paliminos & cremellos

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Jack Lives Here, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Jack Lives Here

Jack Lives Here New Member

whats the difference?
    And also, what identifies a cremello?
    I know what a pally looks like, but not too sure about cremellos.
    And are there any other "cream" coloured horses that have different names for their colouring?

2. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

4. sil

sil Gold Member

A palomino is a chestnut horse with one dilute gene
    A buckskin is a bay horse with one dilute gene

A cremello is a chestnut horse with two dilute genes
    A perlino is a bay horse with two dilute genes

Visually a palomino's colour can vary from very pale cream through bright gold and into chocolate shades but genetically they all only have one dilute gene. A palomino has black skin (except where they have white markings).

A cremello visually is always very pale, and has pink or 'purplish' skin.

Also a cremello has pale eyes while a palomino will have brown eyes. This is the easiest way to tell between a pale palomino and a cremello at a glance.

Other dilute shades apart from the 4 above:

Silver (aka taffy, or silver dapple) - the silver gene only works on black based coats, ie black and bay - it dilutes these coats to silver on black, and dilutes the black points on a bay to a cool brown/chestnut shade. They often have dapples especially when clipped.

Champagne - the champagne gene works like the creme gene but only works on chestnuts - while the horse goes a palomino colour its skin goes a mottled shade of pinky brown and the eyes are hazel as opposed to brown.

There are more but all I can think of right now! :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  5. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

Horses having the dilute gene are palominos, cremellos, buckskins, duns, silvers (taffies), amber, champagne and perlino hope this answers your cream colour question.

6. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Jackliveshere, colour is the difference

A cremello has blue eyes and pink skin and can be the result of breeding a palomino to palomino.

The other cream coloured horse is Perlino

Here is a head shot of my cremello mare
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Sue

7. LNT

LNT Well-known Member

hey zoo

maybe a dumb question, but being so pale does your mare suffer from sunburn or anything?

she's just gorgeous tho :)*

8. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Champagne - the champagne gene works like the creme gene but only works on chestnuts - while the horse goes a palomino colour its skin goes a mottled shade of pinky brown and the eyes are hazel as opposed to brown.

Ummmmmmm, champagne works on any colour including horses that already carry one of the other dilutions. A bay becomes an amber champagne, a brown is a sable champagne and a black is a classic champagne. In conjunction with one copy of cream you get gold cream, amber cream, sable cream and classic cream. There are also dun / cream / champagne composites which are very attractive.

I think it is important to refer to palys, buckys, cremellos & perlinos as cream dilutes to distinguish them from the other coat colour dilutions. These days when someone says dilute I do not automatically think of a cream dilute.

9. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

LNT thank you yes she is gorgeous and is currently r/u hi point haler appdx Quarter Horse mare of australia and r/u hi point mare WAQHA so we are very proud of her achievements.

I have 2 cremello mares and have never experienced any sunburning effects what so ever. I do find though they do not like the glare of the sun on their eyes and tend to stay in the shade. I do however agree with the theory that some cremellos do have impaired vision. One of mine does and the other does not.

Cheers

Sue

10. sil

sil Gold Member

I stand corrected! :) :p