Parelli and their view on helmets

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by bubblez, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

Ive just read this on another forum and thought it is an important thing to pass onto others in view of a lot of peoples love with parelli. im not advocating them or saying they suck and I love some of their principles, but this is a bit of a shock!

Forwarded from another list.
    --------------------------
    Parelli and helmets

I am sending this to a couple different groups as I feel it is important to get the word out to potential Parelli followers. As many of you know, I am currently recovering from a brain injury from a fall from a horse this summer. This was a green horse but he spooked while I was getting off, something any horse could do and the odds of a serious accident on a horse finally caught up with me. One thing I have noticed is an ad for Parelli and Linda is jumping a horse bareback and no helmet. Also while I was bedridden I watch a couple of his episodes and he had a a young person who was physically disabled riding without a helmet and it was obvious her balance was not good. I sent a letter to Parellis asking them to please advocate the use of helmets. This is their reply, which I think is totally STUPID coming from professionals.

Patti - w.wa

Hi Patti,

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We understand your views and concerns. As quoted by the faculty at our ranch:

"You are quite right - helmets are fabulous things and they save many lives. Tragically though, people who ARE wearing helmets also die or suffer serious head injuries in accidents with horses.

Our program is intended to address the safety problem at its root - which is behavioral - rather than address the symptoms of it. Our message is about developing the relationship with the horse, and the savvy level of the rider, so that unsafe behavior is addressed long before the rider gets on the horse - rather than allowing the unsafe situations to continue to occur and hope that the helmet, body protector, etc, will protect us from the consequences.

The reason you do not see our people wearing helmets is because we try to teach people that rather than be brave because they are wearing a a helmet to protect them, they would be better off not riding until their horse is behaving safely.

People have called us brave for not wearing helmets, but we say they are a lot braver than we are. We would not get on their horse until we had addressed the issues that cause it to behave in unsafe ways.

We hope this helps,

From the Faculty, Parelli Centers"

I can barely believe it.... think I will wear my helmet no matter what!!!

2. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

I must have read the same forum as you bubblez, I was rather shocked at their view of riding without helmets. No matter what relationship you have with your horse accidents still happen. It just smacks of arrogance.#(

3. bubblez

I know btsr I was furious, there are soooooooooo many people out there that follow them soooooooooooo muchm, fo them to make a statement to ANYONE of this sort makes me furious, horses are unpredictable individuals, ANYTHING can happen!

4. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Oh goodness. What a stupid thing to say!
    Would it not be better for someone to wear a helmet even if the horse doesn't have any 'behavioural issues'.. as bubblez has said.. horses are unpredictable, they have a mind of their own..

5. Roleysgirl

Roleysgirl Active Member

i agree, its a really stupid thing to say as horses are very unpredictable and you could just as damaged if you were walking along and your 'totally safe' horse shied and you slipped off than if you were riding a race horse. I think its stupid for people like parelli to promote no helmets as many look up to them and look to copy their methods. And whats the ratio for injuries because of not wearing a helmet to injuries because of the helmet probably about 80:1!

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Is there a chance it could be fake?

If not......hmm, I won't say it!

7. bubblez

arnie, it is a possibility, but seems to be true?
    the possibility of it being true scares me!

8. mav

mav Well-known Member

if there are issues wether it is true or not forward it to them and ask for a response on it. it does seem really irresposible and to be honest quite rude. i mean so because i choose to wear a helmet when doing things on or off my property my horse has behaviour issues and i shouldnt be riding at all ??!!! :mad: just rude... and its a lawsuit waiting to happen as far as i can see. ride with them, no helmet because they dont advocate them, get injured and sue their pants off!!

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

It's too easy to fall off. Just last week my daughter and I were riding through the bush and a kangaroo jumped out in front of her gelding from behind a bush.

He instantly spun around and went to run. What sane horse would stand still if a 6 foot boomer exploded out of a bush in front of them?

Then because he turned to flee so did my mare. While neither of us fell off (I am sure my girl has super glue on her jodhis lol) things like this make you see how easy it is for something to happen.

