Photos of the 'Mother Ship' aka Kenoath's foot/abscess

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by GoneRama, May 13, 2011.

1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

[​IMG]
    Kenoath - not looking too bad considering he's spent the last 10 days in a yard and only being fed the station copra mix (custom blend from Stock Lick Traders specifically for up here), chaff and showtorque.

[​IMG]
    The Mother Ship - what do you reckon? There's an abscess at the coronet band that is getting close to bursting?

[​IMG]
    Apologies for the size and crap quality. Pics were taken on my phone.

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

It looks nasty....hope you get to the bottom of this for sure...

3. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Hard to see on the photo but I would clip all the hair away from the area and make a very warm sugar and soap poultice for it.
    Place poultice on a guaze pad and bandage onto abcess area leaving for at least 24 hrs.
    The warmer you can get it with out of course burning poor Kenoath will help it pull the abcess.
    Otherwise see if they have any venice of turps there and put a huge dollop of that on the guaze and bandage on.
    We use a product called Ichtammol that is very good at pulling out an abcess.

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah same here NG. It's going to be rather impressive when it goes.

5. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Have read the other threads and was really hoping for a shot of the abscess having burst! I love revolting stuff lol.

Not sure about what advice to offer here - all my suggestions you seem to have done! But will list them just in case:

- Epsom salts poultice
    - Magnoplasm
    - Warm water bath
    - Nappy poultice (with epsom salts on) - in my experience nappies make a great poultice for hooves.

Hmmm... will keep thinking. Good luck! And remember I want to gross piccies when all that gunk finally comes out! *#)

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Thanks for that Arylin :)

Going looking for this venice turps stuff tomorrow when I get to Darwin. If I can't find that I'll see if I can get some magnoplasm. Someone else out here also suggested honey.

I've been putting warm (soaked in hot water) animalintex on it for the last few days. Sunday arvo when I get back from Darwin, if it hasn't popped, I'll soak it in some warm water with epsom salts for a bit then put something on it, either venice turps, magnoplasm, whatever, just something.

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

LOL I'll be screaming from the rooftops when this jolly thing finally blows. You can see why I refer to it as The Mother Ship!

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I did consider lancing it but my farrier mate out here said it's best not to. When it finally gets enough pressure to burst itself then there'll be enough pressure behind it to keep exuding the gunk and thus keep infection out. If we lance it, then there's just too big a risk of infection and when we're a good drive to the vet, it's a risk I'm not terribly keen on taking.

9. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Sugar and soap will work just as well as Magnoplasm GR.
    Grate some normal household soap and mix with equal parts of sugar with hot water to form a paste.
    Hubby makes this poultice for anything that needs help moving. Even the kids have had it on at different times :)
    If you can pop some on before you go to darwin it will probably be burst by the time you get back.

Good luck its going to be one very messy hole when it goes.

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I won't be able to do anything with him in the morning as I have to leave here at 5:30 to get across the river by 6:20 at the latest cos high tide is 8:20 and crossing any later than 6:20 is getting a little bit risky.

The joys of living in Oenpelli. I'm so over it :}

11. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Totally sux mate....hanging in there with yay. Fyi am on my phone. Pc is at home, at rellies at gympie :). Left lappy at home...like you said...

12. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Gonerama I know where your coming from. I got 'over' it as well, one of the reasons I was glad to have a horse back in civilisation when I got home. You do get sick of them looking like shite from the wet, getting skanky with things like what Kennoath has at the moment along with the struggle of not having access to stuff you need. Girls next time you duck down to your local feed store or phone a vet who turns up pronto think of how lucky we are.

Your a compassionate horsewoman so it makes it even harder to see them suffer. Hope things improve for Kennoath mate, it has been a long haul and you have done extremely well given all of the challenges. Good on you buddy.

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Your over it! I bet Kenoath is 'over it' also. He looks a bit sad. Hope he gets on the mend soon, and thats going to be nasty when it breaks through.:(

14. samm

samm Gold Member

Wouldn't surprise me if the horse had some seedy toe with the position of where the abscess looks like it going to burst which might be the reason it's taking so long to pop.Have a close look at the white line and see if you can see any sign of it there.

15. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

What I meant Deb is that I am over living in oenpelli. If I want to go to town I can't simply get in the car and nick off like however many millions of people in the country can do. No, I have to consult Willy Weather for the tide times.

