Not impressed by horse insurer

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Oldhack77, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Dudley has been insured with a "well known" insurer since I purchased him in November

I sent through a Direct Debit request when all docementation was lodged and heard no more

Silly me??? Maybe? I hadnt checked my account to ensure the amount was debited

I just got a letter today saying my policy was cancelled for non payment

I have just finished writing them a letter advising I was not happy to find out that my hack has not been insured - it has taken them 8 WHOLE MONTHS to advise me of this :mad: :mad:

Surely had they not debited my account as per the form (I still have my copies as I learnt the hard way you MUST KEEP ALL COPIES) they could have called or sent me correspondance saying they havent received payment

Not happy anyhow

Well this is why I stick with my broker -she can now place my new policy with different insurer Brooks Inglis

2. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Eek, not good. :S

Can you PM me the name of this Insurer?? I am getting my new boy insured and had a similar thing happen when I insured my mare. Just want to make sure its not the same company. :)

3. Sherri69

Sherri69 Well-known Member

Brooks are good Nic you will be better off with them:)

4. Debs

Debs Active Member

I can guess the insurer #( Nik as the very same thing happened to me. Not happy. The girl couldn't understand why I was upset, kept telling me I should of paid the bill. How can you when it's a direct debit!!!!!!!!!!!! They then blamed it on a computer problem, but I still had to do another health check which are not cheap.

5. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Email just received - whilst thanks for their apology, I'm sure I would still be $$$$$'s out of pocket had anything happened to my beautiful boy - please note that I received every other bit of paperwork from them - It bugs me this is always the excuse at big companies - the person handling it left - do you know how many times I have heard that with finance companies, financial institutes (banks) and insurance co's #(

"Said Insurer" does contact you when your policy is overdue. An overdue notice would have been sent to you by mail. Obviously you did not receive this notice. I have had a look at your file and have found that you did provide us with banking details which were not passed over. Unfortunately the person who processed your policy walked out of her job around the date that it was processed which has resulted in this error. If you are happy to make the payment of $***.** I can reinstate your policy for you. Otherwise we can re-start your policy as of today but you would incur the waiting period of 21 days for illness again. Please let me know what you would like me to do and I would be happy to help.

I apologise for the error that has caused your policy to be cancelled and hope to hear from you soon.

6. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Hey Nic, can you PM me the company, I have 3 of my animals insured and want to make sure its not the same company I am with :S

7. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

It is with PP, other wise yes, i too have had the same problem and around the same dates too :( They also change the amounts and days debited aswell.. I will be changing soon.

8. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Oh bugger, I will be keeping an eye on it then, I have my horse, dog and cat with them.

9. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Well, just had more dramas after I decided I was going to give them another chance and have my new boy insured with them!!!

If they stuff up this one...

Will certainly not be renewing it again with them in the future...

10. scotchmel

scotchmel New Member

I had my mare insured with them, she died last year, which they paid out. I recently received an invoice and cancelation of the policy due to non payment! Very poor administration, and i have sinced moved my other horses to another insurer. :mad:

11. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Someone else told me exactly the same thing today - their horse was PTS and this insurer paid out yet still sent out later a renewal policy.....

bit off... especially when losing the horse can be that emotional anyway :(

I had only heard good about them hence my insuring with them, and their premium was extremely good. But what is the good a cheap premium when it is not put in place. I definitely agree there appears to be a problem with communication and admin.

Brooks Inglis have been great to deal with - substantially more in price but for now I am just happy to know he is insured properly

12. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

I have only just seen this thread. Thats no good OH! how scary to think at all those shows he was not insured! I think the move to the new insurer is good.

I am with PP and when I moved agistments they didn't care, only if they move states.... that worried me a bit, but becasue i am slack i havne't changed insureres.

I think i will now though.

13. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I am with AON & have found them very helpful. Paperwork is good, service promt. I have never had to make a claim, so cannot tell how they would go in that department, but I am happy with all dealings I have had with them :)

14. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

I can only recommend 2 insurers for realistic top quality decent policies and communication skills - Brooks Inglis Insurance and Wallace Livestock, I have dealt with a few, and now will only use the above.

I guess you get what you pay for, a cheap plan = a cheap product more times than not unfortunately.

You should be happy with BI though, I have found them quite flexible. Not nice to be left in the cold with no insurance for the beloveds!