OK what are your thoughts

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by GeeJay, Feb 26, 2008.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

I would like an honest opinion on what you thing is the breeding of this horse.

Also your thoughts on conformation it stand's 15 hands. the photo is 4 months old and it is standing in a hole at the hitching rail.
    [​IMG]

Janet:)
    PS I don't get upset with an honest answer

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  2. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

I hope I don't upset anyone with this :confused:

Is it a Standardbred? Looks a bit stocky, but not stocky enough to be a QH.

Conformationally, he has a long back that looks slightly swayed. Also a bit straight hocked. Those were the main things I noticed sorry.

3. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I notice that he has slight feathers and very long in the body, of solid build, i would say (and i am no expert) some clydesdale or heavy breed in there somewhere, not sure what its crossed with.

4. samm

samm Gold Member

I'd say Waler.

5. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

Maybe like a 1/4 clydie mix?
    Looks fairly nice to me, but I'm shocking at judging conformation...shoulder looks a bit funny but prob just me (;

6. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

I have asked for honesty LOL and like I said I won't get upset it is better to say what you think than say something just to keep a person happy**)

Janet:)

7. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

So....what is it? I'm curious now :)

8. pso

pso Gold Member

welsh x TB?:confused:

9. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Well I am cheeting as I am sure that he is your Waler that you posted a picture of before, but I would say he is stock horse/draught horse mix.

Not a great deal wrong with him to be honest, looks like a good solid horse, I would like to see more shape to his neck, but that could be made to look worse than it is because of how he is standing.

I would be happy to have him for a casual hack.

10. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

A friend has a warmblood mare and he may even have some warmblood in him, very similar in body shape and size (except she is fatter lol) SHE GETS PUT IN THE JENNY CRAIG PADDOCK A BIT SHE JUST HAS TO LOOK AT FOOD ;) :)

11. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

I think he's really nice and possibly a Welsh x T/B as someone else said?

I think standing in the hole makes him look straight through the hock but I reakon if he's stood up properly, conformation wise he's pretty spot on.

12. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Hard to judge the horse because she isn't standing on level ground!

Long backed = mare

I think I know where this mare came from...she was once a wild horse so yeppers, probably some of Waler type mixed breed! These horses are very hardy and sturdy that can be adapt into rough country life with minimum of feed! I had one...**)

13. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

OK another photo LOL
    [​IMG]

Janet:D

14. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

looks like a waler/stock horse type to me

15. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

Id say waler/stockhorse type also.

Possibly a bit of Morgan in there somewhere?

16. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

My first thought was CB or WB x with a lighter breed, TB or STB or similar, he has large feet, and high neck carriage similar to what I have seen in CB's and some WB types (Oldenberg/Holstein) usually these have TB influence anyway - but almost any horse can look like a TB cross LOL
    His height makes me think pony (cob type) x as some have suggested but if not knowing his height I wouldnt think this at all.

Conformationally I think he isnt too bad, strong shoulders, good length of rein, strong legs by the look (built solid), perhaps not in proportion with his length. not sure if its the picture (standing in a hole) but he looks weak behind in comparison with his front end.

I get the feeling this is going to go back to the brumby debate *#)

17. Petite Pastures

Petite Pastures Well-known Member

Id say it is a bay horse :)

18. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Ok 2nd photo he doesnt look quite as heavily built!! I still think he has some draught influence of some kind tho...

19. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

I reckon he/she is sexy!!! :) looks strong and spunky and like a horse that could put in a good days work :D

20. Moondust

Moondust Well-known Member

I think it has a kind calm quarter horse face. so i would say qh cross with something else, possibly tb. but something along the 'slim' lines as its not as chunky as a qh.