Pony With Short Toes

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by C HORSE, Apr 1, 2014.

1. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

Can a pony of only 10hh wear shoes??
    she has short toes and is a little touchy on the hard ground

2. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Think it would be very hard to source the shoes.. all our stockfeeds around here only go to size 1, which does a 14hh-15hh horse (depending on foot size obviously)

Can you get old mac boots that small? They might be better if only touchy on hard ground? Often is they aren't lame, but touchy, they will harden up with light walking work on the surface.

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Last week I was over in Tamworth, and we visited a farrier supplies store, it was like a Bunnings for farriers! They had hundreds upon hundreds of different shapes, types and sizes of horse shoe. I probably only saw 5% of what they had - so, my suggestion is yes, if they can send man to the moon, you probably can get shoes for a mini, your only difficulty may be finding a farrier who is willing to put them on :)

4. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

We had shoes on my 11h pony, so it can't be too much different? I do have an amazing farrier that always goes above and beyond though :wub:

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I've recently seen front shoes on Facebook on a mini pony. I'm just trying to remember who has that pony now (remember the pony's name, but not who owns her :eek: ). I'm pretty sure she had them taken off again shortly after and went with boots instead.

C Horse, can you put a photo up (if people behave themselves :p )? I'm curious about her being footsore at the end of Summer months.

6. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

I'll play the devils advocate and say have a barefoot trimmer take a look at her. It may be that she just needs some readjusting/balancing over the next few weeks/months and she'll come good - cheaper than shoes and a heck of a lot better for her health. Otherwise I'd say have a look at Renegade hoof boots but ideally these should be applied in conjunction with barefoot trimming :)*

7. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Yes you can.

I would suggest pushing her through it for a couple of weeks though, their feet do harden up.

My QHTB gelding used to be HELL to walk out on the road, now we road ride at least three times a week and he's happy to walk out. Felt horrible doing it the first month or so, but it has improved the strength of hie hooves.

8. abi

abi Well-known Member

yes they can , but as there is not much call for them apparently suppliers are not going to stock them, my pony is 11.1 and wears size 000, he has to wear shoes as we do a lot of road work in his cart ,average 10-15km per day . I will buy them myself via the farrier if necessary. Wecant compete with out shoes

9. C HORSE

I had a Barefoot Trimmer (friend) look at her on Thursday and fixed her feet up
    She is still sore on them thou...
    I hope she will improve as I want to start working her and taking her out....

10. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

Be patient :) if her feet weren't properly balanced prior to the first trim, the transition can take a bit of time- even after the second, third, fourth trims... Depends on the hoof and the horse!

Talk to your trimmer- tell her how she's going and ask for her opinion. Give your pony at least a week and monitor her soreness. It isn't always easy in the beginning but it will be worth the wait!

11. Jacky Y

Jacky Y New Member

What is this ponies diet? Too much sugar in the diet can certainly lead to tender feet. Horses need a high fibre low sugar diet. Some of the grass we grow is not good for horses.

12. C HORSE

I have only had pony a week and a half :-/