Pin Worms

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Elanda, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My pony is rubbing the top of his tail, he is up to date with worming etc. I thought it might be because he is in lovely Gosnells black sand, and this is very drying, so I have given it a good wash and rubbed olive oil into his dock. But a couple of Stockies have told me that it could be Pin worms (UGH). Of course it is only show pony doing this and not retired pony aaah. They did tell me the name of a cream, but had a huge day (at the sales) and can't remember which stockie told me and what it was:confused:

2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Have the same prob Goddie, one out of five horses does this.
    Would be interested in that ceam too.:))

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

"bump" for arvo mob:)*

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

I have found that some of the "mectin" based wormers are no longer effective against pinworms. I wrote to the supplier who advised other horse owners had reported the same problem, and that I should worm with a different wormer that is not mectin based for about a year.
    I used ammo which seemed to help.

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Thanks Wendy, what I am after is a cream, I think it is applied anally?:)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  6. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

I have the same problem at the moment......and my boy is wormed regulary butis rubbing the top of hos tail out..........cream would be good

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

"Bump" Was it Old Hack and Premier?? Met too many people have forgotton who is who. Was when I was buying tail wrap and talking to the lady who has adopted the whippet??

8. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Hi Goodie, It was me.
    The cream i used and i presume it is an old remedy as i was told many years ago by an old race horse guy is called Whitfields ointment, You buy it at a chemist and just put a bit on your finger and Yes im sorry but poke it up his little bottom and smear it around in and out. I think we did it once a week for about 3-4 weeks. Might just want to do a little patch test first in his cheeky bottom (no hairy bit)
    My old horse did exactly what Goodie has done and left himself with a bald tail. This cream seemed to help, hope you get some help too. :)

9. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Whitfields Ointment is a combination of salicylic acid and benzoic acid and its use is for removing thickened skin (like on the feet) and things like tinea on the feet (because it sloughs off the top layer with the bug in it). Ouch I would not be happy to pop it into the rectal area on mucous membranes!! It could be "working" as it causes rectal discomfort and hence rubbing causes more discomfort and hence they stop!!
    I find horses tend to rub their tails at the start of warmer whether from more of a sweat itch, not so much worms. If my horses start doing this I wash the top of their tails and bottoms with a bit of Quititch daily and it seems to settle it down quickly.

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Thanks OBHH, I knew it was one of you:confused: Thanks everyone else for your help, I will keep it in mind, he is drenched and wormed regularly (will try different wormer next):)

I dont know if it is Pinworms just thought I'd explore options The olive oil massaged into his dock has stopped him itching at the moment. But will still look into the sneeky worms:)* how do I check for them (other than waiting til dark with a torch LOL?)

11. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Why do you just get a worm egg count done??...that will you a good idea of the effectiveness of your worming regimen!