Pigeon Toed Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Jessica0368, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Jessica0368

Jessica0368 Well-known Member

A friend of mine brought a horse today that it slightly pigeon toed, She is a 4 yr old Thoroughbred. I was just wondering if it affects the horse in anyway, if it can be corrected by a farrier and also what causes a horse to become pigeon toed? Also if when she is riding her wether putting a tendon boot or bandages on would help this? She isn't knocking her other leg or anything just thought it would maybe support it more?

2. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

She shouldn't knock because pigeon toed horses are more likely to paddle and not flick. Depending what your friend wants to do with the horse and the severity of it, it shouldn't affect the horse at all really. I would much rather have a slighty pigeon toed horse that one that toes out. As for the farrier, it depends on where the faults starts. Does it come from the leg or the foot? Ask the farrier next time he comes, but unless it is major it shouldn't really cause much of a problem unless breed showing where a judge is looking for correctness.
    Have edited to say, I wouldn't be too concerned about booting. Oh, and it may affect if she wants to officially hack, as again, correctness of legs is a factor but someone who officially hacks could probably shed more light on that

3. Jessica0368

well i think she just want's to do ponyclub, pleasure riding and maybe some unofficial hacking. It doesn't seem to affect her either i was just wondering about it.

4. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

You can start corrective shoeing when they are younger and it can fix or lessen it, it just gets harder to do and less likely to change the older they get. Generally it's just a conformation fault and causes no problems.

5. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I think it's to late to correct it now, should have been done as a weanling.
    Should not affect her at all, but judges will pick it up at breedshows etc.
    No prob for PC at all. :)

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

If your friend is in Albany too, get Tony Ward to look at him/her.

Hes a very good farrier and is very experienced with corrective shoeing/trimming. :)*

7. Jessica0368

yes she is i will tell her. I use Tony and i'm very happy with the job he does another one thats good is Tony Riley?

8. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

You just have to be careful with corrective shoeing when they are older - it is likely to put some degree of strain on her tendons and ligaments, as she has grown and formed to accomodate her pigeon toes. Like Horsetalk said, it should have been corrected when she was young and soft :) bit late now. It would put her at a higher risk of injury ie strains and sprains.

9. Roe

Roe Banned

I had a horse that was pigeon toed and it could not be corrected. He had to have front shoes on other wise he would go lame and I am not sure if this was because he was pigeon toed or not.

Cos i did a bit of hacking on him the farrier could put the shoes on to hide some of the pigeo toed however I am sure the judges could still see it.

I did eventing on him and I was jumping 2f6 and he had no issues jumping I did get told from his previous ower that he most likley wouldn't jump over 3 f however I highly doubted that. I didn't go any higher because i was too scared of t he cross country jumps.

I really don't think it dis advantages your horse unless you are doing something like hacking or breed shows because it is a conformation thing.

They learn to live with it :) Enjoy your new horse :)

10. ulstersgirl

ulstersgirl New Member

i have had acouple of pigeoned toed horses. one farrier told me that they can often be more sure footed. i kept them shoed and had no problems with them. i also used to do alot of rough bush riding ,through steep country etc and had no problems. spose alot of it depends on the severitiy of it and they way its managed. :)

11. Jessica0368

yes she is only marginally pigeon toed. When she is standing you cant even notice only when she is moving.

12. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I wouldn't worry. Donna's horse Crafty is a bit pigeon toed & it has never stopped him from anything. Never been unsound & he works hard & jumps high. :)