Over sensitivity to flies

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by myyky, Oct 21, 2012.

1. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Does anyone have a horse that just can't stand flies on them when being ridden?
    I just rode Fitz in the big paddock at our agisrment and even with a flyveil and aeroguard on, the flies were getting him. Walk was worst, constantly cow kicking, head tossing etc. and was irritated in general. Even at trot he kept trying to scratch his legs and head.
    We were with 2 other horses, both were swishing tails but not actually that irritated by them.

Not sure if its a thing to avoid work, or because he really doesn't like the suckers... they're really plaguey atm. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I dont think horses make things up. Good thing is the flies tend to taper off once the really hot weather kicks in, in December.

To help him, you could try riding early morning/late evening or at night if you have lights (or by moonlight, which is nice). I also choose to float to nice shady riding areas like Darling Downs for summer riding to escape dust and flies.

Most sprays and repellents only work for a short time, but that's long enough to ride- after stuffing about with various home made mozzie repellents I now just invest in 5 litre Repel-X napalm strength insecticide from a garden sprayer twice daily. Along with a natural herbal cream for the sensitive skin of face and groin, this keeps bites to a minimum.

ETA- this may seem obvious, but keep on top of your poo pickup and keep pile away from riding areas, use flytraps, keep horse areas clean and dry to reduce general attractiveness to flies.

Flymasks are great, some people report great results from the Permethrin impregnated fly rugs, masks, and leg wraps, but for me they did diddly squat against mozzies. Up to you if you think it's safe to ride in a fly mask and leg wraps.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  3. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

I know that feeling, Jack is extremely sensitive to flys and bugs.
    He will pretty much do the same thing but the flys can send him into full blown 3 year old pony tantrum.
    The expensive herbaly type flyspray and cream from horseland I found the best. It seemed to repel them the most :)

4. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

OH yep :eek: I really don't have much to advise other than a good fly repellant that works locally, and riding at the right time - and a bit of sympathy/empathy.

I have one here that does the same to

1. Mosquitoes (which are more of a problem here than flies, and
    2. his sweat???? ';' hrrmmm..... :}

Which is a bit of a compounding issue - as sweat, attracts mosquitoes! :p *#)

So what I do, LOL....is only ride in windy weather, or in the morning.

2 things I hate - windy weather...and mornings :eek: ah well.

And the sweat - well the solution to that one was work him harder, make him sweat more so he effectively got over it......or was to tired to care.... :p

5. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Unfortunately I can't really ride at either time! I'm a stablehand on split shifts 6-11 then 3.30-5.30 everyday :/ sometimes I get time after work in the arvos..
    poor princess pony! I might try him with paddock boots on tomorrow, and the fly veil, and extra spray on his legs which seemed to be the main problem.

Blackbat, you can put that repel x stuff on their skin?? No poop in the paddock because its just been cut and baled :)

6. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Repel X is fine on their skin/coat :)

Apart form this. all I can suggest is just a a big glass of get a grip for him :( Ride him strong and through it..... :/

7. Faberge

Faberge New Member

Try flygon its oil based so stays on much longer , I find its the best :)

8. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

Yup Lucky is the same.. I just cover him from head to tail in permoxin and try to be quite sympathetic.. He has to still work, but I don't tell him off for the ocasional head toss, especially not when I'm shaking my head, throwing my hands around and screaming profanities at the flies around my face *#)

9. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

I forgot about permoxin! I have some flea powder I used when we had the tick problem.. wonder if it would work for flies?

NLEC I just realised repel x is the animal one.. for some reason I thought it was a chemical from bunnings! :p

10. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I bought a 5L Flygon thinking the oil base would stick better. However, after apolying it liberally twice daily all week, and my patchy horse rolling in the black dust, he had to be washed with 3 shampooings before I could ride. He looked like an Exxon Valdez victim.

11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Repel-X, buy the 5 litres, applied liberally.

Fly mask, sprayed with Repel-X before putting on horse.

If he is really really bothered by flies, could you get a soft mesh rug or combo and put it on over his tack, then you sit on top of the rug (on top of the saddle) and work him with it on. You might need a size bigger rug, but it should work. Also, leg wraps on all four legs. I have not tried the mesh rug idea, so not sure if he would get too hot...perhaps you could ride through some sprinklers.;)

Feeding garlic definitely helps, but not too sure if I would give to an ulcer prone horse?????

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I have no solution for 'during fly hours'. Out here the flies are the WORST they've ever been. I go anywhere in Perth and I barely notice their there and everyone is complaining! Their that bad out here.

You'll have a good 50+ flies around your face. I'm not kidding, if you actually stop and look you literally have a swarm around you!

So I get up early, work the horses super early before the flies kick in. Even with flyveils, sprays etc I won't have 100% attention from my horse that I require :) so up early it is! Plus I don't fancy en-hailing them either!

13. crave

crave Well-known Member

Mine hates them as well, hes coated in Repel x and also is fed garlic which hasnt made a squat of difference. Just work him through it as much as I can and ride early if Im not at an event that is :)

14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

I know ppl who use outdoor fogger on their horses. Not sure about the long term repercussions, but at about $8 (I think) a can, it's pretty efficient. And this is for wanneroo flies, who are notoriously obnoxious.

I haven't used it myself but i am damn tempted to, thats for sure. I usually save my riding until much later than 5.30 tho. It just saves discussion.

Oh, and a good work ethic helps. I know with my horse if he was at all out of his head, he would be tuning into anything and everything to worry about. Once i learned to get, and maintain his focus, there were considerably less issues with flies, shying, etc and so on.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  15. Carthorse

Carthorse New Member

My little princess is extremely sensitive to the flies - I think they may actually be flying pirahnas that are tearing flesh off him. During summer I constantly have black shins from the teeth connecting when he swings his head around to shoo them! Riding really early does help a bit (he also suffers from Anhidrosis so has to be ridden before heat kicks in) but this year I am also going to invest in a fly rug that you can wear while riding - have a look on line and you should be able to find them and dont think they are very expensive, basically is a fly rug with a "hole" cut out for the saddle to go through.

16. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Swift, its a pour on. lasts a few months. Its $30 from the vets in waroona. They also have the concentrated permoxin for $30 as well. I have used it here and its great and very economical.

17. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I use Out door fogger on myself and my horse when I ride. so far neither of us has grown a second head. *#) Very effient in keeping the flys away

for face I have found donnybrookhoof fly cream to be good. Bit cheaper then NB cream. ;)

18. realalvin

realalvin New Member

I have fly mesh combos on my boy after I take his cottons off and my gelding is okay in his until over sort of 40, and he feels the heat a lot more about 35!
    But he only sweat where the silk lining is on his shoulder, so you can get just pure mesh rugs with no lining on the shoulder .I used a Harrison howard one, and i think it is okay. Recommendations only!