Pet insurance

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Flyfree, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

After a recent very expensive vet bill I was wondering about people's preferences for their pet insurance, the top payout amount and excesses and yearly rates etc
    Also can you get insurance once your horse has a pre existing illness/injury for further new problems
    TIA:)

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Maybe you should re-try, and title the thread Horse Insurance, because when you said Pet Insurance I came in here thinking of dogs and cats. I have dog insurance but not horse insurance, so cant help you there.

Might have more luck getting a reply :)

3. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

I don't think you can claim on pre-existing injuries. But that will depend on your insurance policy. Your other questions are also really specific to particular companies. You would best be looking at individual policys and determine what is best for you.

I'm with Affinity.

4. Hotspots

Hotspots New Member

I'm with pet plan, mainly for accident insurance. I have a high excess option but if my horses needed surgery then insurance would step in.

5. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

You can't claim on pre existing things and once you want to insure over x amount (usually about 10k though) you must have a vet sign off on the health of the horse. So if your horse has had a hock injury in the past they won't cover any hock injuries regardless of wether or not it was related to the first injury. They also will be fussy on leg injuries if the horse has ever had any injections, which sadly puts a lot of TBs out as they tend to get joint injections young. They won't cover lungs if the horse has ever bled etc etc

For myself, to insure my horse+ gear for $12k with pet plan I m looking at ~$160 a month and I can't claim on anything lung related due to Inkys big swim as a 2 year old (it's classed as he has weak lungs even though it's never stopped him from doing anything including race) and a vet had to sign off on his health completely, so not just a standard vet check. I'm lucky because throughout his racing career he only ever saw lark hill so they know him and can vouch he's had no injections, leg problems etc.

Also with insurance a lot of the time you don't get the money upfront. You still pay the vet bill and then make a claim. So it is debatable over wether you're just better off setting up your own savings account for big vet bills and just putting a little in each week.