One rein stop and biting

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Mater, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

My green broken mare is quite a handful to ride, but it's made worse because when I get her to do a one rein stop she tries to bite me on the leg! I don't know how to prevent her doing this because I need the one rein stop to stay safe but I also need my leg intact.
    She knows what a one rein stop is, and I get her to do it on the ground as well to reinforce it. The biting is her being annoyed with me for stopping her playing up under saddle I think.
    Any ideas?

2. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Would a pony grass muzzle be any good?
    I am sure that there are a lot of reasons not too but when I had a leg biter I used a dropped nose band and did it up so that my cow of a horse could not get her teeth into my leg.
    After that she used to bash her head against my leg instead. So I still ended up with bruises but not teeth marks.
    I really miss my old mare, she taught a lot

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Steel cap boots lol! Seek advice from the person who started your horse to saddle. **)

4. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

A green broke horse shouldn't be a handful!!!!

but since it is..... I assume your horse has been taught to disengage it's HQ properly since this is what will keep you safe. A horse can't buck bolt or rear if it is crossing it's hind feet.

Assuming it has been taught to do this correctly under saddle then when your horse goes to bite your foot turn your one rein stop into a disengage the HQ which is more work. Your horse will work out quickly that biting means more work.

However I would not rely on a one rein stop to stop your horse from misbehaving I would go back to basics and work out what was missed in the training process that is causing your horse to have this reaction and to misbehave in the first place. If you start over using the one rein stop, your horse will probably start to brace against it and get really narky if you are using it all the time.

5. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I agree with everything RVP says. I would suggest your horse could be trying to tell you something. Are you releasing as soon as you get the desired response from the horse? Are you using it to correct a problem that perhaps needs a different approach? The only reason I ask is because sometimes if we do something too much or over train it the horse gets the message that its response might not be correct so then begins to look for other options and tries different things which we then see as misbehaviour. If you are having to use the one rein stop a lot then as RVP says there might be a hole in your training which requires you to go back a few steps. It could be worth getting an instructor to be "eyes on the ground" for you.

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Horses can pig root with their back legs crossed if they really want to.

7. RVP Horses

Love to see that.

A horse disengaging isn't only a physical process that doesn't allow them any propulsion to buck, bolt or rear but it is also a mental process as they are aware that if they cross their back feet they are unable to do any of the above.

8. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Have you ever had and ridden a truely green broken horse before cos they are lots of hard work and challenging full stop. :confused:

9. RVP Horses

Caroline I guess that depends on how much preparation they've had and how they have been "broken". It also depends at what point you consider them a green "broke horse" versus a horse that is still being "broken". But with proper preparation they shouldn't be a "green broke horse" until they are light and responsive to basic go forward and basic left right steering and basic slow down and change gates. The first thing they get good at is lateral flexion and disengaging the HQ.

If the horse is a "handful" I would suggest they haven't had enough groundwork and haven't been taught to handle worry and aren't able to relax with the ridding process.

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Bite him back ;) ';'

As for extremely difficult green broke horse. I don't find green broke horses difficult to ride, I just find that they require a bit more guidance and education to be able to solve the questions asked of them with a minimum of fuss. It's like asking a kid in year 2 to complete a year 10 maths question and labelling them as difficult because they can't do it. Of course they're going to find it difficult, they haven't the education nor experience yet to solve the problems asked of them.

The question is.......... do you have the experience and knowledge necessary to provide the horse with the education needed to allow him to solve problems asked of him as a ridden horse?

11. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

I found this on another forum a long time ago and it helped me, thought it may help you too.

I solved this problem with ****** almost immediately.

When he'd reach around to nip my toes on the left...I'd take my right foot and tickle him under his front arm pit....it was the perfect "pattern interruption" and he'd instantly forget that he was wanting to bite my left foot. He use to put his ears back when he'd want to nip my toes. It started with an obsession for him to see if I was wearing spurs. He has dozen of spur scars along his ribs. It was obsessed with looking back to see what my shoes were about. He'd look, breath a sigh of relief and in a couple minutes, he'd have to look again. I guess he thought spurs magically grow on people's shoes.

Anyway, since I playfully tickle him under the opposite arm pit...he hasn't bitten my toes..or even thought about it. Be sure to be playful about it. I even said, "tickle, tickle"

12. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

I don't think there is an issue with the breaking in process, and I don't think it's because I don't know what to do with a green broken pony. She is a strong willed alpha mare who doesn't like being told what to do. She is not hot or spooky, but rather lazy. She will try all sorts of things to get out of being made to do any work. I haven't been asking her to do anything more challenging than walking around, changing direction, and the odd trot. She will go along nicely for a little bit until she decides she doesn't want to do this anymore, and start trying evasions. When I get worried she may try to buck or rear, I bend her nose around to me until she calms down (which she does).

Doesn't really matter anymore though because I will probably have to sell her. I've got no confidence anymore.

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

She sounds bored and looking for things to amuse herself with.

She will need a rider that will challenge her and win. This is a fairly easy problem to solve with a little hard work, and you are sensible to recognise that you are not up for the challenge with her.

I hope you are able to find a more suitable horse for yourself, and a more suitable home for your mare.