Pally or chestnut??

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Playin With Fire, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

This is my friends first cross QH filly by Colonels Gold and out of a chestnut TB mare. Do you think she is a chestnut or a pally??

These are the only photos I have atm but will get better ones tonight (that you can actually see!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A photo of her mum a few years back so you can see her colour (not that it makes any difference)
    [​IMG]

2. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

What colour is the sire?
    Foal looks chestnut to me...but need a closer piccie...cute by the way

3. Playin With Fire

Sire is Pally sorry forgot to mention that.
    I haven't actually seen the foal myself but the owner said her mane has white hairs. I know that time will tell but I'm interested to see what people think!

4. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Looks chestnut to me as well, but photos are very small. Just because it has white hairs in the mane doesnt mean it will be a palomino.

5. Playin With Fire

OBHH that's what I said to her. It doesn't matter to her either way it's more my curiosity that's prompted me to ask :)

6. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

oh ok....I know nothing about breeding but it does look like a chestnut!

7. Pinto Lover

Pinto Lover Well-known Member

Chestnut as foal has a red tail so I'd say chestnut **)

8. I would test her for Cr gene at Animal Genetics. She doesn't have any red hue to her coat color. Might be a pally!*#)
    lena

9. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Honestly, I rekon pally. Was she born with lighter red rigs around her eyesm like most chestnuts are?

10. Cav

Cav Gold Member

What colour is the skin around her eyes???

Youll know what colour when the foal coat drops :)**)

11. Playin With Fire

Not sure about her eyes. I think the owner was saying she is a dirty colour around her eyes and nose if that makes any sense?
    I know in a month or so you will be able to tell and it's really not a big deal either way as she is gorgeous....
    Will get bigger photos tonight!

12. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Really need close ups to tell for sure but I think paly; as Lena says she isn't red and as there is what appears to be a chestnut in the background, you can see they are two completely different colours.

At around about 6 weeks of age you should notice a ridge of white hair starting to grow through along the base of the mane - that will be the first real sign of what colour she is. A lot of palys born this colour end up a beautiful gold **)

13. Playin With Fire

Oops I totally forgot to put up better photos last night. Will do it tonight!
    Thanks Tintara, I know that this is your subject so your opinion is most appreciated!

14. Playin With Fire

Ok here are some photos from yesterday.
    Not sure if they are useful or not??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pallylover

pallylover New Member

Definatey chestnut. Most pallies are born a apricot colour. The eyelashes are a good indication too. Red is chestnut and lighter than that may be chestnut.
    I breed pally stockhorses.

16. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

- so do I **)

As you say, MOST but not ALL ........... I bred one this colour and was on the verge of registering him as chestnut when his mane started growing through white; he is the most beautiful gold now and very definitely NOT chestnut. A friend bred one that was registered as a chestnut and was sold with the dam at 6 weeks. Six months later she received some photos of a lovely gold filly - again definitely not chestnut !!!!!! Quite a few pallies are in fact born this colour and as some have a cremello parent they really can't be anything BUT palominos.

17. Dakotakdq

Dakotakdq New Member

my friends pally was born red with red mane n tail and shed orange coloured pally. my QH buckskin mare had all her pallies born dark red and her buckskins were born bay looking :) keeps you guessing.

18. I think (by looking at the regrowth) that it is a pally.

19. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

i dunno but she's cute!!!!!

20. Playin With Fire

Well she is def a pally! She is getting blonder and blonder by the day!