Perlino OR Cremello???

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Coliban Quarter Horse Stud, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Hi All!
    Here are some pics for you.
    here are 2 double dilute mares of mine.
    Are both of them cremellos? Both Perlinos? Or one of each?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lena

2. oakover

oakover Well-known Member

Is this a trick question? It would depend what the double dilute is of, wether its from Palomino dilution (Cremello) or Buckskin dilution (Perlino).

3. Not a trick question*#)
    Just to see if can people tell the difference from the pics:D

4. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Well now Lena that depends on whether or not they are clean ...........:confused: If they have just had a bath then I would say perlino because of their red tails but I believe you have a lot of red dirt down there so they could just as easily be dirty cremellos:) You and I also both know that sometimes it is virtually impossible to tell visually between really pale perlinos and cremellos - didn't you recently have one tested because you suspected she was perlino not cremello ?? If she is one of these then obviously one is perlino.

5. You are a clever girl with a good memory!:D
    You are correct, I bought 2 "cremellos" from over east and they had to go to the same paddock for quaranteen putposes. Then I noticed that one is a different color hue to white body color in comparrison to the other, then I contacted LO in QLD and asked a couple of questions (I have never had a perlino before), my gut feeling was getting stronger and I decided to send her hairs away for a verdict of Ee.
    So now you know that one is a cremello and the other is a perlino.
    Could you quess by a pic?
    ps, the dirt down our way is not red.
    cheers, lena

6. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I would't have a clue.. :)

What wanted to ask how you tell them apart?? *#)

I'll take a guess and say the one stomping her foot and flicking her tail is the Perlino??? maybe? LOL

7. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Well Lena, bit of a score for you, you now have 1 of each lol.

Cant be unhappy with that lol

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I think the bigger mare (more muscled) is the perlino

9. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Hey Lena,
    How about this horse for a colour genetics gold mine,
    Smokey Cream Tobiano
    [​IMG]

That will put the colour calculator into over drive lol :}

10. hahaha, thanks guys!:)))
    The mare on the left and in 2 first pics is a perlino.
    The other one is obviously a cremello.
    The perlino looks bigger because she is in foal, in real life the cremello is by far bigger framed and boned.
    Thank you for replies!:))
    lena:D

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

woohoo do I get a gold star for getting it right!

12. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I was staring thinking are they clean?! looks like two dirty cremello's, but the first one does look more perlino looking at her tail!

We had a perlino mare that looked cremello, but when clean she had a slight coffee coloured mane & tail, it was a fraction darker than her coat :) i cant find any pics of her tho!

13. Hey Sassy, of course they are not clean! Who would wash a broodmare in the middle of winter?:confused:
    What I was suspicious of was not the color of their mane and tails in comparrison to each other, but of the bluish hue to the coat of a perlino when she was standing right next to a creamy looking cremello (both in paddock condition).
    Put it this way, if they didn't have to go into the same paddock where I could compare them, I wouldn't be any wiser of a fact that one of them is a perlino, untill she'd pop out a bucky foal by my sorrel stud.;)
    lena

14. Shar
    I wouldn't mind to have it in my paddock, that's for sure!

15. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

well Lena, clearly I wasnt aware the pictures were taken in winter, seeing as the sun is shining after all, as for the bluish hue those photo's do not depict anything but shadow ;)

16. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

I cheated and looked at your website coliban =) *winks* hehe

17. hi Sassy:D
    I took the pics 3 days ago, we are having a warm break, it feels like real spring in August, usually the weather is miserable during this time of the year.
    Perlinos and cremellos have different color eyes, cremello's eyes stay blue without changes in years, perlinos have yellow specks appearing on a blue background. The amout of yellow specks increase with age.

hahaha, WM*#)

18. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Can I be really stupid and ask what a perlino is? and how you tell the difference?

19. Perlino is a double diluted bay
    Cremello is a double diluted chestnut
    :)*

20. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

And I guess the cremello is MBEG? :)