Nutmeg to Enhance Coat Colour?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Keiko, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Keiko

Keiko New Member

I've heard that nutmeg is supposed to help enhance and darken a horse's coat, especially for the lighter/creamier colours like buckskins, pali's etc
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it, and is it safe?
    I think you are supposed to give 1tps - 1tbls a day

2. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

I have never heard of feeding nutmeg before so cannot help with that.

I do not believe that feeding 'coat enhancers' can enhance a palomino's coat more than one (possibly two if you are very lucky) shades. If your palomino, or any dilute colour, genetically has a pale coat it will stay pale regardless of what you feed.

3. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

I use paprika, but i'm sure nutmeg would do the same job. What your really looking for is the carotene (i think) that makes it have its colour. Carrots, pumkin, pumkin seeds, paprika, lucerne etc, all darken coat colours, but like Dayna said, only by a shade or so. So if your sping coat on your horse is naturally quite light, feeding any of those things won't instantly turn them into a golden/dark colour.
    unfortunately#(
    :D
    Hope that helps!

4. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

I would want to know that it definitely works!
    With the price of nutmeg it could be an expensive exercise if you are feeding 1 tablespoon a day.... :eek:

5. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Thanks guys! I've also heard paprika works, I'm thinking about giving that a try. How did that go for you keridwyn?

I will be happy if I could get him just one shade darker, my pali is so pale that sometimes he gets referred to as white which offends me greatly*#)
    There's some pretty impressive before and after shots on the American forums with horses fed paprika or nutmeg. But I guess it could be due to a variety of things (stabled with lights, winter coat vs summer coat etc). I might have to experiment myself with paprika and/or nutmeg and take some before & afters :)

6. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Paprika shows up in a particualr drug test, so beware if you do big shows!!

7. keridwyn

Paprika for the win!

I've been feeding my palli paprika for about a year or so, and i've noticed a big improvement on her summer coat this year. I've been refining what i feed her a bit, and i think i've got it down now.
    She gets about a tablespoon of paprika, 3 or 4 carrots and a "scoop" of lucerne twice a day (plus 2 scoops of chaff) and whatever greenery is in the paddock.

The price of paprika is not too bad but its certainly not cheap, so i buy it in bulk from cash n carry. but the stuff in 500g or so jars from coles it fairly cheap too. And the carrots i feed her are just juicing ones so its $10 for a 20kg bag.

While she's still got her winter coat on her belly i'll post a photo of her on here for you to see the change in her coats. (when i get home that is :p)

As for what Lexie said about the paprika showing up in some tests, (and this is according to the internet) the amount of whatever the drug is in paprika is so small that you would have to be feeding your horse something like 500g per week for it to show up. which is significantly less than 14 tablespoons. But as with any info you find on the net, that has to be taken with a pinch of salt. And i don't compete, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest!!**)

But as i said before, anything that is naturally "orangey" will do the trick if you can get your horse to eat it. Mine didn't want to know about pumpkin, but loves sausages, gravy, coffee, anzac biccies, tea, chamomile tea, ANYTHING with flour in it, and all sorts of other things that she's not supposed to get into!!

8. keridwyn

9. keridwyn

Photos!!

[​IMG]
    taken at the beginning of this winter

[​IMG]
    close up of her shoulder about a week ago

[​IMG]
    close up of her flanks - I wish she was that deep a colour all over!

[​IMG]
    Showing her winter-white belly and her summer-"gold" shoulders and bum!
    Apologies if they're too huge for people to see. i forgot to change my camera off the 10MP setting!!

10. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Thanks for the info keridwyn it was a good read :} Isn't your girl just gorgeous! She looks similar to my boy:

[​IMG]

You can see he is quite light but he is still shedding out some of his winter coat.

With your girl, you can really see that lovely golden colour coming through on her shoulders and a nice shine too. I would like some of that too please!:)*
    How much lighter was her summer coat when she wasn't fed the paprika?

