Photos of the 'Mother Ship' aka Kenoath's foot/abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by GoneRama, May 13, 2011.

1. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

I know you probably don't want any more talk of vets, but can you explain the situation to the vet and then pay them off a bit at a time????

I've had vets out for absesses and as long as you don't get the vet wrap and expensive poultice pad from them, it doesn't work out anymore expensive than a normal consult. Maybe, $50 to $75?????? I guess then you pay for the antibiotics if he needs them, but mine never have.

Good luck, hope it bursts overnight and you don't have to spend anymore energy thinking about it :):)

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ok well he's out in the paddock. Great way to start the day hooning around 500 acres on a quad bike in the early morning looking for horses to chase.

Sim I am still paying off the last vet bill that was for his eye. The cost of on farm consultation for that one was $88 alone and I wasn't charged travel.

3. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

i think you will find th cost of getting a vet out to the middle of nowhere a whole dif ballgame sim. in most cases, unless its a very valuable animal, its not an option even a well cashed up person would take.

hang in there GR, something will happen eventually! trust in th stockmen's advice too - they have been dealing with horses in isolation and are usually pretty spot on.

and give th abcess a very stern talking to for me :p

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

There you go Sim, roads are open but it is a good 3 hr + drive to get here which would cost me a little more than $75 ;)

5. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Howz it all going GR? Did tipping him out help at all?

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I have no idea Siren because I haven't laid eyes on him since I let him back into the paddock. The head stockman saw him up at the cattle yards today, said he looked all right so I'm going to run with that and treat myself to a sleep in tomorrow morning as I really cannot be bothered driving around for half an hour looking for horses at the crack of dawn.

Sounds slack but I really need the sleep.

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Sleep... nothing ever died from a hoof abscess.
    One person's neglect is another person's masterly inactivity.
    If the lameness is improving - run with it. Pay off one vet bill, wait for the wet to finish, then if you are still worried, hi you to a vet for xrays (which is honestly the only thing I think a vet can do for you at this stage that you cannot do for yourself).
    We all like neat endings (or in this case, messy ones!) but we have also all been in that situation where the expected does not happen, the horse looks at you as if to say "What?? I feel better"... and every human involved is left frustrated.
    You have done what you can, Kenoath is out with his mates... have a rest, give it a few days, and reassess it then with a clearer head and a brighter eye.
    New photos after a few days NOT poulticed would be good, maybe?

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

Cannot like this enough Anna!!!!

GR - you have done basically within your power.......be proud that you have done so well in the situation!

Horses have been slicing & dicing themselves for thousands of years, often surviving....not to mention many an abcess, stone bruise, cough, cold etc......

HUGS..............................:)):)):)):)):)) several of these and a sleep in!!

(and we all want pics of the new float when you finally get it, preferably with Kenoath in it :) )

9. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Thanks AnnaE :)

I will most certainly get some more photos next time I lay eyes on the beast.

Sometimes nature knows what is best and we just have to know when to step back and let things sort themselves out. I was a bit sceptical and worried about turning him out in the paddock but neither of us was happy with him being in the yard.

10. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Dont forget the photos woman :D

And make that sleep worthwhile, you deserve it :))

11. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Yeah Gonerama I love that 'anyone seen the horses today'!! Sometimes all you get is 'fresh' tracks at the waterhole. Oh well still on four legs, must be OK. I really miss that but don't miss the driving around looking for the sod's. Sometimes I am sure they were holed up in some scrub killing themselves laughing, saying to each other, 'Look at these tools driving around in circles!':D.

Have a good sleep matey. You deserve it.

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Lol GTD I soooo know what you mean! With the way the scrub is out there at the moment all they would have to do is put their heads down and you wouldn't be able to see them. Termite mounds are a bastard too, it's funny how much they look like a horse at times. It was great when the rugs went on the horses, made them heaps easier to spot.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  13. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I even thought about putting radio trackers on mine in the Gascoyne at one stage:p. They had them on the Bilbies out there so I wanted to get one for my horse. Thought I better not, I imagined some enviro dept hippy bloke looking for a Bilby with his radio attenna and him coming face to face with my horse. Now that would have take some explaining.

Rugs are great. Kenoath is a chestnut too so they seem to 'blend' even better with the background:D.

14. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Oooh for some reason whenever I go looking for the horses I suddenly start thinking about how much a GPS tracker would cost. Hmmm they make them for pig dogs surely I could adapt one to fit a horse.

15. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

All righty then. I have good news (not so good news for the pus junkies!)......

I actually managed to find Kenoath this arvo, rug still in tact, fly mask still on and he walked up to me with the most even stride you could find :D No sign of lameness :D I even picked up the other foot to have a look at it and he didn't mind taking the weight on the abscessed foot at all.

I had a look at the foot and the swelling has significantly gone down so looks like it has indeed reabsorbed. I did get the camera out to take photos but the rest of the mob of horses had come over to say hello and look for some feed and OH was getting a little paranoid about his ute getting attacked.

I will run him up to the yards probably this weekend and get some pics and hopefully he'll get some dancing shoes.

16. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

Even though it would of been cool to see pus, I'm really glad to hear the Kenoath is on the mend :)*

17. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Hoof abscesses don't re-absorb, it has either ruptured and it has been one that has been insignificant and difficult to detect or it wasn't an abscess.

But I must say a miraculous recovery all all the same

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Retroremedy my farrier said it is exceptionally rare but he has seen it happen particularly if the horse has been on antibiotics early on in the piece.

It could be getting ready to burst out in that original break in the hoof from the abscess back in January (wouldn't explain how he's not lame any more though because there is no evidence of pus coming out of that break) but I wouldn't rule reabsorption out. If it's not possible, care to explain where it's gone? ';'

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  19. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Well, thats certainly encouraging news.

Horses are funny creatures....they sure know how to teach us that we dont know as much about horses as we think we do.

Fingers crossed for a continues recovery.
    Deb:))

20. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

GR - who cares where it has gone to??? He is not lame and surely that has to be the best end for what has gone on in the last month *#)

Big hugs to you and the boy :)) Best news I have heard all day :)*