Oils, Vitimins, Suppliments etc

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Indigo King, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Just starting to look around for some good suppliments, oils or vitimins for the mature horse that is going to help out a lot more in the years to come.

I have a 16 year old TB gelding and I would really like to start feeding him some suppliments to keep him looking young, and to help with joints, muscles EVERYTHING and to keep him as healthy as possible so that he is looking and feeling his best for his older age and when he goes into retirement!

Not looking to feed THOUSANDS of suppliments each night just 1-2 that will generally cover majority of it.

2. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I think 'additives' can help however, from a dietary perspective, the most important thing is feeding the correct quantity of a balance diet suited to their work-load, breed and age.

Anyhoo, that aside, my boy is a 17 year old TB and his supplements/additives are:

Biotin (crappy feet and this has helped over the years)
    Advantage Vitamin & Mineral Supplement
    A yellow scoop of salt once a day
    Glucosamine
    And Pentosan shots as/when required.

He is looking and feeling jolly good! :D

3. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Thanks JJ, what do you feed your boy diet wise, quantities etc, and what is his work load?

4. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Well, when I first got Rev-head (he was aptly named lol) he was, IMO, quite hot and 'lookie/spookie', so his feeds were quite 'light-on'. Not knowing a lot I went with the theory of 'feed less, low (supposed) heating feeds' and it will modify behavior... ummm I can assure you it didn't! :lol:

One day a few years ago I came across a post by Bunnies that completely changed how I fed Rev:

So, I actually sat down and worked out what my boy should be fed based on that information and basically from that day things looked up. To me, it has always seemed that his behavoiur settled down because he wasn't hungry, was satisfied and had the energy to do the work I asked of him.

Rev = 500kg.
    2% feed body weight = 10kg
    75% roughage = 7.5kg
    25% concentrates = 2.5kg

I used to feed a bit more Lucerne when he was in more work but now he is currently being fed the following and is in very light work:

AM
    2 x Scoop Oaten Chaff (800g)
    2 cup Lupins (340g)
    4 cup Gumnuts (580g)
    1 cup Copra (155g)

PM
    3 x Scoop Oaten Chaff (1.2kg)
    1/2 x Scoop Lucerne Chaff (200g)
    3 cup Lupins (510g)
    4 cup Gumnuts (580g )
    1 cup Copra (155g)
    Big Handful of Sliced Carrots

+ Bag Supplements to PM Feed only :
    2 yellow scoop Biotin
    2 yellow scoop Minerals
    1 yellow scoop Glucosamine
    1 yellow scoop Electrolytes (salt)

Plus
    Free access to Oaten Hay (he eats approx 3-4kg per day + pasture)

* 1 metric cup Gumnuts = 140g, 1 cup Lupins = 170g, 1 cup Copra = 155g, 1 x lge blue scoop chaff = 400g

:))
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

5. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Thanks so much JJ, that will be of great use! I think I will sit down over the weekend and sort out a proper diet!

6. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Good basic feeding with lots of quality hay, Cell-Vital and Pentosan. Regular teeth checks also. :)*

7. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

What is Pentosan?

8. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Injectable arthritis preventative/treatment. Ask your vet. Far easier and more effective than glucosamine, MSM, or other dietary supps. **)

9. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Thanks, will do!

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

My older mare who's in work and has been diagnosed with hock and spinal arthritis gets regular Pentosan shots and a hyaluronic supplement to combat her arthiritis.
    She also gets a daily vitamin/mineral supplement (Advanced Advantage) and some Performa 3 oil for coat, energy and a good balance of Omega 3, 6 and 9.

Some info on Pentosan for you .... Pentosan Equine Injection

11. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

All my horses (Yearling, 5yo, 11yo, 16yo) get Anitone in their feed at the recommended rate.

Have noticed a huge difference on that alone with my 16yo, he's got more 'get up and go' and enjoys having a hoon now and again :)

Also means I have to wear sunnies when feeding as they are SO shiny, ahaha.

12. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

my 17yo stb gets pentosan shots, plus MSM, Celery seed & apple cider vinegar in his feed to help keep him lubed up.

plus i feed Equimin as an all round vit supplement