People's who use the O'Leary "Drench"

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by sambo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Any feedback after this horrendous spate of colic's?? I have "drenched" mine a few times while the season was late to get started, as i am so paranoid. ****Touch wood**** i haven't had colic....... Yet....

2. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I'm lucky as my paddock is green most of the year so I don't have the same risk of sand colic as most other parts of WA. I guess the grass has a better root system and so the horses are pulling up less root (and sand) with every mouthful. My paddock is clay so v muddy atm.

I have used all sorts of colic remedies in the past with a colic prone pony. None worked 100% but I did use the O'Leary drench, psyllium and cooked whole pumpkin too ( not all at the same time) but a combination of these over a short period of time usually resulted in sand coming out the other end.

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Have used it twice since the first rains on my pony and donkey who are the ones most prone to hoovering and thus sand.
    Can't say I noticed any difference in thier manure or any sand coming out the back end, no change in their hairy yak like coats.

Still it didn't hurt them either, and I guess I felt better having tried some type of preventative.

I have also done them with 5lt parrafin and epson salts mixed in a tub of chaff, which aside from the laxative effect, did not produce any sand either.

4. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Hey NG, i guess the real test is if they have got colic after you have given them the "drench".. So have they coliced??

5. megan

megan Well-known Member

but who knows maybe they would not have collied anyways.

i have know idea if this sort of thing works or not.

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

No they havn't coliced but my donk never has in the 21 years I have had him, and pony had a bellyache many years ago but not since.
    Which is why I am still a bit of a sceptic, however could see no harm in feeding it.

I also am not on sand but clay.

7. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Sorry NG, i read your post wrong. I thought your pony and donkey have coliced in the past. But not so.:p My horses also live on clay rather than sand, so maybe that helps too.

8. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

i have used the o'leary drench in the past and will be doing my gelding in the next week...question....has anybody used the drench on a weanling or yearling? i don't think my weanling needs drenching yet as he was drenched about 3 months ago but he is a sand hoover!

9. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

:)I gave it to my Dads yearling and there was nothing different to report.:confused:

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I've used this drench on my little shetland numerous times.

We almost lost him to sand colic last year so I went looking for remedies that could help. When in doubt I'd always seek a vet but we all know how much easier it is if you do it yourself.
    Tawny started scouring again and I wanted to try the O'Leary drench. I did the right thing, called a vet and spoke to them about it and made them aware of the situation if anything was to go wrong.

Tawny passed ALOT of sand that night and by the next day his poo's were back to solids. Touch wood he's never coliced since last year and I drench him every 8 weeks or so now to be on the safe side.

I understand Jazz (thoroughbred mare) has had the drench used on her with her previous owner with good effects too.

11. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Yup I did it with Jazz, and she showed no ill effects whatsoever.

I am planning on using it with Tally and Sass in the near future (soon as I get myself organised)

12. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Oh wow Arnie, that is great. So you do his drench every 8 weeks?:)

Keep it coming guys.

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

This time of year most definently, I also keep him away from any green grass (quite easy out here) as its hard being a shetland to up his hay and not get too fat! lol
    There is green out here and the ground is so soft that the sand just comes with it too easy.

If any of my other horses were to scour I'd certainly try it on them aswell :).

14. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

My warmblood mare used to colic religously twice a year......she hasnt colcked (touch wood) in 2 years since using the remedy.
    Im not going to comment anymore as this topic usually turns into a bashing

15. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I use it :D but none of our horses have colic'ed either, so not sure how useful it is. I also use it for *rescue* horses, some of which are quite horrifying in condition, and it didn't hurt any of them - and one particular bloke was full of ulcers :( He is now a fat lawnmower in Mt Barker, and hasn't colic'd in the year we've had him.

16. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I hope it doesn't turn into a bashing. :mad: People who haven't got anything constructive to say can keep it to themselves!!!**)

17. samm

samm Gold Member

It's all very well to use these remedies(this particular one has been known amongst the old blokes for years.I first heard about it 20 year ago) but thing is colic is just a term for pain in the belly.How do you know what's causing the pain without a vet to diagnose it??
    It could be caused by something totally different to sand or impaction or any number of conditions.

18. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Sigh- It's not used when the horse has "stomach" pains. I use it as a preventive only. If my horse got colic, i would RING the VET!!

No one is saying it is to replace a vet.

19. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

as i read the info from mr Hp the 'remedy' is actually supposed to be used as a preventative to flush out accumulated sand and not to be used if the horse was actually colicky...he is most adamant that if your horse has colic to see a vet!

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I agree, I'd never use it during colic. I'd always call the vet first in that case and go by their advice.

I use the drench as a preventative.