Thanks for the heads up Lexie, but like Keridwyn I don't show so it doesn't worry me

11. keridwyn

When i first got my girl over from tassie, she was white. you could barely see the blaze on her head she was that pale. #(
    Her first summer (about a month after i got her) coat was fairly ok, not too dissimilar from your boy (not golden, but enough to see that she was a dilute, my bestie thought she was a cremello and i was starting to agree with her), but after a month of sunbleaching she was back to a dirty white. #(
    The second summer i had just started feeding her the paprika and it darkened her up a shade. It came out all splotchy looking, like a dapple-greys kind of pattern, but yet again it didn't stay long, about a week was all it took for the colour to bleach out again. :mad: i was getting a mite frustrated by this point and went searching on the web for some super-dooper-turn-your-horse-into-a-nugget-of-gold foods. :D
    This year, I've been feeding her paprika and carrots all through the winter and she's come out georgous looking! **) still not the golden palli of my dreams (have a look at horseslave's!!), but she's doing pretty good considering she's not clipped.**)

When i get home from work i'll do some digging and see if i can find some of the photo's of her when i first got her. where to start looking ....

i have to say though, your boy is a spitting image of her!! There's another stocky on here somewhere who has a palli that looks like my pony too.:)*

12. Keiko

Keiko New Member

hehe, that sounds like me! But I agree, unfortunately our horses are never going to be a rich golden colour (I just saw the photo of horseslave's - jealous!!). But you definitely have made a change, seems like you have darkened her up 2-3 shades ! To go from light with a hint of colour to a lovely golden shade, that's great!:))
    I've just started my boy on the paprika, so I'll let you know how it goes. But too bad I didn't start in winter as I think it should work but it sounds like it will take some time to build up.
    I would love to see another photo of your girl once all her winter coat is out, she will be looking stunning!:)*

13. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

livamol ??
    I have before and after pictures, in two months.
    The day she was clipped
    [​IMG]

and a month or more later:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But she still has while to go, before that clipped chestnut look is gone!

14. keridwyn

keiko have a look at nae nae's, that one looks EXACTLY like my girl!!

Lexie, i have to say, your girl looks great!! But i have read somewhere on the depths of the net that livamol gives pallis and bucky's a smutty look...:confused: dunno if thats true or not though.
    I looked at using livamol, but in the end it was too expensive for me to get it because i live in the stix.

The photo's of her completely fur-less, might have to wait a while. The weather here has gone sh**house so, she's started to put a winter coat back on again!!#(
    *sigh* just have to wait another month or so...

15. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Lexie, your girl looks great! The livamol has made a difference for sure, she has gotten darker & more shiny :D I like her splash of white on her belly, very cute:p

Unfortunately I have tried livamol and it didn't seem to make much of a noticeable difference, and not enough to justify the cost. He didn't smut though, so he mustn't be prone to it which is good.

Keridwyn I know how you feel:( My boy starting dropping his winter coat and about half of the fluff had gone, but it seems like it has grown back since! Now I have to wait all over again#(

16. Keiko

Keiko New Member

I can't find a pic of nae nae's horse but I do want to see! :p
    Where can I find a pic?

17. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Thankyou, yes Coda is blotchy, but am not sure whether thats due to the livamol or the clip.

18. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Thanks Keiko!
    Hm maybe try Copra? its not meant to darken but it makes em shiny! and is good to put on weight (what coda has been on for a while)
    And black oil sunnies, thats meant to be great for darkening coat!!

19. keridwyn

Use the google search bar just under the main stockies menu bars and type in nae nae. the first result should be her profile page. it'll be on the right hand side of that.:)*
    Its not a very big pic unfortunately

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  20. Keiko

Keiko New Member

Thanks Keridwyn, I had a peek at her horse very cute and so similar to our two!
    And thanks Lexie I might add the sunnies too with the paprika and hopefully I will get some results!:)*