Old riding schools

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by shortcruise, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Kyara whilst I was there the only black horse was Jack. He was a TB and quite long and lanky! Relatively nice natured but at the Swan View Show he reared up and my sister ate dirt!
    CWAC when Simon first arrived I loved him so much! But I loved how Paddy could jump the moon! I took him to his first show at the Swan View show and there was no way hozay he wanted to go in the ring!! I rode Sarah and Chester at our Primary Schools Interschools and my sister rode Fancy both years as they were a perfect match!! I will scan some of the old photos so we can all laugh at my fashion over the years :)

2. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Ok i am feeling a little old now but i was at metros from about 89-94
    there is still a few that i remember that you haven't listed so will give it a go : Mac, Freckles, Jason, Lil Tom, Rajah, ummmmmmm ummmmmmmm bugger - why can't i remember them all! LOL
    Will have to keep thinking on that one.
    Oh, and i rode Boots in the 1993 dressage ride at the gymkana - little sod that he was hahahahahaha

3. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

PMSL..
    See, i would have said he was 17hh ;)
    lmao *#)
    I'm glad he's still alive :))

4. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Oh yes forgot lil Freckles and Jason

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I started riding at Rosamel and also helped out at Aintree for a couple of years ;)

It has been a long time since I have been to a riding school though ROFL

6. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i have a classic photo of me jumping and an even better one of me and fancy night riding in my pjs. was devestated when i outgrew that pony then my sister leased her up until she passed away. but boy that pony could jump.
    yer simon loved him so much as well and my bessy boy (chester) only thing that i ever found he didnt like was camels haha that was fun. i think ive seen those pics of the interschools

7. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

The photos are all at my parents so I will have to dig them up. I also took Sarah out endurance and she kicked butt massively!! My first showjumping show with Diana ended up with her chucking me into the first jump, I was so embarrassed!
    I left in 2000 so before all the oldies started to pass away. Was sad hearing through the grapevine that another one had crossed the bridge.

8. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i may have met you before then at some point. i started riding after my 9th bday and in 2000 was leaseing fancy i believe.

yup most of the originals have passed away now umm cappa has a new home with a girl who leased him for many years shes sent me a couple of updates other than him gollywog, eddie and timmy oh cant forget abby. they were all there when i started. now only abby, eddie and golly are left there

9. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

That must have been him then. I started riding there when I was about 5 or 6years old, umm, 1997 or 1998.

10. Kim Savage

Kim Savage New Member

Kim Savage former timbertop member

Such great memories of Timbertop! The horses I remember are Ricky Blue, Janita, Jayne, Toff, Toorak, Bunny, Bimbo, Lisa, Lulu, Ebony, Happy, Bindi, Joe, Rusty, Ringo, Commet, Boy and old Mr Avery's horse Murcury. My first ride was Boy who did nothing but trot! FAST!!!, my first canter was on Joe, unforgettable! I also remember the resientials, what fun! and how we used to scare the crap out of each other with our ghost stories late at night.
    Would be great if a reunion could be organised at the old riding school venue.
    I was there every weekend from 1969 to 1975.

11. kyema

kyema New Member

Any one remember Syd Devine?
    he had an establishment behind the cemetery in Fremantle.
    Later moved out to Melville camp!!
    Riding school?
    Maybe not,cost 10 shillings to hire a horse for the afternoon.
    If you fell off then you just got back on again!!
    If nothing else you learned not to fall off.
    In those days 10 shillings was a fair amount of money but I kept on going there!

12. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Thought those of you who went to Broadacres would be happy to know that Shilo is still alive and healthy at 27 years old! :) She goes out for a trail ride with her owner Alison every morning and is the grand old lady of the property. Alison has owned Shilo for around 18 years.
    [​IMG]

13. kyema

kyema New Member

Terrylyn El Ringo

A well performed pony who was very much loved by his owner.
    He lost his eye as the result of a childish prank, the lass riding him stuck a stick into the pony in front of him.
    That pony was not impressed, lashed out and the result was Ringo lost his eye.
    He was sold on when the child became too big for him.
    I knew the owners well and it was a costly exercise to get him on the road to recovery.
    Even with one eye he continued to perform well, I think he still competed at Royal level after the accident.
    I often wondered where he ended up.
    Now I know thank you.

14. Kim Savage

Kim Savage New Member

Pardoe

Hi Jezz,
    Yep I remember him! His hunt club was a bit of a joke, he put on a drag hunt in York once, I remember all these people with their horses rocking up, all trying to out pompous each other. When the hunting horn sounded, people, horses and bikes went in all directions only to find themselves lost 500 metres up the track! It was hilarious!
    All the best Kim :)

15. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

Gigi - was the toffee apple horse a chestnut by any chance? I knew one who would have been alive back then :)
    i started at good old rainbow when they first opened up, stayed at avonlea for quite a while and i probably learned the most from there, foxwood was good too, rode a sweet chestnut called pickles

16. Kim Savage

Kim Savage New Member

Divine

Hi Kyema,
    I knew a Divine's horse hire that was on Wellard Rd opposite Timbertop Riding school in Kwinana, I'm quite certain he's the same one you're talking about.

17. kyema

kyema New Member

I think that one was Norm Devine , Syd's son.
    I remember seeing him as a little tacker breaking in ponies at the melville Camp site.

18. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

worked at both springfield riding school in bassendean and twin pines in beechboro as a young fella. john orcsik the actor along with his brother Peter ran twin pines - now they were the days.:D

cheers

19. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Did anyone here ride at Dollar Downs with Jo just off Liddlow Rd? The ponies I remember were Dollar, Jaffa and Squeaky. So many fond memories of there, not a big riding school but a good one. We learned about horse management and not just how to ride!

20. Kim Savage

Kim Savage New Member

Hi Kyema,
    Do you know if there are any descendants of Ringo's bloodline? I loved that little pony when I was at Timbertop and it would be lovely to think that if there was someone still breeding his line that I could go full circle and find a little fella like him for my grand daughters. :)