OTTB who has trouble going left

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by brittany_137, Dec 16, 2013.

1. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

i have an ottb who has trouble going left, have heard before that some ottbs have a similar problem turning one way but couldnt remember what way it was.
    has anyone had similar problems? or have any ideas about how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

2. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Majority of Australia's race tracks are anti clockwise so usually most thoroughbreds don't have a problem going left. It's going right that's the problem. So I would first wonder if your horse has any pain issues etc, once that's ruled out you need to focus on working evenly. If he's come from a stable with their own track he wouldn't have been worked on both sides but again that should cause his right side to be the worse but anyway, try doing lots of work on his bad diagonal, lunging his bad side and lots of circle work on the bad side. Also plenty of transitions will help him find his balance as you'll find he will struggle at first to circle on his bad side, he'll be unbalanced and rather than bend around your leg he may poke his hind or nose.

3. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

I'll have to double check its left, the girl thats riding him at the moment messaged me today about it. so i thought i'd do some research. he is a rescue who was extremely underweight and has come back into work over the last couple of months so could that have anything to do with it? i'll keep working on his bad side, if no improvement will get a vet out to check him over, chiro's come out but hasnt found any problems. thankyou.

4. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Get teeth checked. When my horse had problems going left, it was due to his teeth. He had ramps, hooks and ulcers in his mouth which caused him a lot of pain (hence the problems). As soon as his teeth were done, he was fine.

5. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

If there is nothing medically wrong and considering his background, it may also be that he just doesn't know what the aid is to turn left. A good way to teach that would be the porcupine game from the parrelli 7 game series IMO.

Since you mention he is a rescue, I would definately get the dentist and either a vet/chiro/ body therapist (which ever you believe in, I know a good body work lady based out of Mandurah that I have had out to my horse. PM me if you would like her details). There would be nothing worse than persisting with schooling if the poor guy is in pain.

6. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

When you say he has trouble going left what exactly is it that he does? It could be that due to lack of work he is weaker that side and therefore finds it more difficult or it could even be a rider problem. Most of us are stronger on one side than the other and this affects the horse without us even being aware of it. I would be interested to know more about what the problem is.

7. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm not sure to be honest I haven't really noticed it with him, I've always done circles with him and he's been alright with that. The girl i have leasing him told to maybe get someone out for him because he's having trouble going left. I wasn't sure who to get out that's why I thought I'd see what everyone posts on here that way I can go from there, he had his teeth done about 6 months ago so he's about due for a checkup, and Chiro was only out about 2 months ago. I know he can be stubborn when he wants to, so it could have even been that. I'll have to go watch her ride him next time so I can see what she means and if its anything major or him not understanding what she wants or his stubbornness. This is the only time this I've been told about this, she's ridden a handful more times without having anything to say about it.

8. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

it may be the girl then causing the issue if he's ok for you.

my hips are permanently crooked and every horse i get on has problems turning left until they get used to me.

9. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Yep same here! I have scoliosis (10-14 degrees) and a twisted pelvis. My left side is shocking. Though I'm actually pretty good at getting horses going nice an even as I've learnt to deal with it, my major issue is a square stand. It's near impossible for me to teach from the saddle as I don't/can't sit even so the horse will always bring a rear leg under to compensate for me. Blahhhhh

Anyway I agree if the horse is going good for you either he's having her on or she's causing it. Either way only she can fix the problem.