Polo Wraps

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by wattle6180, Nov 4, 2009.

1. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Who uses them and how do you apply them? We use them quite often when riding is going to be more rigorous than a gentle trail ride. I apply without packing underneath and have always done this. I was pulled up for it recently and asked to remove the wraps as this is not appropriate?

So, for those who use them (and if there are any experts about), what is the norm? Specifically EFA and PC rules. I am researching away atm on this topic :eek:

I don't view polo wraps as being the same as bandages....am I being pedantic?

2. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

maybe they weren't on correctly? It really irks me to see bandages on horses that aren't on properly, it does far more damage than good

i use bandages with pads on my girl when working her, we work on hard ground, and she is doing alot more demanding work, so i feel that she is better off with wrapped legs.

3. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I use them the same way as you. Without packing underneath. Always have and that is how i was taught to put on polo wraps in the US and used them that way at comps as well **)

I have bandages but they are made out of differnt material to polo wraps and i use padding underneath them...but i also don't ride in those bandages. :} they are stable bandages or i use them to put on legs if floating a long way.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

They were on correctly B&T :)) The wrapping technique was not the issue. The person who asked me to remove them said they MUST have packing underneath. This is the bit that I had not heard of before with polo wraps.

I use polo wraps to promote blood flow to the lower leg. It's my opinion that packing underneath a stretchy wrap would actually cause more *play*.

5. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

From memory pony club rules are they have to have wadding underneath and they have to be either stitched on or taped 3 times. Same as Boots. All velcro's have to be taped.

6. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Wattle out of interest, how to bandages encourage blood flow to the legs?

7. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Fe, they are snuggy :D They keep the lower leg warmer. While they do provide some, gentle support to the leg structure, polo wraps are not designed to be a support aide. More for minor brushings.

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

The rule book does mention the tape. We do put tape on our wraps. We don't tape our Neoprene boots though, but do make sure the velcro goes between the buckles.

ETA I forgot...Bear's white open fronts have a locking down type velcro setup, not the buckles.

9. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

From memory even those sorts of boots need to be taped. But this is going back at least 15years when I was doing PC and ODE's etc. It would not surprise me at all if it has changed.

10. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

PC rules is that ALL bandages MUST have padding underneath regardless of material type... and be stiched or taped.

Velcro boots do NOT need to be taped... dont get me started on how many times ive had THAT argument with a gear checker!! lol

Just adding im not sure of the EWA rules on bandages - ive never used polo wraps for XC, only elastic so have always had padding and tape ;)

11. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

the problem with polo wraps is after one or two washes they havent got the same effect as theyre stretched and then they need to be worn with bandage pads on underneath, pretty sure pc rules state you have to have padding on underneath any tupes of bandages & have to be taped aswelll ;)

12. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Polar fleece style polo wraps are not designed for padding underneath. They have little or no stretch and they are the padding; with bandage pads you are just adding way too much bulk to your horses legs.

Stretchy bandages are the ones designed for padding.

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

That is basically the point though...are polo wraps classified as bandages. To me, no. I have entirely different products for use when bandaging. Also, the bandaging is for a different purpose again....so maybe I am just pedantic :eek:

Tilda, try washing your wraps in laundry bags ;) It's soooo much easier and they last longer :D

ETA We don't use polo wraps on XC, nor trail rides. We use neoprene boots

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  14. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

It's a shame really, I'm addicted to polo wraps, and did weeks of 'how to apply polo wraps and bandages' at my tafe course. So I definatly am doing it right. I don't see the point in putting padding underneith polo wraps. What a silly PC rule... Might just switch to stupid boots. :(

15. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

Finally a subject I know a bit about. I have been involved in polo and or polocrosse for over 20 years and at polo you never see the wraps with padding underneath and they are used on horses that are worth alot of money so the support and protection must be there. We also have wraps that are over 10 years old and are still as good as the day we bought them. The padding aspect only came in due to a pony club ruling and if the bandages are put on properly then there is no need for padding I honestly think it is the usual overkill by pony club and before you string me up yes I have been involved in pony club for many years

16. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

Tape used to be required but the boot companies said it was silly so they took it out. Lots of people use it anyway, as peace of mind, or for older boots, or to matcxh in with their xc or ponyclub colors!

From what I've heard, the elasticy bandages that are like tail wraps need the padding under them so the pressure isn't too much, but the thick polo bandages are alright?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  17. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I never really got how a piece of material protects a horses legs? LOL
    I just use boots, and i always tape them at shows.

I think if the horse was to whack a jump or their legs the wraps wouldn't do anything anyway?

But yeah i don't get the point in having padding under the wraps.

18. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

from my experience 90% of people who use bandages dont know how to bandage properly - they probably think they do.

Bandages should ALWAYS Have a good pad under them, unless you want bowed tendons.

Bandages DO cause overheating, and they DO increase frequency of shock waves up the horse's legs.

There is very very little evidence to suggest any additional support to healthy tendons from bandaging.

Boots are a MUCH safer option, quicker, provide better protection from knocks, much easier to put on correctly.

post pics of your bandages and ill tell you why they are not correct :)

19. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

himitsu I have "bandaged" horses for many years for some of the leading galloping trainers. 10-20 horses a morning, three times a week for pace work,trials and hitouts...and of course for racing. This is bandaging at it's finest IMO, damn expensive animals under extreme pressure. I'm pretty sure I know how to bandage ;)

I am talking about wrapping, with polo wraps and the rules applicable to wraps.

Lauren, as explained, I don't use the wraps as protection. Yes, they provide some form of protection from light scuffing, brushing, or in polo from mallets, chucks or other horses hooves, but this is not the purpose I use wraps for.

20. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

which is why I never used to bandage, didn't want to do it wrong. My instructor recently showed me how, and made me practice to make sure I get it right. Now I bandage all the time, when you ride on ground as hard as ours, legs just need some sort of protection IMO