Photos of the 'Mother Ship' aka Kenoath's foot/abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by GoneRama, May 13, 2011.

1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Mmmm might run the horses up tomorrow morning, soak his foot then let him out for the day. He is moving rather well on it at the moment and it would save my feed a bit more and make him a bit happier.

2. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

I think you'll have a very happy horse putting him back out with his mates **) Hope it bursts soon for you

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Mmm he may even knock it on something and bust it or weaken it a bit more. Run them up in the arvo to put him in the yard will get him trotting along too. I'm thinking the more active the better.

4. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I have been reading this thread, hoping everytime I have a looksie that the abscess has burst. No new suggestions from me though, just sending hugs cause I think you really need some :(

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Thanks peta. Yup it's certainly testing my patience out that's for sure.

6. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Maybe it's a watched pot issue...if we all look over there *points at shiney thing* .... waiting....waaaaiiiiiiting...

7. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Any luck with those access roads yet GR? I see in the other thread a few horses have come up from Katherine to the station, does this mean access is on the improve?

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yup roads are open and graded, those horses came in in a stock crate on a truck yesterday (really nice horses too).

The problem I face, and don't anyone dare shoot me down for this, is I honestly cannot afford to take him to a vet :eek: I have this trip to Brisbane to pick up the float to pay for and it cannot be put off due to the difficulty of my OH getting leave from work and finding someone to look after the place while we are gone. I do not need to go further into my financial situation on a public forum.

Yes, this horse more than likely needs to be taken to a vet, please don't anyone think I don't know that. If I had known this jolly thing was going to take this long then I would never have started this thread, but has and I did and hindsight is a marvellous but useless thing.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  9. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

At least you are honest GR, some people just make a multitude of excuses when funds are always the most significant limiting factor in treating the health of an animal.....and no you dont have to go into any detail.

10. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Better not be any of the horses I was planning on looking at in Katherine :)))

Was planning on heading out there in a couple of weeks to view a few goodies!

11. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Your alright Gonerama, many of us have been there before. I would put him back out in the paddock if he is more mobile now and see how he goes. Like I said before you have done your best.

Troppo are you still looking for a horse?

12. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

Agreed stick him out in the paddock check on him twice a day ;) there are a few lovely vets on here maybe PM one and just have a chat see if there is anything you should be doing especially once it has burst. And any other suggestions they might have :D
    Good Luck with it all!

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ok, new theory, pus junkies won't like it but.....

OH spoke to the farrier and he said that while it is rare he has seen abscesses not burst out but actually reabsorb into the body. I'm starting to think this could be the case for kenoath.

14. RustyRidge Clydesdales

RustyRidge Clydesdales Well-known Member

I do believe this was said somewhere back a bit?? Can't remember who though :p

15. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Awwwwwww nuts :-(

16. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I was thinking that it may be getting reabsorbed. It will always have a bit of a lump if it does as the scar tissue inside never really returns to normal. The other issue with reabsorbed abcesses is that the buggers sometimes tend to continue to reoccur from time to time.

Chuck him out in the paddock and just take it week by week. If he sounds up in a month or so start working him like normal.

17. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Mmmm was probably me!

Well I just reckon he's walking a bit better on it at the moment, sometimes when he strides out you can barely tell he's lame and of course he does do a bit of a hop and a shuffle at other times. He also managed a bit of a hobbly trot this afternoon.

I'll still put him in the yards over night and give him a feed because he certainly needs that but wandering around with the mob during the day should be good for him. I'll run the horses up tomorrow morning so he doesn't get all stressy about not being able to find them.

18. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

ok you probably have had so much advice its overflowing and I am by no means in any way knowledgable about absesses but my Mare has turned up lame today and so upon some investigating I have come across this little bit of information :)

A poultice created from linseed mash has been said to soften the hoof/band as well as increase blood circulation, so if your horse's abscess must heal on its own give this poultice a try. It may help speed up the process and alleviate some of the pain. (A linseed poultice is created by boiling linseeds into a mash, which is then spread across the abscessed hoof and wrapped.)

Remember to soak the hoof with the water and cider vinegar solution once daily until the abscess appears to have drained completely. Since exercise increases blood circulation, taking your horse for a walk daily can also speed up the draining process? not that your horse will be thrilled with the prospect at first!

19. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

Also incase you needed another abcess idea- bran and epsom salts. Brought my boys abcess under control. I don't envy you Gonerama and hope things look up.

20. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Aww, but puuussssss....
    But really, that's probably good if it reabsorbs, you don't have to deal with an open wound.