Parelli and their view on helmets

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by bubblez, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Don't know the stats but i do know that our local NH group based in Wandi has had **touch wood** NO accidents causing injury in the 15 years we have been a group, and i can count on one hand the amount of people falling off & i am a founding member.

Not saying that NH is the total reason, but admittedly as we are just a social group if people get nervous they tend to not get on or get off in a hurry before it turns bad LOL! And ALL of us wear helmets it is compulsory. I still think if it wasn't a rule, almost 100% of us would still wear them.

2. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

OK heres the official view copied straight from the Parelli members website... make of it what you will... It is compulsory to wear helmets at the Parelli centre in NSW, but obviously things are different in the USA. Although i completely agree with the answer from Linda below because I understand it fully, I still personally choose to wear a helmet myself and so will my son if he chooses to ride. Helmets do save lives more often than not, and to me it's just not worth the risk. ps Let's keep it nice people ;)

Question:
    Why don't Pat and Linda wear helmets? What is their view on this topic?

Answer:
    LINDA: Personally speaking we feel very uncomfortable wearing helmets because it affects our balance and perceptiveness. Pat wears his cowboy hat and I would wear a helmet if I engaged in extreme sports such as high jumps or eventing. As far as our students are concerned, we are 'pro choice', meaning we respect their choice to wear one or not, and we put a lot of emphasis on safety through savvy. Many people are accidents waiting to happen. I think about what I used to do before meeting Pat and starting the Parelli program, I was one of those. I didn't have a clue and I should have been wearing a helmet because it was just a matter of time before I was going to hit the ground! I was getting on a dangerous horse every day, one who was mentally, emotionally and physically out of control. He didn't trust me and reacted badly to all kinds of situations. I wasn't even safe on the ground! I made bad decisions because I did not understand the horse's nature and especially because I didn't know how to get him to be calm and left brain. Many people climb on horses who are right brain and acting like prey animals, or who have the propensity to do so in even mildly alarming situations. They put on helmets and mount up, thinking they are safe, and they try to stay on no matter what. Helmets do not keep people safe. We don't get on unsafe horses. We put a lot of time into preparation. We get off immediately the situation becomes unsafe. Most riders don't do any of that, but it's what we practice religiously and teach our students to do too. This is the example we set and the one we want them to follow.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

...So that is pretty much what the OP presented....

To say "Helmets do not keep people safe." is true..... they save peoples lives....

It's a cop out, I'm sorry, to say a helmet unbalances them....when Pat wears a whoppng big 10 gallon hat acting as a massive aerofoil ???? LOL :D

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Question:
    Why don't Pat and Linda wear helmets? What is their view on this topic?

So does that mean they can't teach "balance" to people who wear helmets?
    AND isn't "perceptiveness" the whole meaning of being "savvy"......so is Linda now saying that wearing a helmet can prevent you from being "perceptive"?

Jumping & Eventing are now extreme sports? Didn't I see a few log jumps with no helmets?.....
    Hummmm AND what about all those bridle-less displays.......they arn't "extreme"?????????

Perhaps those coming to the clinics might chose not to pay as well....thats pro choice isn't it? Sorry, but a teacher is someone who guides and educates not through "savvy" but by example.

Ah so if you aren't a Parelli apostle you should wear a helmet because you are an accident waiting to happen?

What the?.........this statement says more for someone's lack of self preservation and common-sense than anything else! She actually CHOSE to get on horses like that?...perhaps this is the "pro-choice" the program supports?

Left brain?.........Has someone explained all this to the horses?

Actually I don't think most people get on crazy alarmed horses at all....I think most people who know that you would need more than a helmet for a horse like this...more like body armour!

No they don't prevent accidents just like training systems don't prevent accidents......but they provide a much better cushion than a DVD or Book.

Glad that they are telling people to get off unsafe horses.....but wouldn't it be nice to actually tell them to protect their heads incase they just don't get off in time?

It's important to note that Linda has degrees in marketing and advertising...making spins easily seem both credible and acceptable. Perhaps someone should suggest that Parelli start marketing a range of helmets.....I bet that they wear one then and suggest EVERYONE wear one all the while extolling the virtues of protecting the head! :}

5. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I'm with you EVP - helmets affecting balance and perceptiveness - what a crock of s**t.
    As for only riding left brain horses meaning you're safe... I only get on mine when he's calm and "left brain" - he's ALWAYS calm, and so left brain he likes to think up games all of his own - which don't look anything like the 7 Games...! One includes him dropping his left shoulder and putting you on the floor when he decides that shying at a roo would be amusing...
    Do the Parellis honestly think that after telling everyone "we feel very uncomfortable wearing helmets because it affects our balance and perceptiveness" (when that's all they go on about in their courses) that people who follow their training are going to go against their guru and wear a helmet anyway? People who want to be as much like Pat Parelli as they can?
    "Don't do as I do do as I tell you to do" doesn't cut any ice either - lead by example.

6. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Left-brain thinking - imaginative artistic
    Right-brain thinking- calculating logical
    I think the latest way of labelling horsie thinking is a bit crazy considering the tradition definitions of left/right brain they get into in an article in hoofbeats but frankly I couldn't classify my horses on their wheel of fortune maybe because they are not 'problem horses' but surely they have horsenalities too? though I've never seen them out in the paddock writing poetry or painting so maybe they are right brained but they are useless at maths and engineering so maybe thats not right either.

7. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I am not a follower of any particular code, except common sense and common sense tells anyone to wear protective head gear.
    As you all know, I am no chicken and have been riding for over 60yrs, and can remember as a child having a hard helmet that Dad bought for me in Sydney at a Sydney Royal around 1947. I wore that one for as long as I can remember and even had an Akubra that fitted over it for the days when I was in the paddock.
    Now, I recover the helmet and have done so for many years as well, and have found that it is a good idea to have the checked out regularly for faults that are under the covers.
    I happened to strip a badly dented one only a couple of weeks ago and when I told the owner that I wouldn't redo it, was in all sorts of trouble.......lol. It is not worth the risk either not to wear one, or to wear a damaged one.

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh well, its their funeral.......I just dam well hope it doesn't put a gullable person in the ground either....

9. IndyR'n'R

IndyR'n'R Well-known Member

this really annoys me. Bailing out, or getting off before something becomes dangerous isn't always an option.

I ride a really quiet horse, he is just a calm old gelding, the type you would put anyone on. I was riding him out for a trail ride, and all of a sudden he went from loose rein, head down, relaxed, jumped forward, spun around, and dumped me on the trail. Bitten by a bug of some description, very painful, because it bit me too.

No matter what training, it wasn't predictable, it wasn't what you would call dangerous, no high jumping, we were walking on a well known trail. My helmet probably stopped me from being knocked out, allowing me to get up immediately and get my horse, stopping him from being run over, therefore what could be bad about wearing a helmet.

its absolutely ridiculous that people with such a following would take such a stance on helmets, its like saying cigarettes aren't harmful to your health.

10. ASH lover

...only if you don't inhale....:p

...so it follows riding without a helmet is safe if you dont ride?????

ETA: EVP you are spot on with your arguments...... but just to add I really can't understand this 'bailing out' horses learn but finding out what makes their lives easier...surely it doesn't take much for a horse to learn that if it plays up...you get off....or am I being too right brained??

11. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

Oh Gee maybe a little to right brained:p
    No totally agree with your point ASHlover, Horses cotton on to things like this ever so fast... bad habits are easier to learn than good ones

Totally agree with you arguements EVP

12. Iron Horse Hill

Iron Horse Hill Active Member

Just interupting to say.....
    EVP & ASH Lover.......I luv you guys!!! You speak from my heart.:)*
    The aerofoil hat bit cracked me up:D
    Oh ........continue everybody!!!Great thread!
    Cheers
    Jo

13. ASH lover

Thanks guys....!
    Not to labour the point - but - If half a tonne of horse is having a bit of a hissy fit I for one would rather be on top of it (helmet firmly on head)...and not standing within crushing distance attached by a piece of rope wearing a felt hat....(their goes my right brain again) LOL

14. islabee

islabee New Member

Cmon guys if ya gunna make so much fun of Right and Left Brain can you at least find out what it is, so you can do so accurately?:))

Heres some fuel for you:}

sar'casm bitter or wounding ironic remark:such remarks taunt:sneer: irony: use of such expressions

I don't believe thats left or right brain equine activity.

Solely reserved only for the human race. :)))

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

No not at all. Isn't one of the NH philosophies that horses like to finish on a "good note"? And that they remember the last thing that happened before retiring for the day?
    If so one would expect that they remember the rider getting off and calling it a day....ahahahahah

No right brain needed here at all!

If a horse can recognise your car, the colour of their feed bucket or recognise you at a distance.......yep they surely remember you bailing out or off.

Without sounding too skeptical.......I imagine that horses actually learn the bad stuff alot quicker than they learn (or re-learn) the good.

Perhaps someone should remind them about using their left brain more.....ahahahahaha
    I'm left handed so I must be left brained.......wonder if that makes a difference how my horses view me?:))

16. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

And I hear all the Parelli people doing a Kamal....

"why are people so unkind to me?"

I will tell you why...

because you have now successfully 120% bought your own bullcrap lock stock and smoking gun.

Im off to wiggle a rope at my horse.

17. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Did someone show Pat & Linda an Xray or something?

I love how they are pre-occupied with the working and machinations of a horses brain, yet don't think a human one is worth protecting by wearing a helmet.....AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Maybe they'd like to invent a helmet for the horses to wear?

Honestly a range of matching helmets for horse AND rider might be a real sales winner.....

They could call them Pat Hats? Or a Linda Fall Hinder?

Oh I should be in bed!

18. islabee

islabee New Member

Yes EVP it is a NH theory to finish on a good note, so
    I will clarify even though I know I am hitting my head on a brick wall
    but the concept is NOT BAIL AND CALL IT A DAY. The idea is to get the horse thinking again and hop back on, when it is safe. So your not teaching a horse "aha when I do this, my human stops!"
    An emergency dismount teaches you to get off your horse ASAP and move its hindquarters away from you. Its something you actually practice
    when all is well.
    Cheerio for now:p

19. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Another Parelli bashing thread? Hey I'm the first one to admit they haven't got it all right(helmets especially!!)all the time and I'm not keen on alot of the newer stuff but they have opened the door to horsemanship for ALOT of people! Why do people hate Parelli with such a passion? I understand just not being into it but why hate and ridicule it-I mean I'm not into polox or campdrafting but I'm not disdainful of people who are....

20. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Pockets I dont hate the god only the religious zealots, and also, I dont hate, I just have zero tolerance for those that feel that its Parelli or NOTHING.

I have been literally bailed up by Parelli zealots and basically told that I didnt have a clue, then watched same person take 2 hours to load a horse on the float, seriously it seems that I have been meeting the worst of the "faithfull" but there is more than one way to train a horse.

And many of them a heck of a lot cheaper lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.