OMG the FEI has finally done something! Bans hyperflexion

Discussion in 'News Items' started by EPS, Nov 19, 2009.

1. EPS

EPS Active Member

The FEI has issued a bulletin concerning 'hyperflexion' and Welfare of the Horse. This is banned and riders doing this may be issued with a yellow card.

News

2. Mod 1

Mod 1 Moderator

About time....this has finally has been noticed to spare suffering in those poor high level dressage horses!

Mod 1:)

3. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Woohoo about time. Now lets see if they put their words into action!!!!

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

excellent :)

5. Kateee

Kateee Guest

WOOHOO! thank goodness for that!! :D

6. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

About time, here's hoping they follow up on this rule

7. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

What have they 'done' exactly? That press release says nothing that they haven't said before and you've just got to love the part about 'stewards using the disciplinary measures available to them'. Erm what disciplinary measures? A verbal warning (except if you're Anky/Sjef/some other 'drawcard' and you threaten to sue), a 'yellow card' (oh, except if you're Anky/Sjef/some other 'drawcard' and you threaten to sue). Please, they may as well just have written 'yes, we're aware of it, we don't like it but we're not prepared to actually DO anything about it'.

They've just trotted out the same old thing that they always do in the hope that the whole issue will just disappear, until the next time when they'll do the same thing again!

Me cynical??? You bet!!

8. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

They are just trying to make themselves loook good by saying they are doing something...I cant see a steward walking up to Anky in her warmup and issueing her a yellow card.....can you imagine Sjefs reaction to that*#)

9. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

Exactly!! That's what happened not so long ago and Sjef browbeat the Steward into backing down!! I don't see anything in this latest press release from the FEI that would change that.

10. Wonder if they would let me sign up as a steward over there? I wouldn't know Sjef if I tripped over him and I would take GREAT pleasure in 'disciplining' Anky for use of such cruelty!!

"Sue me? Go on luv, its the rules..."

I don't understand why these 'big names' are big names. If I was the FEI I would be booting them out quicksmart, embarrassed to have their names listed in association with any big event regardless of what they have won in the past. Cruelty is cruelty.

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

12. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

Well, its a start....but two warnings? and a 2 month ban?

For a start 2 warnings? The riders know the rules...why give them 2 warnings...or are dressage riders slow learners...mmm...don't think so...

2 months ban.....how about LIFETIME....this is cruelty we are talking about here....not wearing the wrong colour joddies...!

13. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

I complete support this...I just hope it is followed through. A friend just witnessed similar warm up practices by a top Australian rider at the Australian Dressage Champs a couple of weeks ago...sad to hear that it has also permeated our training culture.

For those of you that are interested in horse welfare, I subscibe to this brilliant online magazine... Horses for LIFE - Online Horse Magazine - Natural to Classical Dressage - Educated Horsemanship and can highly recommend it. The most recent articles are on rollkur and hyperflexion...

14. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Yes, I agree. The press release doesn't really convince me that the the FEI is taking rollkur/hyperflexion seriously. I mean, how are they going to enforce this? A ban is a ban, not just for the warm up ring, are they planning on doing unannounced inspections of the barns, or setting up commissions to investigate?

It may be a token step in the right direction to shush up the masses, but until a big name (Anky, horrible Patrick guy) are caught and punished for what they are overtly doing, no - one will take the FEI seriously on this one.

15. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

excuse my blondeness but what is hyperflexion? LOL

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

tucking the horses chin right in toward the chest so there is an over exaggerated curve to the neck. It looks pretty but the horse is not made to move like that and it causes damage to the horse according to a lot of well educated people.