Paddocking horses alone

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Zegger, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

I have recently just acquired about 2 acres in Henley brook split into 6 paddocks . I only the have the one horse , who would be staying there. :)

Problem is , he has bad separation anxiety . Currently where he is kept , he calls out and hoons when his mate isn't with him and if you try and take him away from his friend at dinner time , he will drag the lead rope out of your hands and bolt back to his friend .

I'm worried if I move him to the new place , he is just going to stress and end up hurting himself from hooning . Not to mention ripping up my paddocks . I was thinking he would stress for the first few days then calm down . I was going to just leave him in his yard for the first day so he doesn't race around all day .

Has anybody had success with paddocking horses alone ? Especially interested in horses that have separation anxiety also . He can't see any other horses but he could probably hear them , as across the road is a racing stable .

Also getting another horse of my own isn't financially possible at the moment . I was thinking of getting him a companion pony , but I pay for all the paddocks based on how many horses are there (family friends property, that's why ). So that itself isn't really an option.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

Zegger our horse Elvis is a nervy type, but we have two alpacas in another paddock (will be put in with him once we get back fence heightened).
    Does the owner of the property or another friend have a couple of sheep or goats (maybe the owners can reduce the fee as they are not as big as a horse) you can put in another paddock until your horse settles and then share his paddock.

3. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I use to own a horse with massive separation anxiety. He usually was in the paddock alone but had horses next to him. At one point he ended up on the property alone and after the initial melt down he was the most sane he had ever been. So much easier to handle when living alone.

4. Crackerjack

Crackerjack New Member

My older TB boy was an absolute nightmare when he was paddocked with other horses, I couldn't do anything with him without him having a buddy around.
    He was then paddocked alone for quite sometime & like Gamby's horse he turned into the most sane he had ever been. Completely different horse and for the better.

The main things I would be watching for is that your horse is lying down to sleep regularly & eating properly. Some wont feel confident enough on their own to experience normal REM sleep (which requires lying down) and can become very sleep deprived :)

5. Priently

Priently New Member

I prefer my horse to be paddocked alone.

He is hard fed twice a day (dont have to worry about other horses pinching feed) rugged (dont have to worry about damaged rugs) and he is accident prone (can avoid injuries easier).

He did get a bit attached to two horses in the paddock next to him, to the point he was injuring himself when they were moved, so I moved him to another paddock at the agistment and he settled right down.