People's who use the O'Leary "Drench"

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by sambo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

Can everyone please print off a hard copy of Woki's post so they can read it, email it, fax it, twitter it, facebook it & generally pass it on to EVERY SINGLE horse person they know, so we can all have this GREAT info, which I'm sure Woki doesn't want to have to keep writing & re writing every time someone posts about their personal experiences being a good indicator that what they do works, when in essence Woki's 21 yrs in the equine veterinary industry knocks everyone else out of the ball park.
    Kerr-rist.

Thanks Woki. I especially AMEN your comments about how much we LOVE treating sand colics.

GREAT GREAT post.

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Just because they have not had a colic episode, does NOT mean they dont have sand! Some horses can be very sandy and battle on for years, until one day they have a major colic attack and need to be PTS.

3. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

[/quote]
    Funny thing is i've actually spoke to this vet regarding O'learys drench and i was very quickly told it cannot work/doesn't work and impossible to work. I find it amazing that anyone in the animal care profession does not even stop to think that it could possibly work and is worth investigating. I am not doubting his capabilities as i have been told he is a wonderful vet, but do you not think that if everyone starting using alternative products such as O'learys a massive market would dissapear along with the the "drenching from Vets"??Hmmm got to wonder?

The fact Ann E that you've taken a personal attack on my experience proves you do not know a thing about me[/QUOTE]

Exactly, why would you make life so simple for yourself???:p (note the sarcasm)

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

The way I read this, and pardon me if I'm wrong, but we should all print out Woki's post and cease sharing our own information and learnings - many of which are much more localised to individual environments? That would be a sad day in my World...the lack of information sharing :(

I completely respect every person who posts information on this forum, even if it's stuff I wouldn't do/use myself....and I hope everyone keeps posting every shred of information they have so that we can ALL (even the non-Vets), help every horse that we come into contact with :)

5. sil

sil Gold Member

woki wins the internet

6. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Whoop whoop, ppfft!#(

Just for your info, i worked for a vet, wouldn't do the job, wanted to but didn't have the grades. I take my hat off to you. But, i come from a pretty old way of thinking and have had a couple of old horsemen and women (who are no longer with us) influence me as a horse owner. I think i have a pretty good idea about when i can heal things myself or when i need to call a vet.

I get pretty disheartened when i get "told off" as my intentions are to do whats best for my animal, weather that is the kids pony's, my dogs or cat.

I guess working along side of a vet opened my eyes to the fact that they don't always do what is best for the animal, in my uneducated opinion:p and can also over charge, over medicate and over operate. So thats my opinion. Based on my life experiences, if thats not good enough for u, well i don't really care. I'll call a vet when i need one, will continue to treat my animals the way i want and be happy to learn new things as i go along my little journey.

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

No-one is having a go at those who treat themselves! Why are people looking so deep in this thread and taking things personally?

Colic is a hard one as it can be a huge number of things that really should be diagnosed by a vet but people need to remember that one of the most important things when it comes to colic that you can not do is administer pain relief! So while people can treat colic, they can't ease their horses pain.

Now the vets here tell me if I'm wrong but many years ago I gave bute then took my horse to the vet a little while later. The vet said that bute will not ease the pain in a horses gut and she could not administer the drug she wanted to until a certain time period. Since then I have never given bute.
    I do have the name of the drug, its sitting in my fridge but recently a vet has told me unless its given into the vein that its linked to a muscle type eating disease? And she sold me a safer oral version of it.

I admit to treating numerous colics myself but when we have no after hours vet the next vet is 3 hours away and its not always an easy decision to make with a sick horse, however I have made the journey for a 'mild' colic to put my mind at ease given the distance.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  8. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I have never treated colic, because none of my horses has ever had it. If they got colic i would ring the VET!

9. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Yes of course a Vet should be the FIRST person phoned!! I don't think anyone is disputing that.....but preventative measures are not always stringently analysed in Veterinary learnings...just medicating the incidence?

I have personally seen a dehydrated (colicking)horse on a 40C day be oiled, and the Vet then drive away. IMO a rehydration drench (digested within 20mins), might have been more advantageous as a first step.....then an oiling? The horse died. I don't think there is any one, perfect, cure.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  10. sil

sil Gold Member

No perfect cure, that's for sure.

The most recent research I read about sand removal from the gut was testing done with a decent number of horses; they analysed sand removed with hay in varying amounts, oil and psyllium husk. The #1 remover of sand by far was the largest amount of hay fed. The psyllium was ineffective and the oil only marginal in sand removal.

11. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Never said they didn't have sand, never said that a sand prevention method wasn't used on them and never said that a vet hadn't ever looked at them. All I said was they don't get drenched. Both are actually very healthy guts and all :)

12. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

It's sad that you've worked alongside that sort of vet sambo.
    It is within my nature & training to do what's best for the animal, & I would also hope that my client basis does not hold the opinion of me over-charging, over medicating & over operating.
    That is my professional philospophy.
    The problem will arise when people THINK they are doing the right thing, but being uneducated, are actually doing more harm than good.
    That's what vets are SUPPOSED to be there for, to help the animal & educate the owners, & I'm sure that there are ones out there only for the almighty dollar. I would like to think that in all honesty, I am not one of them.
    So be it.
    As for sharing knowledge wattle, that is always good, if it taken as such.

13. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Thank you woki for your informative post. We all really appreciate the time you take to post your experience on this forum for the benefit of us.

