People's who use the O'Leary "Drench"

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by sambo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'm one that is neither for or against the Oleary drench. I've not used it before but that's not to say I never will.
    Thanks for that post Mr HP but I must say that for me it would carry more weight if you had identified who those 2 well respected WA vets were.
    :))

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

???

Why would naming Vets authenticate the content?? Especially given that you've called the man a "God?"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Sometimes I wonder what planet you're on. I have no idea what you're referring to here ^^^ ';' He's a wealth of knowledge I admit but hardly a higher power.

IMO authentication of the opinions provided is paramount. Very easy to post such info and pass it off as those of professionals without naming the author to allow confirmation.
    Mr HP has never been shy in naming names so why would he choose now as the time to withhold ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Maybe he read the Code of Conduct before posting ;)

5. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

In my assessment O'Leary drench works as an osmotic, irritant laxative that may causes a purgative action.

The common vet drench of liquid paraffin is an osmotic, irritant and lubricant laxative that causes a purgative action.

Compare the drench on price, common vet drench is much cheaper.

Compare the drench on storage....O'Leary drench needs refrigeration, vet drench does not need refrigeration.

Compare the drenches on administration, O'Leary drench may be eaten by a horse, vet drench needs to be tubed.

Compare drench on number of times used...vet drench used many many more times than O'Leary drench. Vet drench may not have a lot of scientific evidence, LOTS of things we routinely use in medicine have not been confirmed by scientific evidence but fall under the banner of ACCEPTED practice. Accepted practice is a strong defence when justifying a medical decision.

After looking at these facts what would you expect a Veterinary Surgeon to recommend? The one that causes a purgative action, the one that is cheap, the one that can be stored in the car without going off, the one they have witnessed and experienced success with and the one that is ACCEPTED practice.

Do both drenches remove sand? Both can irritate the gut and cause a purgative action so you could hypothesise that they do!

Is one better than the other? It depends which one of the above facts you wish to compare! For price and ease of storage then the vet drench wins hands down!
    If you compare on ease of administration and the need for expert skills then O'Leary drench with the possibility of a horse consuming it voluntarily may be a benefit (as long as the animal finds it palatable and at the time not too sick that it is off his food).

Which one should you choose? Well depends on what risks an individual are prepared to take and the experience they have had in the past with colic. I have had a horse with an intersusception so I am paranoid about mid colic symptoms because such a condition presents as low grade chronic colic symptoms and the chance of survival are increase by early diagnosis and surgery. Needless to say, because of my person experience I take my horse to a vet quickly with colic symptoms because it makes me feel better that if it is something serious my horse has a better chance of survival ;). If you had never had a serious complicated colic and the people you that mentored you in your life were confident to wait and see with horse illnesses and had a few home remedies, then you are going to be very likely to think I am a panic merchant :).

Zaza is actually right requesting names (but not that HP could because of the code of conduct), but in research that you present as a case study (evidence doesnt always come from a double blind clinical trial) and you use reported experiences and opinion you actually need to present the persons name and credentials to prove authenticity. But as I said, it is a bit hard in this case because of the medium when are networking in.

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Really great post retroremedy! Thankyou for taking the time to write it, there's so much good advice in there :)

I'm left wondering now (and will research later) who first began paraffin drenching? Was it a "home remedy" accepted later by Veterinarians as the Best Practice, or was it problem-solved by Veterinarians and then promoted as Best Practice? I'm actually curious, and not in any way meaning disrespect to Vets :) As I've said (and promote), my first call, in the event of a colic, would be the Vet. I'm the biggest panic-merchant out :eek:

Also, sidenote, I've written to Mr HP a few times on things that I'd like an unbiased opinion on, and asked that should he share the conversation, that no names be used. There is a certain trust in that when writing to a stranger, and it would be a shame for all horses if Mr HP's ethics weren't what they are :)

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL Would be happy to receive a PM :p

8. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Wattle, it has been used in humans as a laxative for a very long time. In fact it is still see today as one of the safest laxatives for kids. Lots of things used in veterinary medicine are used in human medicine first.

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

EEEEEWWWWWW lucky enough I have a vet handy most of the time......

10. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

i have used the honey and milk drench a couple of times but my mare was prone to flatulent colic so i stopped drenching all together. Upped the hay and gave her a good tummy massage to help her....um..pass wind lol if she looked uncomfortable. 10 yrs later she was diagnosed EMS and that was probably why she had so much wind, i call the vet if its something going on in the inside because IMHO i am not a vet and have not had the intensive training to be one, i do have 20yrs experience but it is only my experience, i love to hear of new things, and treatments but ultimately the vet will get a call.

11. Cody

Cody New Member

I used the O'leary drench a few years ago on a tb yearling filly of mine I was prepaing for the sales. She started suffering from the occasional stress induced mild colic and was going off her feed and was just generally dull. She had been wormed at the same time as all the others and had also been oiled drenched but with no improvement. I was very dubious about drenching with this drench but thought I might as well give it a go as nothing else seemed to help. Within 2 days she was completely back to 'normal' and within 2 weeks her coat was the shiniest out of all horses on the property!I havent use it again as I very rarely have colics on our property but I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I felt they needed it.