Petplan to Cover Vet Bills

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Lokenzo, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Ok, in light of recent topics about vet bills and not affording them as well as having spoken to people who have no idea, I just want to mention that you CAN actually get insurance for vet bills.

My horse (and dog) are covered by Petplan for the sum of $72 per month. This covers his life insurance (which wasn't important to me), his removal should I lose him, my tack BUT it also INCLUDES $10,000 toward vet bills and a few other things. Now if my horse got sick and I was confronted with an estimate reaching $10,000 and it being risky, I would either being paying back that money for a long time or be having the horse pts as I couldn't afford it. I can however afford the $72 per month to prevent such a scenario. Now if my horse needs colic surgery for example, I can decide if its what is best for HIM and not on my pocket.

I haven't had to make a claim yet thankfully but my parents dog is also covered (at just over $30 per month) and sliced his tendon through a window (he tried to jump through a low light window) on Easter Sunday. The vet bill came to $1200 so my parents made a claim. Petplan have been easy to deal with and there has been better than expected service so you don't need to fight for the money.

Anyway, just thought I would put it out there for those people who didn't know!

2. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

so when my horse got colic last yr and the final bill was $1000, if id had insurance then i wouldnt have had tp pay that bill, they would have??

(im only 18 so i have no idea how these things work)

3. Shenalar

Shenalar Well-known Member

Thats great to know Kimaley, I have actually looked into it before, after my mastiff X ate some Ratsak - and it cost about $1000 to treat him.

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Insuring your beloved horse is a great idea.
    I have not got all of my horses insured, purely because a few of them would be easy to replace if need be (meaning more i could buy similar... not that they arent worth it).

I have 5 insured (not with Petplan), those 5 would be the hardest to replace (buy)... thats how i look at it anyway.

You also have to be realistic on the value you insure your horse for as well, the market value to "replace".

I have not made a claim yet, but i should have when Jet nearly gelded himself.... he was insured before he left Vic & i never thought of making a claim then, duh!

But yes, insure, its a great option!

5. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I know what you mean Remaani, when you have several horses the money can quickly add up to insure them all so you have to be realistic.

Wildsteel, you sure could have, just pay the $200 excess and they would have covered the rest.

6. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

so whats the 200 excess for??

7. Talullah

Talullah Well-known Member

I can do that with my horse :( He's too old. Theres a cut off age.

8. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Its like all insurance with an excess. You pay the first $200 and then insurance will cover the rest. If you have 1 injury that needs repeated treatment (like a serious wound), you only pay the $200 once and Petplan cover the rest from their on.

I guess its so you don't claim a $50 treatment from them... not that it is normally that cheap! But finding $200 is a lot easier than finding $10,000!

9. Moondust

Moondust Well-known Member

Excess with insurance is used so people cant abuse the system.

Ive thought about insurance for Rusty and i dont think the companies could afford Rusty's 'replacement value'!!!!! well to me anyways. :)

10. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Ah but what about the vet bill? I don't care about the replacement value, I got it to cover my vet bills! 1 average bill can cost more than the insurance for a year!

11. equus

equus Well-known Member

How olds your boy? Petplan offers an oldies insurance policy but I'm not sure what it covers.

12. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

And dont do what I did, talk about it, get pamphlets and read all about it but didnt actually go and DO IT!!! so now I will be facing a $10,000 vet bill :( :mad:

BTW you can do it online too :)*

13. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Awww Delrae :( I learnt the hard way too, my puppy got sick Easter last year, $4,651 later I found out about Petplan. Wish I had of known about it BEFORE he got sick!

You sure can do it online, I did Paddy's just last week!

14. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

Does you horse have to be injury free for X amount of time prior to insuring? A while back I thought I remember reading something about it, but can't find it on PetPlan?

15. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

No but you must disclose vet history. It may put some exclusions on your cover for an amount of time like when Loki ate the corn cob, he couldn't be covered for 12 months with anything related to that as unfortunately he wasn't insured at that time (thats the $4,651 vet bill!).

16. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

ouch... that was one very expensive corn cob!!!

17. odway

odway Guest

I've got my horse insured (not with petplan) and I definately recommend it. They also do liability insurance, all up it's not hugely expensive compared to what you could be paying if something went wrong. With some insurance companies you dont need a vet certificate, and with many you can do it online. Good thread Kimaley, its something a lot of people dont think about.

18. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I am with pet plan, when i put my first claim in they asked for a full history on winnie from the vet, once you have provided it once you don't need to do it again. It cost me $800 and i got $700 back. I pay $100 excess...it is awsome.

19. Marbelyn

Marbelyn Active Member

Hmmm I hope you have got your other insured now Delrae,
    I have some of mine insured with Petplan they are great and now as pricey as some others.

20. Bertie

Bertie Well-known Member

I have our dog insured with Pet Plan, and last year she had a small cut on her leg that required a few stitches under annesthetic, and all the check ups etc it came to about $350 we paid $100 excess and got the rest back, it only costs us around $40 a month, so it almost paid for itself with a small cut let alone if it was anything serious.
    They were wonderful to deal with and we had the money back within 7 days.

People laugh at me when i say we have insured the dog, but i say to them "we will see who's got the last laugh when the vet bills come"!

I strongly recommend it :)*