I do the best I can to prevent such incidences in my horses as I have unfortunately been faced a few times with a sick horse and unable to get to a vet within a reasonable time frame, as I am sure many of our regional forum members can relate to.

I think its a great idea for experienced horse owners who may live remotely to learn how to tube their own, although I have assisted and watched a number of them I have avoided doing them myself as I am scared of tubing the wrong way (I have heard you can fill the lungs?). AT the moment I am lucky to have a vet nurse agisting at my property who can help, but this won't be forever!

14. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Yep Troppo, you will drown your horse if you put the tube down the wrong pipe :-/
    The lovely aroma (of food 'fermenting' in their guts) is the dead give-away if you aren't sure if you've gone down the trachea or the osophegus :-0)
    Mmmmm :)

15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

That's strange?? I've always had electrolytes given at the same time and thought this was standard??? So sorry to hear this horse was lost :(.

16. Don't loose sleep beagle, we love you here:p*#)

17. lulubelle

lulubelle New Member

My horse has had the O'leary drench for the past 3 and a half years..and no colic.

HOWEVER...earlier this year, we had a fall in the arena, we both went down. Three weeks later my mare got sand colic like I've never seen it before. Two and a half months later, she is finally okay to start riding again. She's had 5 vet drenchs, 3 lots of HP drenches, and 3 lots of Konke's recommended 1/2 kilo psyllium and 1/2 kilo chia mixutre..plus other treatments. All produced large amounts of sand in the manure, to the point that there were clumps of sand sitting on top. She finally stopped actually scouring after the second lots of the psyllium/chia mix.

We, the vet, the instructor, all suspect she's had sand in her for years and the fall was enough to shake everything up and now hopefully we have it all out. I would have loved to been able to measure how much sand was there..and I suspect there is still more yet to come out over time.

18. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Glad she is on the mend :)

19. horseproblems

horseproblems New Member

Horseproblems.

Hi All. Hope you are all well in the West. A Client has emailed me about this thread, which looks like it has been going well. I haven't the time to read all or even read past getting the general feeling of the Vet's comments or intentions.

Remember, it is the Horses that we all try to help and we are responsible for saving the lives of many of them. I won't go on, save to just pass on the words of two other of your well respected WA Vet's, who have said this:

Regards to all

"Hi John,

I promised I'd send more pix after your recipe was given. So, after treatment with paraffin ------ passed HEAPS of sand (& a little gravel) & continued to do so for a week (that was 4wks ago). Then he started to scour quite badly, with sand present, so we drenched him with parrafin again. More sand came out & within 2 days we were back to normal healthy looking manure. Two days ago he started to pass loose manure again so we brought him into the yards to keep an eye on him (no signs of colic) & I gave him your recipe. After about 4 cow pat manures he started passing sandy ones, the fresher ones had more sand & were of normal consistancy (no scour). I've since put him back out in his paddock & just checked manures out there (with ----following me around & looking over my shoulder for poo inspection) - a few more sandy ones & the one he just passed is nice & normal with no sign of sand.

Hi John
    A couple of interesting observations for you...
    We had an 11 year old STB get colic on Saturday. We treated him with oil on Saturday morning and then your sand drench on Saturday afternoon. He seemed to come good but then got worse on Sunday morning and we ended up taking him to our local vet school emergency centre as I could not find a vet open anywhere to get painkillers (I know, I know, I'm a vet and I should have had some on hand... But I don't usually keep Findayne as the stuff's too expensive to have in the fridge going out of date. However compared to a thousand dollar vet bill it's cheap, so the drug cupboard will be restocked ASAP!) Anyway - when the vet at Murdoch did a rectal exam she couldn't believe how much and was coming out of him! Literally handfuls. I have to confess I wasn't brave enough to admit I had given him your drench, and no doubt she would have attributed it to the oil anyway (I personally do not believe sand moves oil: only that it helps make the passage of what has decided to go on the move less painful). I have only had him a little over a year - we are not in sandy country so he must have accumulated it previous to me getting him. I have had the honey on the shelf for a while but have not found the time to drench him - another lesson learnt the hard way!
    So we have 2 observations:
    1. If given in the face of an actual colic, the horse may get worse before he gets better so have the painkillers on hand... (I am not blaming the drench in any way for the deterioration in my boy - he had a hell of a lot of sand in there and one way or another it had to come out).
    2. Murdoch want to xray him to see how much sand is left in there.
    I'm prepared to bet not much! SO we will have a horse who we know had a lot of sand on board, who will be xrayed, allowing us to assess how much sand the drench moved. (He hasn't had anything else at Murdoch apart from fluids).
    I'll let you know what they say post x-ray.
    I'll be doing the other 3 with your recipe next week!! (Once the painkillers are here...) Regards --------

All the best. Vet.

Thanks for allowing me to have my say. That will be the last word as I have much to do.

20. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

WOW John, thanks for coming and saying hi. @) Unfortuntly the old colic rears it's ugly head particularly this time of the year and we all seem very passionate about it.:D

I guess one of the mystery's of your drench recipe is how it works and will the amount of honey that is used cause a problem to horses? This is not the first thread about your drench and you don't have to convert me as i use it and have done for about 5 years, the problem being that vets need the hard evidence before they would use it???? Well thats my take on it.

We have discussed that horses are lactose intolerant and will get rid of the drench and the honey is what picks the sand up??

Here is another thread discussing your drench (if you have the time:p)
    http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/horse-management/23791-colic-article-treatments.html
    http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/horse-management/20918-colic-how-avoid.html

Cheers Sam:)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012