Palomino question

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by shyloh, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Hi Shyloh

He is just a straight palomino; what you see along his back is generally called shadowing which a lot of palominos have, particularly at certain times of the year. It also seems to be more common when one parent is smutty - I've seen some ripper shadowing, false dun factors etc on horses that have a smutty parent. Apart from which I don't think there are pure-bred genetic dun Welshies anyway (no doubt someone will correct me if this isn't true:)* ) so his sire would be a buckskin and if neither parent is a genetic dun he can't possibly be a genetic dun either.

The shadowing doesn't make him ineligible for paly registration at all so if you want to get him registered, go right ahead **). The coloured hairs in his mane and tail probably come from the liver chestnut dam and are possibly a legacy of the shadowing along his back. They may go against him to a degree in paly classes depending on the judge but ultimately good paly judging comes down to conformation in the end so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

that's what I wasn't sure of:):confused:

3. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

:DShyloh is smiling:D
    thankyou to all that helped goodie for putting up his photo's
    tintara for your great colour knowledge and to everyone else **)
    cheers shyloh :}

4. mineees

mineees Gold Member

yes we are searching for a dun welsh.no luck so far...

5. Abbey09

Abbey09 New Member

Black marks on a palamino

Hi im just wondering if anyone can tell me what black patches on a palamino are caused by.

Regards

6. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

@)welcome Abbey09
    hope you enjoy stockyard forum
    the black patches could be caused by the smutting gene or feed like lucerne or molasses

7. magic_kiss

magic_kiss Active Member

ummm your boy is still Palomino but palamino roan thats what the redish colour is.

8. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

Magic Kiss if you want to see what a palomino roan looks like ask Coliban nicely and I am sure she would be happy to put up some pictures of Metallic Oak

9. You are a mind reader, mudslide! I was going to put pics up anyway, I got Tel's pics last night, it is very green in Michigan now as you can see.

Metallic Oak(exp USA) Q-42461, bred by Coliban stud.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lena

10. mudslide

Hahahhaha Lena you know me to well :p
    Wow look at Tel hasnt he matured beautifully, was thinking of the photos you had of him in the round yard, that might give MK more of an idea on what the pally roan looks like :)

11. He is a busy popular boy, it is full on breeding season over there, so he is a bit on a lean side*#)

12. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

hello colibanqh
    could you please put the round yard photo mudslide was talking about up
    stunning horse I bet he would be very busy

13. Hi Shyloh
    here you go:)
    [​IMG]
    I think mudslide meant this one.

14. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

ooo me like that pony!

15. mudslide

Thats the one, thanks Lena :))

16. This pic was taken at Muskatine, Iowa. Look at his extended trot!**)
    Gee, I miss this horse! :D

17. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

thankyou **)
    what a awesome boy can see the difference in his coat in the other photo's he just looks palomino which i might add is still beautiful

18. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

ahhhh there is my Tel man! he's looking awesome as always. love that boy.

cheers

Sue

19. magic_kiss

magic_kiss Active Member

i no what a palomino roan is (i own one) Normally pallys dont have redish colour in there mane but pally roan horses do. Coliban you guy is very nice.

20. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

got a photo to put up of your pally roan magic kiss
    pretty please :D
    cheers shyloh :)