If the tides are at a decent time then it's great I can go. Yesterday morning I would have loved to have left at 8am which would have given me time to put the sugar and soap poultice on but I couldn't because high tide was at 8:19. Now I could have tried crossing at the turn of the tide when the water settled, it was only a 5.7m tide and later in the season I could have done this. However, given that there's still a lot of fresh water coming down I can't be guaranteed that it would settle at or below 750mm deep which is the max depth I will take my Prado through at but then it's salt water which accelerates the rusting process.

If it didn't settle at that depth or below then I would be waiting at least another hour and a half before I can cross which would then be cutting a fine line as to whether I got into town before the Stockfeeds store closed which would then mean that my horse may or may not get fed.

Bearing all that in mind it was the safest option for me to get up at 5am to be on the road by 5:30 to hit the crossing by 6:20, 2hrs before high tide as I know that at this time of year that is a guaranteed safe time to be crossing.

I know kenoath would be completely over being sore, I can see that, but that is not what I was referring to when I said I was 'over it'. It's the bs I've detailed above that I'm over. As GTD said, think yourselves lucky you're in civilisation and don't have to consider selling your horse simply because where you live makes it sooo hard to enjoy your favourite sport.

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yeah the farrier did have a squiz at that Samm, going to take him down tomorrow arvo for a second opinion on whether it's at a point where we need to lance it for the simple fact that I don't want it getting much bigger.

The break in the hoof just down from the current abscess is from an abscess he had back in January. The station manager ran the horses in and noticed that Kenoath was a bit lame, 2 days later it burst because it was sooo wet his hoof was stupidly soft and it could do that.

I managed to get some Venice turps yesterday so I will put that on tonight when I get home. Also got a heap of fresh feed so hopefully it will be a good week this week.

17. pso

pso Gold Member

The best way I have found to cook an abcess out is poultice/vetrap, then wrap the foot in rubber (tyre inner tube and gaffa tape);)
    Goodluck!

18. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Gone Rama, please dont feel like you have to explain yourself to me.;)

I understood that when you said 'I'm over it', you meant where you live, and I was meaning that I bet Kenoath was over where you live too, for the simple fact that all the inconveniences of where you live are affecting his recovery at the moment.

We all make choices in life, and where we live is one of them.

When I seperated from my husband two years ago (gosh, that time has flown;)) I could have bought acerage for my horses, but would have to have gone along way from what I call civilization, and I weighed up the pros and cons and decided that the lack of handy vet and farrier help, plus the extra travelling my kids would have to do in order to see their dad, was too much of an inconvenience to warrent it, so I bought a house with no acerage between Byford and Pinjarra.

That is a choice I dont regret for one second, especially when I hear of the struggles you (and others ) have with living remote.

Had I not had children, I might have made a completely different decision though, and certainly would chase a job with big money, even if it meant going remote, as I think thats a wonderful way to set yourself up for a future of less struggle.

I have my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for Kenoath, and I hope you dont think I was having a 'go' at you, as you sounded a bit defensive in your reply.;)

:))Deb

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011
  19. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I hope things look better today Gonerama for him. I ended up not having horses up North because I found it too hard Deb2. Thanks for supporting Gonerama.

Until you have to live with it and see what they go through it is hard to understand. Even getting feed in when the roads are shut is impossible when you have them 'agisted' at the local council common where there are just small yards and no feed available. It was costing me $100 for a bag of chaff at one stage just to get it into town with freight and the fact a bag of chaff cost $50 at the nearest feed store.

A lot of good horses end up with a bullet when they get injured as you can not get them treat them adequately with a lack of vet, no access to medications and the logistics of getting them to town.

Gonerama you have done well, my friend. Just think that this is not forever, one day you will be back where things are easier. I used to find while the wet's got easier to survive as each one passed, staying there got harder as time went on.

20. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Sorry Deb2, I realise I did get a bit defensive and I probably shouldn't have :eek:

Thanks GTD.

Yup, you're not wrong. I've made it through this wet season a lot better mentally but I think I only want to do one more wet then I'll be out.

I just have to keep remembering what the station managers said about their horses last wet. They did it tough, every single one of them had rain scald, they got abscesses and heaps of other little things that needed treating and they lost a tonne of weight. This wet season they've breezed through. A few croc attacks to the station horses, 2 of the personal horses developed uveitis but other than that, they pulled through heaps better than last year. I guess Kenoath is just going through that adjustment phase.