Petplan to Cover Vet Bills

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Lokenzo, Apr 10, 2008.

1. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

could ppl please PM me other insurance companies they are happy with? i just looked thru Petplan & it looks very simple & easy.

i am just a pleasure rider, but i'd like to get into some unoff showing & hunter trials down the track.

what does the 60% / 100% loss of use part mean?

i put down for $5mill public liability, NO to saddlery, YES to my float (up to $4500), YES to destruction after death, and the put the value of my horse at around $4k (i figure i could buy a horse for that much if i ever needed to replace him?)

that's about $118/month... any other suggestions to lower the cost of it?

and my retired horse can be insured for like $34 a month!!! that's affordable.

2. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

What about if you took out the float cover? and see if you can insure it under a motor policy (i am not sure if you can)?

3. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

The public liability is a big portion of that ;) Its about $50 per month of it.

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Blitz, im with Wallace. Thumbs up. **)

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

so do i need public liability? do you have it, kimaley??? is it in case my horse breaks out & is hit by a car or something? i know my agistment has it...

or if he's at an event & knocks over a horse float or something & squashes a baby???? don't the grounds have Pub Liability???

o god, decisions. insurance is all about the 'what if' stuff. blah.

6. odway

odway Guest

I'm with Whitbread, havent had to make a claim yet but so far easy to deal with, quick to respond and answer question etc etc

7. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

$72!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW! I use to have my animals insured but it cost too much I found it better to put the money I was paying in a kitty for when the vet bills come as they always do#( lol I looked at pet plan and cheapest I could get one horse was $70p/m so how do u get it that price with a dog as well??? as I would be insuring my new puppy too if I found a combined plan at the rite price :D

8. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt it be cheaper to become an associate member of the EFA which would give you public liability of some sort? also when you ride at an event, you pay insurance as part of the entry fee if you arent already an EFA or PC member. so maybe get the public liability that way?

9. photostop

photostop Active Member

@) Tell me too ! I looked at Petplan and it was 130 bucks a month for a horse only ????

10. photostop

photostop Active Member

I just did an online quote. 98 dollar per month for normal plan with a cover for loss up to 6k and no public liability or disposal :confused: :confused: What other companies is there ? I have all my insurances with Elders but they recommended me to look elsewhere as they don't do many horses and their premium was 2000 per year.

11. LCX

LCX Guest

Bump ! How did you do it ?!?!

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I just insured little scooty and to get 100% loss of use cover I have to get a vet check (ugh another expense!) and then if I want vet bills covered its ANOTHER $600 on top of the first $600!!! If my pony never gets sick, sorry but thats $600 a year I could be putting into a savings account gaining interest.

13. LCX

LCX Guest

There is other insurance companies who do it cheaper ...

14. stormie

stormie Well-known Member

i was just looking into insuring cassie but they don't have standarbreds in the breed section.

15. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

16. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

RPS who do you use?

17. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Pet Plan .

18. equus

equus Well-known Member

My stb is insured with petplan under other breeds or something like that. I suggested that they add them as a breed but didn't get a reply.