Polo Wraps

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by wattle6180, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

*#) I think i'll stick to boots hahaha.

2. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I use bandages a fair bit and never had a problem,
    I use them for exersise on my boy who is a paddler as I dont want him hurting him self, so I do use them at PC in flat lessons and I have never had a problem but for jumping I do have boots.I do use padding with all bandages thats how I have been taught and I have seen terrible things happen to a horse who had polo bandages used with out which resulted in a pulled tendon :(
    I also used bandages to travel,stable or after xc
    I do tend to use boots abit because they are easier and quicker.

3. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Hi Himitsu,

I have to read enough scientific papers as part of my work so I don't really have the patience to research a lot more papers - I would rather work with my horses in the limited spare time that I have. (because I have horses :p bloody vicious circle) I tend to go by the tried and true method. I deal with a lot of horsey people some with lots of experience and some with less from and through observations and talking to them this is what I have come up with. And if I am paying top dollar for a pair of boots then they damn sure want to be doing what they advertise to do otherwise it is false advertising and they can be held up for legal action.

Although if you have anything unbiased and independant to read I will try and have a go at it. And also I would be interested in reading anything you have in regards to bandaging properly.

I admire your enthusiasm!

Cheers

4. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

i didnt learn to bandage through reading papers - my coach is a vet and top level dressage competitor and i worked for her and was taught correct bandaging method there.

Start at inside just above fetlock and bandage down and around to bottom front of fetlock, roll bandage diagonally down towards the outside/back, under fetlock and back up around to form a ^ shape at the centre front of the fetlock, then continue to roll the bandage around top of fetlock and around, all the way up to the knee, where you secure bandage on outside of leg. Spacing of bandage must be the same all the way down and each part of the leg has same thickness of bandage over it. You roll it on rather than pull it tight as you bandage, so that it is firm but even pressure. If you flick the front of the bandaged leg it should make the same sound all the way down. You should not be able to see any bandage pad, and the bandage pad should go from outside, around back over tendons, front of leg, back of leg and finish on inside of the leg. The pad should go from below knee to below fetlock.

hard to find pics that show bandages well...
    [​IMG]

this may interest you too:
    The Horse | Researchers Call for Standards, Testing of Protective Boots

5. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I was taught to bandage the same way..sort of.... but was taught to start from below the knee and then go down and back up but with the same principle of going below the fetlock and forming a V in the centre.

Another thing that was stressed to me about bandaging is when you start on the inside of the leg make sure you go around the front of the leg and then towards the back so the tendon isn't being "pulled" to the outside on the leg but more so to the inside..... "Pulled" is probably the wrong word but i'm having trouble finding the correct work atm. *#) hope that makes sense.

I only really use polo bandages when i lunge...boots make life so much easier and most of the time now i don't boot or bandage unless i'm jumping bigger jumps or going out bush.

6. himitsu

yerh you would want pretty long bandages to do it that way though, and it creates a thicker covering over the leg. Maybe this is a good way to do polobandages for stabling etc, but we just used elastic ones as described above at work.

7. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

hehehe. I bandage the same as both himitsu and sexy ritzy**)

My hacks are done like SR. And I agree - you need to bandage so the bandage goes from front to back as you go around the leg. The end of the bandage should face backwards. I see sooo many people rolling back to front. It's the same as boots - straps face towards the back!

Some of my trotters wear bandages on their hinds (vet wraps) and I roll like Himitsu. I have to say though, I don't use padding under these (I think i might be shot here) as they tend make it too bulky and interfere with the horse's natural gait. I haven't had any issues with tendon injuries, but I think it is due to even and correct technique, meaning that there are no pressure points. Maybe I've just been lucky....

The funniest bandage job i've seen was elastic bandages (with no padding) rolled from the knee, under the fetlock and done up around the pastern!! As you can imagine, they stayed on about 1 minute during the workout.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  8. himitsu

this is incorrect:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    note the lumps and folds in the bandage!

i know this is a stable bandage, but just htought id show what you DONT do when bandaging - ie pull the bandage out that far, just roll it around against the leg so as to maintain even pressure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    without the ^ at the front the bandage bunches as the horse's joint moves.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  9. Freestyle

Yep - the red ones at the top show the incorrect rolling that SR and I tried to explain too. They are rolling towards the front! Oooh I hate that sooo much!

The bottom ones... What can I say.. Why bother?

10. himitsu

and yet the bottom ones is what PCAWA teach....

11. Freestyle

Are you serious?! :mad:

12. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

It pains me to say that i agree with you himatsu but that must mean that I am in the 10% that do it right cause the way you explained it is exactly the same way we do them for polo and polox we start under the knee and go down and around the fetlock and back up again with even spacing and pressure I was also taught that when you are rolling the wrap after you have washed it then you roll it with the same tension that you want it to go on the leg so that there is no need for pulling when you are putting it on the horse. Still dont like the idea of padding mainly cause in wet weather it adds alot of weight to there legs

13. himitsu

thats good that you bandage like this. i wince every time i see people at dressage things, ARC, PC, clinics, lessons etc with aweful bandages...

14. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Thanks himitsu for the read,

I don't really use bandages these days as I am too lazy :p but its good to get a cap on these sort of things.
    Just one question for the bandagers, hard to explain but there are several people up here that run the bandage along the back of the leg upwards ebfore they start rolling it. I have also seen the pro-tec(?) bandages with a flap on them for this purpose. Why would someone do this?

15. simbin

simbin Gold Member

It keeps the bandage in place making it more secure.

16. himitsu

i guess it would also act to reduce pressure points on the tendon area?

17. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I was taught at pony club and we were taught pretty close to the way you described himitsu,I spose it depends peoples interpretations as well...That is the way I Bandage and how I was taught although that wasnt from the coach it was from an older pony club member:p

18. himitsu

all the pony club mannuals i have seen, and the way that was being taught when i went to a couple of rallys, was like the chestnut in red bandages above.

19. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

sorry to correct you here Fe but boots dont have to be taped. only bandages, and yes with 3 rounds, top middle and bottom with one of these being over the do up velcro part. or have to be stitched.

boots only have to be taped if the do up/velcro part is compromised in some way as in worn or broken.

bandages regardless of what type must have padding underneath, under pony club rules and are not allowed in dressage phase.

20. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

i know where you are coming from himitsu, regarding bad bandaging.

at pony club you are allowed to go below the fetlock but it still states (and our girls were shown this at a C* assesment when being assessed for lunging) that under padding should be down there too. just about impossible to do as most padding is not shaped to do this with.

but if you ride at a pc event then you must follow there gear check rules whether you agree with them or not.

(i gear check yet still dont agree with all the rules but i have to enforce them at pc and events)