Polo Wraps

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by wattle6180, Nov 4, 2009.

1. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

With all the modern designs and materials available, boots are so the way to go :))

2. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

I have to agree with that and some of them even look just as spunky and wash just as well.

3. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Popped back in to agree with Sherreem's last post. The rules of the club on the day are the rules...whether we like them or not :eek: I removed my polo wraps rather than put padding under a wrap that was not designed for that purpose.

I, personally, don't agree that generically shaped boots can provide the same fitting as polo wraps. Again, it comes down to what your are hoping to achieve from your tack. My wraps are for early mornings, increasing warmth to the lower leg and thus improving the circulation. False belief? Maybe :D Our horses wear boots in jumping and on trails (if it's not to the beach).

I also use the wraps purely for aesthetic purposes while taking photos :D

4. himitsu

wraps do trap heat in, but this isnt a good thing. I think the horse's tendon's are generally designed to work in cold weather as much as in warm. It is not like humans legs as ours have muscles which do get cold and stiff. Tendons can overheat though since wraps (and boots, esp neoprene) trap the heat and dont allow the natural cooling of bare legs.

5. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

after reading through this thread I'm giving up bandaging LOL

I bandaged my girl last night before my ride, and I did it same as usual, and it was pretty much exactly as you described himitsu. But far out I'm lazy and am getting over bandaging, unbandaging all the while the flies are on me, then what if I didn't do it right. Stuff it I give up LOL easier to boot.

Any suggestions on good supportive but not restricting or overheating boots? Have heard bad things about some generic boots...

Agree on the heating thing too, we don't need to keep our horses leg warm, not good for tendons AT ALL!!! :confused:

6. himitsu

theres no such thing as "supportive" - but i love the look of clarendon boots (and am planning to get a set). Bella Equestrian sell them.

7. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

I've just bought some of the air-cooled premier ones from dark selections (for protection when jumping not support) but they fit really well and look super (and they are ment to not heat up the tendon).

8. Im getting some of those for christmas for my galloway :) they look sooo good..
    i had the choice in between a WII and those.. and naturally i picked the horsey thing :eek:

9. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Good choice WII gets boring.

10. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

Just got some too TBPA .I rode in them last night abit of flat then abit of pace work and they were great scubbed up good too after being in our Black horrible sand :)

11. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

yep these are what emma uses on her boy for xc, have had them for over a year now and still look like new. just chuck them in the washing machine after an event and hey presto back to new.

12. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

thanks h, was looking at the Clarendon ones too.

Just looking at the Dark Selections range also.

Another q, would sport type boots do more damage than good? as in the sling back ones, not the cheapy HL ones but like the Kevlar range on the Dark Selections website. Am thinking they would be a bit restrictive to fetlock movement as there is no v happening at the front??

13. himitsu

My concern with these type of boots is the material = overheating. I do know people who use them and have done for a long time though with no problems. But i know people who have done lots of things i wouldnt do with no probs too so i guess thats nothing to go by! If you do go for that style of boot i think go for professionals choice, they are such better quality and fit than the copies. Personally I dont beleive they support at all, and think boots protect from knocks and that is all, so may as well get something with sheepskin/fleece lining to allow some escape of heat.

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

mmmm apparantely these premier equine ones are designed to cool and not heat ??

am thinking now, should I just get a pair of xc type boots (probably Clarendon) for our schooling, and riding out, that way if we ever go xc (maybe one day when I get the guts! *#)) I have a set that I can use, rather than have to go out and get a different set.

15. himitsu

The person i know who uses professional choice boots, does x/c in them too :) But yes clarendon will do that job just as well! just do a bit of web surfing and look at different boots from around the globe - aussie dollar is strong so buying from overseas has never looked better, but we do have access to good quality boots here too :)

16. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yeah I don't actually believe they are designed to cool(seems impossible) only not heat up. I also believe that boots are really only for knocks to have boots supportive enough to make a difference you really do run the risk of a bandage bow and why would you want to strap your horse if it is not necessary. In the end I went with the premier xc ones because they have some strike protection for xc the clarendon do not though I really considered them as they are nice boots.
    Also with the pro choice ones etc they are not that great for XC/trail rides as they pick up a lot of seed and can become heavy if you go through water.

17. himitsu

Dont the clarendon 3 day event ones? I think strike protection is less important than strike shock absorbtion. A plastic plate hitting your cannon bone will hurt as much as a log etc. They need to absorb and spread the shock, which the clarendon ones are supposed to do. Wonder if thinline make x/c boots... hmm how off topic lol

18. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yeah the kevlar ones do but the basic ones are not that much more protective than work boots. The strike protection is not quite plastic as you are imaginging more high density foam with kevlar outer. Just seemed better for the price air vents were a bonus thinline do make boots but didn't seem that much info around. Any way so far off topic I'll PO now because I only use bandages on tails and injuries.

19. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

OMG Will someone please find that information and put us all out of our misery!!!!!!!!! cos i just dont know wether to bandage or not!!!!!!!!!
    *#)*#)*#)*#)

20. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Perhaps it would be slightly less confusing if the boots discussion moved to their own thread??? Just a thought....:}