Palomino question

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by shyloh, Mar 5, 2010.

1. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

hi pallli breeders and lovers
    question for you my palli welsh d has heaps of reddish/chestnut hairs in his name and tail is this normal as I always thought they had blonde mane and tails he also has what I think is a reddish dorsal stripe???
    Any idea's of way he has these colours. :confused:
    cheers shyloh :}

2. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Can you post a couple of pics?

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

It isn't uncommon for palominos to have red hairs through their mane and tail. Usually it is found on darker palominos. However it isn't correct for breed showing and so they will/may be penalised for it.

4. IbanezGirl

IbanezGirl Well-known Member

black or chestnut hairs in the mane and tail is common. if you plan on showing and there is only a few coloured hairs, just pluck them out:))

dont think ive seen a dorsal stripe on a pally though:confused:

5. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

Sounds to me like you have a Dunalino, not a Palomino. The only way to be fully sure is with colour testing.

Here are a couple of pics of Dunalino's clearly showing the dorsal stripe and mane/tail colored hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  6. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

hi all
    thanks for your comments
    danya the dunalino photo didn't come through could you re try:)
    I have a couple of photo's of him taken recently but I need to email them to some-one so they can put them up for me :D please
    you can PM me if you want to keep your email address private

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Shyloh's photos:)*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Thanks goodie
    hope people can give me some idea's

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

What colour were her parents shyloh:confused:

10. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Hi again fellow night owl @)
    Cassadie's parents sire buckskin welsh refer to him as dun
    dam liver chestnut but she has a mass of dapples at certain time of the year
    Ps Is there a dummies guide for putting up photo's ;)

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

ok...welsh call buckskin dun...sooo if mum is a true dun (and not a buckskin)she could be a dunalino if she is a buckskin then your mare is pally. he appears to be pally in the photos, the mane is quite normal with the "gold" hairs growing up the side...is he going through a change of coat in the first one:confused:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  12. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Cassadie is a welsh d stallion :D he has his summer coat at the moment so his reddish stripe is more noticeable I never rug him so these are paddock condition photo's
    his sire has what looks like a dorsal stripe from memory will check portable hard drive to double check
    nice to know that the reddish mane hairs are normal
    thanks for your time

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Probably the only way to tell for sure would be to have him tested:)*

14. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Thoughts anyone ?

15. oakover

oakover Well-known Member

Just by looking at the pictures yours looks like a normal Palomino. Any horse canhave a dorsal stripe but that doesn't automatically make it a dun, it's just a primitive marking. Palominos can have a variety of coloured haitrs in their mane and tail ranging from pure white to having chestnut, black or even salt and pepper looking colours running through, it just means their colour isn't as pure. If the dam was a liver chestnut or a smutty chestnut that would quite possibly be why as you seem to get a clearer colour from a normal chestnut rather than a smutty one.
    It is obviously always a good idea to colour test trhem if in doubt just to set your mind at ease. tintara would probably be the best to answer your question about the colours as she's a full bottle on this.

16. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Thanks oakover.
    your palli boy is just awesome
    well I think it would be a good idea to have him tested to ease my mind I am going *#)
    Is colour expert tintara available for her opinon ????

17. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

PS is it true that because of his dorsal stripe he can't be registered with any palomino society's.

18. Yes, it is true:)

19. mineees

mineees Gold Member

cant be reg with a straight pally society,but if a dna is done and he comes back a dun then he can be reg with Dilutes as a dun or Western Australian Buckskin/dun Association.And if he comes back negative for dun,then he is a pally and can be reg as a pally with any society that reg pallys...:))

to be reg hes needs to be classified and these people will tell you what to do in regards to his colour, to me he looks pally.does he have any stripes/shading on his hocks/knees? and any type of stripe or shading on his neck..

20. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

Thanks to both C & M for your advise I am a little confused though one is saying he can't be palli regoed and the other is saying he can
    M things appear on him with different coat changes I will go back to my photo album and see if their is any shading or barring on him
    thanks for your time both of you