Paddock Boots?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by kelly, Mar 1, 2009.

1. kelly

kelly Well-known Member

Does anyone use them? I'm thinking of getting some as my girl is constantly hurting her legs she has a habbit of putting her legs in anything she can find and pouring at her feed bin when she is eating*#) she is a strange one it's rather odd*#) So whcih ones do you use and prefer? any info on them would be great**)

2. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

umm yeah I do/did for old guys to help keep there legs warm in winter and do when stabled if they are not bandaged :)

I have umm .. I have forgotten the brand but they are purple and arnt roma ones hmmm will check for you later , they are really nice.

I would be care full putting paddock boots on something that likes to hurt there legs as there is more chance of getting caught or trying to get them off if they are hot or something ...

3. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

i have a set of sunset ones for George, they are awesome, you can get what ever colour you want aswell

4. kelly

kelly Well-known Member

hmm yes very good point she has nothing in her paddock to hurt her legs on and still manages to do it. I think i have one if those accadent prone horses:( I have seen horses in the summer with them on on boiling hot days wouldn't they make there legs sweat? Is there a specially type that doesn't that people use? As you can see ive never used them:p

5. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

I was warned that keeping paddock boots on can damage the tendons if they are too hot? Or something. I never used them again, but they make awesome exercise boots. :p

6. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

Got the same problem with my mare Kel. It is so frustrating! :mad:

7. kelly

kelly Well-known Member

its horrible hey laitest thing she did was mums parntner come down to do something with the fences and brought a banana and without thinking he put a banana and an esky next to each other in a metal bin for some stange reason. She could get her head in there so she put her foot in there just to get the banana and now she has a lump on her leg where she hit it and im crossing my fingers it doesnt turn into a splint or something:(

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. pso

pso Gold Member

Nah ND..no good as exercise boots...they dont cover the important bits...;)

9. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

The canvas and sheepskin ones that Saddleworld sell are good.
    Pretty cheap as well and the sheepskin breathes so even on the hot days my boys legs weren't too hot.

10. kelly

kelly Well-known Member

Thanks Beanie i will go have a look:)

11. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

The rug rack have the cheapest sheepskin paddock boots I've ever found :) Their products are really good too.
    I have the sunset ones and would highly recommend them but they are expensive

12. crputter

crputter Active Member

I used a pair of leather and sheep skin paddock boots on my boy. He used to come in almost everyday with a new cut to his legs! I think they may have saved me from a lot of injuries as they got pretty beat up! As he has got older and wiser he isn't hurting himself so much now and i only put them on when he moved to a new place or new horses in his paddock.

I got mine from horseland a couple of years ago. Also if you chose to use them makes sure you take them off and brush under them daily (or twice daily) as they seem to end up with dirt etc in them.

13. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

No worries Kelly. By the way they have suede ones too for the same price if you don't want canvas **)

14. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

I highly recommend Sunset Rugs. I use the canvas and sheepskin ones in winter, one set are 4 years old now and are still 100%.
    They wash up really well in the washing machine as well.
    Be wary of some of the ones in horse shops, etc as some are synthetic "fleece" and not real sheepskin. Real sheepskin is breathable. Synthetic is not.

15. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

Pso, baby dressage remember ;) I've been through a few boots, I had those roma excerise ones which looked like they protected more, but they are so thin, if he wanted to be a tool, his back foot would like rip it to shreds. So I went for the paddock boots instead. Someone recommended the protec boots for dressage??

16. pso

pso Gold Member

ND...In baby dressage it is more important to protect all of the leg...cos they are more inclined to be unbalanced, and knock their legs... The sheepskin paddock boots leave the sesamoid, the anular ligament, extensor suspensory branch...etc, etc,etc..all exposed to knocking...Regular brushing boots protect all of these..;)

I have some boots here you might like to look at :p

17. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

what do you reccomend pso ? I have just the roma splint boots or I bandage for work at home ...would that cover enough ?

18. Skittle

Skittle New Member

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem keeping the paddock boots on there horse? Mine has gone through 3 sets so far each one has been eaten over night....

19. pso

pso Gold Member

The clarendon boots are VERY protective (and I am a tad protective of my boots too...they live in the house when not in use!)
    Bella Equestrian - Clarendon Horse Boots

Woofwear also do good boots... (I use the 'original' brushing boots, and the T-form impact boots)- they last forever if you look after them..wash well...look good- hard to get in Oz tho (try bEay!)
    Woof Wear - Ultimate Equestrian Protection - Woof Wear

or Horson if you want a cross between a sheepskin uggy and a work boot...cheap and easy, but they do spin around if your horse does hit its legs (similarly to most 'splint' boots)
    Peter Horobin Saddlery

Budget option...Roma Performance boots...They are almost an exact copy of the Woofwear work boots...not sure if they still make them tho?
    Allingtons Outpost : An Australian Outpost Spirit - Roma Performance Boots

Does that help? Ideally you need to protect the back and inside of the fetlock joint...without restricting movement:)

20. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

I haven't had a problem with mine so far.
    If your horse is prone to chewing on them/ripping them etc then there is not much you can do.

My sheepskin/canvas ones have been great and I have a young TB who likes to put everything in his mouth like a puppy:)

Maybe give canvas a go if you have not already