Parelli

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by lisajs, Jun 1, 2002.

1. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

When i leased out one of the ponies, she was always a little territorial about her ground with some ponies (at feed time), but generally good with most. this didnt bother me, cause most horses have their pecking order at feed time. The leaser (who was quite an experience horse person) after being to one of the Parelli displays tried these methods to get the pony to be social all the time at feeding. This just worked a disaster. And soon the pony became frightened of people, so (after another parelli display) they were told to go in with a lunge whip and free lunge the pony untill it came up. This made the pony try and defend itself pretty much after being backed up into a corner. This situation only got worse, to the point children couldn't go in to the ponies yard unless she was caught. And the more new ideas they got from these sessions, the more they tried.
    After I got the pony back, horrified to see the extent of what had happend, with work i managed to get some trust back into the pony. As the pony had been broken in by me, she got her trust fairly quickly, but still is terrified when strangers go to do anything with her unless i am holding her, and she will literally shake.

I have seen horses "parelli" abused sooo many times (by parelli, i dont mean trained in by pat, but trained by someone who has washed down comercial training), end results being similar to this.

I have only seen pat training on tv, and like jo said, a lot of parelli is just common horse sense, and a lot of what he displayed has been passed down from generations and the ODG's. Just because im not parelli religious it doesnt mean that i dont do any natural horse mastership

-bec-

2. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Beccy, i'm really sorry that you have had such a bad experience with parelli. I can understand how something like that would turn you off forever! Parelli should only be done by suitably experienced people who understand the basis of the system. Too many people think they know what they are doing when they actually have it all wrong. It is the same with other methods. I have seen horses abused with a bit and or double bridle in the name of "dressage" and people use awful methods to make their horses into "showjumpers". Any system has its good points as long as it is instilled the right way with care and consideration. Beccy you sound very open to ideas from different systems which is great, too many of us are locked into only one system whether it be parelli or traditional methods. Arnie, I'm curious as to why you have such a big problem with Parelli, you seem completely closed to the idea. have you had a bad experience in the past?

3. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I dont hate parelli training, i just dont particuarly like the labeled name. I dont like to train in "one" way, but use a variety of training methods to suit the individual horse. If you were to show me how to do something with the horse (mabey like tieing up) I wouldnt regard it as unsuitable simply because parelli does it. And if it works it works, and if at a later date i come across a situation, where that activity would work with a particular horse, then i'd use it.

Its bizar at some of these parelli demonstrations is that soo much gear gets broken from horses panicing.

-bec-

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Tam, dont rely on "parelli" soley to solve all your problems. The secret to being better horse people is to learn from what you can from as many different people as you can. If the idea is safe and appropriate, then try it, and see how it works for you. if it works, great! if it doesnt work, then put it on the back fence for later, as it may help out a situation in another 10-20years time.

At the moment, i dont like working "deep" in training, as i believe it is unnatural for the horse and may result later with further back problems and blocking work over time. I dont have any proof of this, and i'm waiting a bit longer to see what the results are, and how people find it in training. Some people that do it, sware it is the best thing for their horse in training, and others who have tried it say it wasnt good, and others will not try it full stop. (im talking about top olympic dressage riders and trainers) Most chyropractors are on the fence with this too.

-bec-

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Tam I simply just don't like it...I've tried it before and it didn't work on my horse...it just doesn't work for some people and horses...I don't want to start a big deal about it but get this point in your head "I don't do parelli, never will, we use a different way...not everyone has to use parelli!..."...

~§Arnie§~

6. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I agree whole heartedly with Beccy on what she has said.
    As not two horses are the same , just like no two people are the same , you have to work out what is right for your situation and the horse concerned.
    When you are beginning to work with a horse , you have to take into consideration what it's begginings have been and work with this in mind.
    Has it had a gently trusting start ? Has it been frightened in the first place? Has it been spoiled ? These are some of the questions that you need to ask yourself before you start with your new horse. If you dont do this and work toward sorting this out , your horse can become uncontrollable due to the confusion that it suffers.
    With some horses , you have to take them back to the beginning before you can do anything else.
    Just jumping in and using one course of action is not the best way to go with any horse.

Jo

7. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Beccy I agree 100% with what you said bout not taking everything from one method or person and believe me I certainly don't! As I said before my horse is a hack/ dressage horse and I incorporate bits and pieces of everything. I don't do alot of Parelli riding- more so the groundwork as the riding doesn't really work for my horse. I use dressage training for a fair bit of my ridden work and just take little extracts from everywhere. I think its important as someone else said, to realise that horses are individuals and need different things depending on how they have been handled etc. Yeah I like Parelli but I also love alot of the dressage and classical type training. What does annoy me though is people that don't understand how horses think and use whips or hit them to "knock some sense into them". Same with some hack people who pull their horses heads in to MAKE them round- how absurd! And it goes right from beginners and pleasure riders to high level people- for instance a vet at Murdoch uni tried to beat my horse onto a float, although i was telling him not to as my horse was whip shy and when he kicked out and got one of the vet nurses he got hit again. I think we just have to understand the way in which our horses think and each horse does think differently. But arnie, believe me alot of parelli is common sense which I'm sure you have so whether you like it or not you are probably doing bits of parelli anyway!

8. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

horses, like most animals, just want to please you. Knowing that, you use that to your advantage where you can.
    If they have been mistreaded, then getting that 'want to please you' state is very hard, and takes a lot to get to trust you. Sometimes it may have to be inspired, by rewards, so they know they are progressing in the right direction. Even the use of over reward in the right direction.
    Often you will have to make up solutions on the spot to fix/correct the problem. it may even be the most bizar solution that no one has ever tried. just because it doesnt come out of a manual doesnt mean it wont work, and doesnt mean it should be ignored.

-bec-

9. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

That quite right, you can read all the manuals you like but not everything is in a manual. My horse turning into a dangerous menace after being locked up for 3 months wasn't in there! I think its important to just have common sense around horses- they want to do the right thing but often they just don't know what the right thing is. This is where their upbringing comes into it quite heavily. If a horse has always known what is the right thing to do thats great. Unfortunately many horses, particularly ex racers are abused and think that the right thing involves getting their own back while they can- if they even care what the right thing is. There is nothing better than a well handled and well bought up horse, but nothing worse than one that has been abused mentally and physically.