Pally or perlino?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Dark Embrace, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

A friend had a foal born yesterday.

Dam: Buckskin Blanket Appy
    Sire: Buckskin QH

Looks to be pale Pally with a blanket, but has 2 blue eyes?
    Neither parents have blue eyes.
    Will try to get a photo this afternoon.

Any Ideas?

2. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

Could be either.... does she have a wide blaze that may be causing the blue eyes???? If not I'll put my bets on perlino:)*

3. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I believe I have just been shown a photo of this one - can't have been too many foals that colour with that precise parentage born this season:)*. He is a perlino appy :)).

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Yeah my bet would be on Perlino something... Would be pretty random to get a pally out of two buckies :eek:

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Not random at all. ;)
    Pali's are born with blue eyes but it's generally a different shade to a Double Dilute eye.

Would love to see pics! :))

6. Dark Embrace

As Tintara said, were 99% sure that he is a Perlino Appy. The photos I took the other day were very dark. So will try to get some new ones today to put up. :))

7. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Ditto. If both parents carry a copy of red (which they will do if they have a red based parent) a red based foal (chestnut, paly or cremello) is just as likely as a black based foal (bay/brown/black, bucky or perlino). This foal has a reddish tinge to his mane & tail which points to him being perlino rather than cremello.

8. Dark Embrace

Here are some photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

After seeing the pics, yes DD. ;)

10. Jocko

Jocko Well-known Member

stunning foal congrats

11. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Definitely a double dilute, Id say perlino rather than cremello, as he has that orange-y coloured mane/tail that perlinos have.