PCAWA Insurance vs EWA / SHC

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by needanswers, Jan 10, 2011.

1. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I paid $155 this year to be a PCAWA member.

For this I am not insured for riding taking place at non-PCAWA events. I am not insured when I ride at home or when I go to an event outside of PCAWA. I am not insured whilst travelling to and from any PCAWA events. I am not insured if I want to ride on the Pony Club grounds on non rally days.

Tell me why I paid $155 to be a member?

I should have paid my money to SHC $75 per year to be insured 24/7 when riding or working my horses and even when I take overseas trips and happen to ride horses there.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

A lot of your Membership fee will go to your Club, to provide instruction, improve facilities, upkeep of grounds, buy equipment and the like. Some will also go to PCAWA. Your fees seem very reasonable to me, much less than other clubs in my neighbourhood.
    I doubt if the Hack Council have the same overheads as a Pony Club.

A few years ago there was some movement to providing 24 hour cover for Pony Club riders, but it was voted out for various reasons. They have some fairly conservative views.
    Ask your club to take it up with the Zone and so on.

I personally can't see why all horse clubs and organisations can't group together and purchase whatever insurance they want and get a much better deal for everyone.

I believe the motorcrosse people did this, as it increased their bargaining power.

Could the horse community do this? I doubt it. Everyone likes to keep their own little empire to themselves.

3. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

My membership to the Arabian Horse Society of Aust. is $110, it covers me off my property not on it, but I've just re-done my house Insurance, which now covers friends & myself riding at home & around the block.

I'm also a member of Pintos WA { afiliated with EA-WA} is $60 & welshies is $85-ish- and I still have to pay "Day Insurance" at a show ?? ';'
    So to go to a show, I'm covered by Insurance of 3 Breed Socities + "day Insurance" which is only 3rd Party= $$$$$ to someone ! #(

Cheers
    Lee

4. needanswers

IMO Young riders of Australia are being done over by PCAWA. They deserve better.

Learning to ride is often dangerous and scary (for parents and instructors) and parents pay their money to their local Pony Club assuming their kids will be safe and covered if they should get hurt. They do not expect that paying that money does not cover their kids should they fall when not riding at a rally day or at a non PCAWA event.

What about training for the PPMG state champs on non rally days? What about training for Musical dressage rides?? I don't know if they are covered as the training day is not a PCAWA event.

Why can't all the clubs band together and get 24/7 cover as part of membership? They should. Young riders need cover and private health does not cover equestrian accidents.

5. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

All pony club training days would be covered, probably needs to be passed by the club committee as a legitimate activity.

I notice they have a fb page, why not ask your questions on there?

6. SammieJ

SammieJ New Member

i dont think anyone joins PC for the insurance purpose. People join to learn to ride or have the ability to ride and PC events or even just for social.
    Our clubs fees are around the 300 mark and i have no problem paying it as i know what goes into the running of the club.

7. needanswers

SammieJ - Imagine how many children are out there right now NOT covered by insurance should they fall off. Let's face it, how many young riders NEVER fall off? We are just so lucky that majority of these incidents do not result in serious injury.

I am saying that PCAWA should give riders 24/7 cover. Our young kids deserve better. How many families (with young kids) have the money to pay the PC fees and then go join another organisation as well (EWA or SHC) and fork out another 300 or so dollars for the year per child so their kids are covered??

Remember private health does not cover riding accidents. How many kids are not covered for participating in their chosen pleasure activity?

I am not saying the fees are unjustified. I've been in PC over 18 years and I have done the hard hards when helpers are scarce, know what it means to keep a club functioning and know where that money goes.

My stab is at PCAWA not specific PCs. They should cover our kids! Even put the fees up an extra little bit if that will allow riders to be covered. Maybe have it as an option even? Do you want 24/7 cover YES/NO add 50 bucks to your membership.

8. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

My private health has always covered me and my kids when we have injured ourselves riding. Just recently I had a nasty accident which put me in hospital and my Private health covered me totally!!

9. SammieJ

SammieJ New Member

yep my private health insurance covers me to. I broke my leg and only had to pay 25c towards it.

I dont believe that PCAWA should 'have' to offer 24/7 insurance. I think offering it as an added option would be great but i wouldnt stomp my foot about it.

How many kids who arent even at PC's fall off. I know i have many a many times before i knew about PC.

I guess it comes down to how much a childs life is ''worth''.

I know our club charges around 300 for fees and from that we get 10 rallies,. entries to State events are paid, Grounds are looked after & insurance is paid. How our clubs run at a profit and offer 24/7 insurance would be beyond me.

if they said to you insurance was another $200 would you jump for it? As i dont think you could get 24/7 insurance for any sport for $50 a year!

10. needanswers

Are you sure about that SammieJ?

According to the SHCWA membership application form you can be covered 24/7 from them as a junior rider for $65 dollars and subsequent siblings are charged at $55. Same insurance as EWA as far as the member brochure suggests. Senior riders (18 +) are covered at $75.

If my fees went up an extra 75 dollars to cover me for 24/7 insurance too right I would take it. As a horse riding association I feel the PCA should offer 24/7 cover just the same as the other major horse and rider associations do.

I'm glad your PH covered your accident and I hope other health providers cover horse related accidents however you should read fine print to determine if this is the case with all.

All I can say is that I hope parents have at least looked into their private cover in case their child should have an accident. This is a dangerous sport and hobby and children die as a result of serious riding accidents.

11. Topaz17

Topaz17 Active Member

I used to work at PCAWA for over 5 years. inthis time we looked into 24/7 many times. The reason we have not got it is it would mean a hug percent of our members would not be able to afford to be pony club members. Pony Club is aimed at the average rider on the average horse having fun and learning at the same time. You have to remember while you maybe able to afford an increase the majority cannot. think of those families that have more then one member.

PC insurance covers you for any pony club activity wether that is training, rally or national competition.

Personally when have been fine without it for the last 50 years i am sure we will be fine without it. If families are worried they should take out their own private health insurace so that it covers them for any injuries in any sport they do. Most insurances out there mainly cover the different groups for any accidents etc.

12. needanswers

Topaz. Thanks for your reply. Many families need to find insurance by other means due to PC not providing 24/7 care which is costly at best.

I believe PC should offer it should riders wish to choose this option for their children. It would mean not having to be members of another association for this cover.

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

**)Agree wholeheartedly.

There should be a plebiscite for all members, not just the executive.

I still think all horse organisations should pool together and purchase a better deal for everyone. The insurance industry must be laughing all the way to the bank, as individual riders struggle to be members of the most beneficial club or organisation for them, sometimes needing to double up.

';' ';'

And there are so many opinions on what covers which situation under what circumstances. *#)

It needs to be simplified.:(

14. needanswers

Agree!! It would be so lovely to have 24/7 cover whenever any equestrian association is joined.