Pony Club Instructors

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by cosycreekfarms, Jan 11, 2010.

1. cosycreekfarms

cosycreekfarms Active Member

HI
    I hope someone can help me sort this out..I keep getting different information and advice
    At a PCAWA Rally you can have volunteer coaches and paid coaches. If the coaches volunteer then their Public Liability/Professional Indemnity is covered by the PCAWA insurance BUT if they are paid do they need their own insurance to coach at PC? Our insurance has stated that if the paid coaches do not have their own insurance then our insurance policy will not protect our members should the paid coaches actions cause an accident or injury.....Do all PC paid coaches have to have their own insurance? Do all paid PC coaches have to be qualified? We are a country PC with approx 25 members and we use mostly volunteer coaches BUT if we wanted to pay it seems we can only pay "self insured" coaches.
    I would really appreciate any feedback you may offer.

2. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

PLease ring PCAWA to confirm but I am pretty sure that any coach (volunteer, paid, qualified, not qualified) is only insured through PCAWA if they are on your club's strength return - or another club's strength return.

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I was told by the local PCAWA that I could not teach on their grounds on days other than rally days because I was not NCAS accredited.

The club will need to read their insurance policy very carefully. Although I would have my own insurance their insurance is rendered null and void if they allow non NCAS instructors. This according to teh President of the club

4. cosycreekfarms

Thanks
    I spoke to PCAWA today...
    Paid coaches must be a Mounted Coach member (of at least one PCAWA Club)and be on the Strength Return of the club paying them..or Pay Day Membership for the Rally they instruct at.
    I think it is a little clearer now...

5. megan

megan Well-known Member

wow i would expect that this will make it even hard to get instructors

6. cosycreekfarms

Maybe we need to get written feedback from PCAWA...

7. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

Paid coaches SHOULD be qualified, as they are not going to get insurance otherwise. And if they are getting paid for it, they are doing it as a business and they should be declaring it tax wise and should carry their own insurance.

Volunteer coaches that have their Qualifications via PC are all covered with PC insurance.

8. cosycreekfarms

Thanks for that
    I think we have one of your lovely horses here..a beautiful roan filly Strawberry.....

9. Reigate

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Cosycreekfarms, yep you have Allen Park Strawberry by the sounds of it :) Shes a little cutie :)

Did you get the email I sent you about her being able to be registered with the Roan Horse and Pony Society but not part welsh? (Mum wasnt registered).....

She is a lovely little horse that one!!! :)

10. cosycreekfarms

no I didn't...but we just sent her papers off to the roan society....we put her sire and dam as unknown......and her name as Strawberry...hope that is ok.
    She is a lovely pony and working beautifully with her new 13 year old rider.

11. Reigate

Ahhhhhh found the post!

Hmmmmmmmmm another one gone into cyberspace (emails that is!).....

Sire is Allen Park Bald Eagle and her dam is known as The Roan Pony Mare....... lol....

Baldy was a black and white station bred stock horse (half TB), and mum is a little bay roan of welsh breeding by the look of her :)

Glad to hear shes going really well for her rider :)