Palomino eye colour

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by JSP, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JSP

JSP Well-known Member

my previous pally foals were all born with pretty "normal" eye colours but my newest one was born with a partial pale blue eye (same colour as his cremello mum). Is this normal for pallies and will it darken up as he gets older? He is only 2 weeks old :eek:

oh and heres a pic of the cutie in question...

[​IMG]

2. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

No idea.. But he's stunning! Blue eyes look lovely with a pally coat :)

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

From that photo it looks very much like a parti blue eye, probably caused from splash...is their Overo breeding';' definitely not "normal" pally eye colour. His mum's eyes are blue because she is a double dilute, which won't be passed onto him, being a single cream

4. JSP

JSP Well-known Member

thanks myyky i'm used to cremellos with their blue eyes but his is kinda of freaking me out a little lol

Elanda, he is a purebred QH and both parents have minimal white and no paint in any of his lineage to my knowledge. He must be a bit of a "throw back" - his grandsire shining priority has a lot of white markings

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I tend to agree with you.
    It doesn't look like a typical newborn blue eyed Pali eye, that darkens...

Here is my Welsh Filly (old pic), she's her blue eye, looks like your bubs eye.

[​IMG]

He's cute though - massive congrats!

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I dont think it comes from his grandsires line SP only has a thinnish blaze and 3 socks and his lines have no more colour than that. What are the mares lines';'

7. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Ooh he's like Dave!! :p

[​IMG]

Dave is pure QH - dam line has mostly chestnuts, sire line has a few palis but mostly chestnut/brown/bay... Don't have a clue what markings they had, but I doubt it has anything to do with the blue eye...

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

blue eyes on dark skinned horses are usually caused by splash..they can have loud markings or none at all

9. Diana

Diana Gold Member

How does the splash gene/allele/whatever it is come about?

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

last I read it is an incomplete dominant gene which they have yet to find a way of testing for. Which means it takes one allele from one parent one form the other and neither is dominant so it creates a combination.

ETA: this explains it better than me (from what I have learned the 2nd option is most likely. Their is a section on splashed white and another further down on blue eyes
    Coat color genetics and blue eyes

11. Dave and the Welsh filly both show definite splashed white characteristics and I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's little pali was one as well! Splashed white horses sometimes (not always) have blue or partly blue eyes but the defining characteristic is white that a) falls off the side of the face a little, making a crooked blaze/stripe; b) sometimes goes quite near the eyes and in higher levels of expression goes over them; and c) lots of white on the muzzle, sort of like the horse has dipped its muzzle in milk or white paint. In higher levels of expression the horse has a bald face (NOT a big blaze, a proper white head) and lots of white up the legs. The white is usually higher in the hinds than the fronts. They can have a belly splash, similar to the one caused by sabino but with sharp edges.

Not all splashed whites display all the markers. My girl I suspect of having SW (she also has a parti-blue eye) and she does display most of the markers, including white higher in the hinds than the fronts. She has one sock... it is on a hind leg.

Often, splashed white and sabino combine, resulting in something often quite similar to the little Welsh filly, with a lower lip spot and lots of white on the forehead but an otherwise very sabino-like blaze.

There are ONLY two genes that cause blue eyes in non-double-cream horses as far as science knows and those are splashed white and frame overo. None of these horses seem to show any sign of frame. I would say all of them are probably minimally expressed splash and sabino.

ETA; champagne can cause amber, hazel or even green, but as far as I know, usually not blue.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  12. GailR

GailR New Member

Not the normal grey/smke blue eye of a palomino. That is a parti blue eye and will stay that way imo.

13. JSP

JSP Well-known Member

Thanks for the info everyone **)

Does this rule him out for pally registration then....?

He does have two hind socks and a tiny one at the front. Neither parents have produced much white before, so I was a little surprised when he popped out lol

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Fo
    r studbook rego they need dark eyes. May be able to be reg in appendix though.

15. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Can he still be AQHA rego'ed with blue eyes?

16. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Yup :)

Dave is...

17. GailR

GailR New Member

He can't be registered at all with Dilutes Australia if that eye stays parti coloured. DA require two dark eyes for all solid registers unless they are cremello or perlino of course.