Oats - whole or rolled?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Faxie, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Thoughts? Do you need to soak rolled? What are they like for weight gain, if at all?

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I've only ever used whole oats and never had a problem. It's what I fed Kenoath when I got him down to mum and dads to put the condition on him (along with good quality lucerne hay and improved pasture). Cheap (I think, dunno, never had to actually buy a bag of oats in my life), easy and effective.

From what I've heard there's not much nutritional advantage between whole oats and modified oats (micronized, crushed, rolled etc).

Having said that....... don't go for crushed oats purely from a feeding out perspective, far out that stuff made me itchy :blink:

3. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Thanks GR. I remember seeing pix of your boy.. Yeah I'm leaning more towards whole oats. How much quantity (in weight) were you feeding for weight gain?

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

He was getting a 2litre ice cream container a day along with some Kohnkes vit/min mix, can't remember which one but it was pelleted form. I bought a bag of Nutri-Rice and later on a few bags of Compleat something or other but just kept coming back to the oats, mum had 5 drums of them when I got there with Kenoath so they were in good supply. Did the trick.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

I feed whole oats direct from the farmer.

For weight gain my TB mare gets about 1kg a day with lucern chaff and vit/min and she looks smicko. I've used rolled/crushed/whatever in the past and to be honest I've never noticed a difference.