I hope it is a stupid myth I wouldn't like to see the Parelli's advocating riding wihtout a helmet.

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

No helmet = no insurance liability. Surely the insurance companies in the US are not so lax as to advocate the above opinions on a working ranch?

I'd check if that response actually did come from rightful source.

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

And people wonder why I am so anti parelli and its converts.

Freak accidents happen, on perfectly safe horses, in a perfectly safe environment accidents happen, I know that if I wasnt wearing my helmet the day I fell of that a paralised arm would have been the very least of my problems today, if I even lived to regret it.

Idiot people, they are so involved in their own sales pitch that they can see the danger, for god sake, while you are on the road to making horses "safer" because there is not a horse born that will ever be 100% safe, you are in even more danger of getting hurt, all the more reason to wear helmets and vests.

Remove those rose coloured glasses while you at it, clearly they affect vision and reasoning.

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

ditto...well said Sharaway

Cheers
    Lee

13. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Well I am a Parelli supporter(not as one eyed or full on as I used to be though;)) and I've always been concerned about the fact that they never wear helmets-I'll always wear mine regardless but it really does send the wrong message especially because it is so easy to become fanatical about everything Parelli and a lot of the students are young and impressionable:(

14. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

Its not always about the horse doing something wrong. What about if it stumbles and the rider is thrown off, or as was posted elsewhere, the horse dies and as a result the rider hits the deck. Lots of ways we can get hurt that don't involve the horse misbehaving. My preference is to reduce the odds of serious injury by wearing a helmet.

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Dead right equislave, my accident was 100% no fault to either horse or the rider. But I can 100% tell you that if I wasnt wearing it, well lets say death is a rather permanent error!

16. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Bubblez, Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are recovering well and that you will be back on your horses soon.

It would be interesting to hear where you sent your query to, although I would expect that you would have sent it directly to Parelli, therefore you would expect the answer to be quite genuine.

I think the problem with Parelli's response is reflected in the following:

One root of safety problems may, in some cases, be behavioural ie; a resistant response to the horse/rider relationship. However, the occurance of the unexpected and the immediate response this elicits in prey animals is also a valid root of extreme behaviour in horses and one in which the horse/rider relationship has little bearing.

By disregarding the possiblity of horses simply freaking at something unexpected, you place yourself at risk by not wearing a helmet. By then promoting this idea amongst those who respect and admire you, you are neglecting the well being of others due to poor and misguided beliefs.

Irresponsible behaviour in my opinion.

Sim

17. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Agree Sim....and all

Surprisingly many injuries also occur on the ground. It seems they do not advocate the use of helmets at all.....even when teaching a badly behaved horse to behave :)
    If I have to handle a horse with behaviour problems I where a helmet on the ground as well & I also require all children to wear their helmets when around the horses.....ie tacking up, grooming etc.
    Kids are so much closer to hoof level & you never know when a horse will react unexpectedly.
    An example how quick something can happen where a simple error was made..... Skito took one of her horses up to Serpi this weekend for someone to ride. The girl did a lovely job, horse went well....everything was great. The girl decides to untack the horse & instead of tieing him to the truck tied him to the float yards. The horse always ties up well & it was only for a few seconds while she took the saddle of.
    So....a motorbike goes screaming past the horse & frightens him, he pulls back & takes the yard with him. Smacks her in the mouth with the yard & she now has a split lip & requires dental surgury.....
    So....well trained horse, who does not have behaviour problems..... things happen.

I think Pat & Linda do not like wearing helemts themselves.....but should be advocating their use to their followers. Yes....very irresponsible

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  18. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

Isnt it funny how people get Bravery & Stupidity confused!!:confused:*#) Its like saying 'I dont wear a seatbelt in the car cause im a safe driver!'

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  19. mav

mav Well-known Member

i agree with you sim although i think it wasnt bubblez who was injured but another person who has written the letter (possibly patti?))

20. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

yup. i got clipped on the head by my horse when i was doing his front feet - he had a fly on his tummy & he kiked up at it & got me. luckily no permanent damage, but could have been bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.