PH of Horse Manure

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by madison, Feb 5, 2014.

1. madison

madison Well-known Member

Weird question I know but does anyone have any idea what the normal PH is of horse manure?

2. SueC

SueC New Member

Allegedly just under pH 7, so very slightly acidic; however, it varies with feed and with gut conditions. High grain rations result in more acidic manure, and are also associated with gut ulcers in horses.

3. madison

Thanks for that SueC. I only wanted to know because my horse suffers from gas colic so I'm playing around with what's normal for everyone else so I can compare her

4. Thatest

Thatest New Member

pH 8 is about right for the start. You don't really need to buffer it because the mycelium metabolics will acidify the substrate as it colonizes. I suspect insufficient or improper pasteurization or contaminated spawn is the culprit.

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

What the hell do you mean?? Layman's terms please. :}

Or spamming is the way to go............. :confused:

6. madison

I checked her manure last night and the PH is 7 so it appears that's not the problem. I'll check it next time she gets gas colic to see if it's changed

7. SueC

SueC New Member

Yes, I was scratching my head about Thatest's post too. It sounded like that post was about the composting of horse manure, with its talk of mycelial metabolites (I think they meant, not metabolics). A mycelium is a technical term for the "body" of a fungus; a threadlike net found underground, or on the surface of Brie etc, or in mouldy bread, the compost heap etc. (The mushroom bit of the fungus is its fruiting body. Not all fungi have it in that form. Kind of the mushroom is the apple, the mycelium is the apple tree.)

Anyroad, I'd be worried if I found mycelium in my horse's gut. It'd probably mean it was dead, and then I'd wonder why I hadn't noticed. (Fungi are mostly decomposers.)

8. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

Madison, have you tried including akapellets in your horses feed?

9. madison

She used to get them but they didn't seem to make any difference