Photo-acupuncture Torches

Discussion in 'Product & Service Promotions' started by holistichorse, Aug 21, 2008.

1. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

Equestricare is the WA Agent for two Photo-Acupuncture torches.
    Both come with easy to use instructions and have 3 diodes emitting 660 nanometers of Red light.

*Torkington Torch - Comes with Your torch, 2 Double Sided Laminated Charts, A ring bound manual and a book "Simple Health Maintenance". $360 inc P&H

*Acu-Light - Comes with torch and a CD containing a 184 page manual on treating "essential points" and specific conditions. $89.95 inc p&h

Both torches are valuable tools for any horseowner.

We also have available Educational Books & DVD's on Acupressure

ENQUIRE NOW

2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Active Member

I'm unclear about the difference in the products. Your website says the acu-light is only for horses. So the torkington torch can be used on other animals? Or humans? How is it different? :confused:

PS: I think '660 nanometers of Red light is redundant' - they're the same thing.;)

3. holistichorse

The Acu-Light can be used on other animals and humans, it is just that the Torkington torch comes with a book "Simple Health Maintenance" that is aimed largely at Humans, so it can be purchased just as a human kit.

The main difference between the two torches is the accompanying literature with them and the casing of the torch itself.

I don't think putting 660 nanometers of Red light is redundant. Yes 660 nanometers can only be red light, but red light has wavelengths between 600-700 nanometers, and these torches only utilise 660nm. Also a number of people, unlike yourself, might understand "red light" but not understand what "660nm" means and vice versa. **)

4. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Is this why my red penlight torch came free in last year's royal show Glowbag? (along with the shock-activated flashing eyeball and screaming flying super daredevil monkey) :D

5. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

You know what Trojane, with all respect (that you lack) you may not like or agree with something, but your "take the P" attitude is getting extremely tiring ...............
    Sounds great Holistichorse :)

6. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

There is actually a bit of evidence behind red-light therapy. I actually have one of these devices and find it surprisingly good for symptomatic relief of pain.

7. Trojane

My apologies to Holistichorse for being disrespectful. I believe you are a lovely caring person and I don't wish to upset you. If this torch does indeed have value I will shut up.

I'm afraid I do get jaded as there is so much weird and wonderful and useless misinformation around it drives me to distraction. I also hate seeing hard won useful knowledge rubbished or ignored.

8. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Noooooo, don't shut up Trojane. You have a wicked sense of humour and I enjoy your posts lol. :D :))

What got into Gaia I don't know, she is friendly, I thought. :) But I hardly know her.

I'm guilty to own one of those things and I used it on my horses and myself.
    *#) :))

9. Koda

Koda New Member

My mum bought one of the torches earlier this year to use on her horses in between treatments, and now I reckon she'll need to buy another one because she uses it so much on herself it barely makes it to the stables!! *#)

I think you'll find that there has been a lot of research done on Red Light Therapy & that most "cold" lasers therapists use are based on the same wavelengths of light they just have lots more diodes!! (My basic understanding). :)*

10. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Nothing "got into me" Horsetalk :confused: I am simply tired of reading posts that ridicule. Holistichorse is an advertiser on this forum and I think she deserves a little more respect for advertising her products. I too appreciate a sense of humor but not when it turns to ridicule. I am still friendly :) I respect Trojane and her opinions, she obviouly has alot of knowledge.
    Cheers :))

11. Trojane

Thanks Horsetalk & Gaia. I will aim to limit the ridicule and be more respectful in future! But I'll try not to bore you as then it'll hurt even more :D

I'm hoping Retroremedy will put me straight on how the thing works and then we'll all be better informed.

I'm off for a fun weekend in Bridgetown so please don't think I'm off sulking - the only sulking will be cause I don't have my computer! :))

12. retroremedy

Have pm'd you Trojane!

13. SomeoneElse

Having an open mind on this, I'd be interested in the science behind it as well.

Wikipedia has a page on light therapy, though very little on this sort of device. Red light is mentioned in the treatment of acne, but it appears blue light is preferred (do horses get acne?:confused: ). There is also some (unproven) concern that blue light may cause DNA damage, and those taking St John's Wort are also contraindicated.

Dr Brian McLaren, who apparently developed this device in association with Torkington, states quite explicitly "The McLaren Photonic Therapy unit, of itself has no healing power of any kind, and no claim as such is made or implied."

14. retroremedy

I will pm you as well Someonelse! :)

15. holistichorse

I think you'll find that is what's called a disclaimer and is a must in order to cover your ass and not be sued!! If you've read his studies they show quite the opposite.
    Retroremedy I would like it if you PM'd me as well as I would like to see what literature you're referring too, because if I haven't read it I'd like too!!

16. SomeoneElse

Ah, but "A statement of fact cannot be insolent" as Orac was wont to say. **)

17. retroremedy

Holy Moly...Blake's 7 that is a blast from the past!!

18. Trojane

Haha SomeoneElse!! You make me worry I'm someone else! I borrowed Orac just the other day. Lucky he's portable! Love B-7. Must confess a weakness for Avon...

19. Trojane

Hi Holistichorse! I know what you are saying but shouldn't a disclaimer be honest? Otherwise you get a confused message at the end of it all. If someone has the evidence shouldn't they be confident to stand by it? But maybe I should debate disclaimers on another thread and not tangle this one...

20. retroremedy

I think the disclaimer is there for marketing reasons. If the disclaimer did not exist the product would be seen as a therapeutic device and therefore would have to go through the rigorous TGA process.

So it is just a way around this which is not the best but then a lot of alternative therapies/devices etc also do exactly the same thing.