Pawing/ Stomping In the Float

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Anna_Smiler, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Anna_Smiler

Anna_Smiler Well-known Member

yes he will do it while you are in there with him

2. madison

madison Well-known Member

My mare stomps in the float, always when you first start out and if she gets bored when you are travelling also if there is flys in the float with her. An endless supply of food wont stop her either, she just does it when she's had enough or not getting her own way.

3. Unruly Steeds

Unruly Steeds New Member

It's one of those problems that are hard to 'fix'.
    Because he does it when your in there with him, the best you can do is stop it when your there. by using a whip to tap him on the leg he paws with, and tap until he stops, then stop tappin. Unfortunately unless someone travels in the float with him for a couple of trips and taps him every time he floats which i definately do not suggest,theres not much you can do besides stop him in your presence.

Besides that, the chains sound like a good idea, but be careful that they don't just annoy him. What happens when he moves his legs to get balance? theyre gonna bang on his leg, so yeh, just be careful with that one.

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I havent used them, and I'm not particulary recommending them, but I have heard and seen a type of hobble that you can get in the horse shops, that can be used for horses that fuss about when tyed up, and for these vices in floats.

This gadget confines all four legs, and allows a small amount of movement but not kicking and pawing, so horse could still move enough to adjust weight in float, but not paw.

I think you load the horse, then connect the straps up???? There must be a site to have a look at....I think they're called something like 'stomper stoppers'???

I had an ex-racehorse who always thought he was going to the races so used to toss his head up and down the duration of the trip, sometimes to the point of having the car bouncing on the spot at the traffic lights....very annoying, and I used to hit the breaks on occasion to give myself a little repreave from it, but not enough to tip him over, anyway hes used to just bob faster!

5. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

PMSL. Our little Anglo Arab does that. I was really, really tempted to get a sticker put on the back of the float "If the floats a rockin dont come a knockin"

6. preston90

preston90 New Member

lovin it - u should do it lol :)*

7. F's rav dancer

F's rav dancer New Member

I agree with Unruly Steeds with regards trying to fix it whilst standing still, as a safer alternative to driving on the roads and standing in the float (not recommended) do you have a decent area at home where you can get hubby to drive (slowly) the float say a circular driveway, farly flat paddock or even around sheds and continue with the tap tap of the whip on the front leg until he stops.. then graduate to taking him to say a big shopping centre carpark on a sunday and do the same thing... (do not go very fast as 7 k's feels bloody fast when ur in the float!!) - I had a horse that did that and this method was very successfull, however we have a big truck stop area where I could float her and then swap with hubby so he was driving..

8. Leighchel

Leighchel Active Member

Have you tried kick boards in you float??

There like a plank of wood that goes under your floats chest bar.. and it stops your horse from pouring. Mum horse used to pour and so did my old little pony until mum got these installed and it fixed there pouring. Sometimes he does still stamp his feet when were a few streets away from home tho!

9. Anna_Smiler

where can u get these from leighchel? sounds like a good idea!

10. Leighchel

Leighchel Active Member

Um I think any float company will put them in now, or you could do it yourself I assume it wouldn’t be that hard…We where one of the first people with them in our float Mum got them installed by her brother who’s the owner of Mustage Floats this was about 9 years ago.

11. Anna_Smiler

and how do the stop them pawing exactly?
    sorry for all the questions

12. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

my farrier told me to use the top of a knee boot strap and then hang the 'metal' on, i have never used it b4 but i know a lot of the trainers use it!
    :)*

13. Leighchel

Leighchel Active Member

there legs need to come up and out when they pour:confused: with the kick boards thay cant bring there leg forward. i will take acouple of pics tonight to show you what they are.

14. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

oh cool was going to ask if you could take pics...

i do have a idea of what your on about, but it would be good to see them :)

15. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

I know that this is used to stop kicking...my horses previous owners used chains hanging off spur straps..stopped him from kicking stable walls :)
    I haven't read this entire thread so I do appologise if this has already been mentioned..have you considered hobbles? to stop the pawing?

16. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

What about having a radio in there with him? take his mind of pawing....

What about having a hanging toy he can play with or a molasses toy he can play with also??

17. Anna_Smiler

hahaha thanks jonty! il try the molasses toy 2mo wen i head off to summer series.

i dont think a radio would stop him....

he barely pawed at all last wk and i just put an extra bit of rubber down in the float just in case.

18. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

My first horse use to kick the back of the float-when you went around a corner or over a bump :confused:#( so all the time ..he even put a hole in the ramp :(
    he did it for years...until I took him up to Wedge Island for a long weekend { behind a 4 x 4 } he needed ALL 4 feet to stand on...and after that trip, he NEVER kicked again !**)**) true !

Cheers
    Lee

19. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

ok, i'm rejoining this thread as a questionee!! hahaha
    i just got a horse that paws in the float when not moving, but as soon as he's in, he goes off pawing!
    the paws whilst having to stand aswell.

he's only 5 years old and i wanna stop it asap as he's still young and i might be able to get rid of the habbit :)

does anyone do hobble training in bunbury area??

20. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Andrea like you said hes still only a baby, he should get out of the habbit, and its not that bad really, he pawed for a little while but as soon as i turned on the car he stoped, should get out of the habbit, maybe distract him with hay or something.
    But if he dosnt get out of the habbit later on then see someone...but most of the times they are only doing it for attention..then they stop coz finaly relise that its not doing anything, like tom for example.