Not finishing feed

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Andhi, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Twice now Jazz has not finished her daily feed.
    I halved her feed this evening, and she ate for about 5-10 mins and then walked off to graze.

She is on about 5-7 acres of excellent grazing so I am thinking that is getting everythign she needs from the grazing.

Opinions?

2. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Ralph does this, very annoying as he's still growing and needs all his feed but won't eat it! In his case he just wants to be with the horse next door. He'll eat al his hard feed but the most hay he'll eat a day is 2 biscuits. I cut back on the chaff so it wasn't filling him up as much and plan to ( when I have the time! ) start excercising him more so he has a bigger appetite

3. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I have stopped giving Jazz hay as she would just ignore it, and then step all in it - so it wasn't getting eaten at all.

I've cut her feed dwon and will see how she goes over the next few days - especially as I will be starting to ride her some more.

4. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Ive got the opposite problem :(

5. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Awww Chickie needing more?

Jazz ate all her food last night, but that was on halved portions, which I gave to her again tonite. Lets see if she gobbles it all down again.

6. scullywag

scullywag New Member

Have you tried dampening it with ACV and Molassas? I find this works for my boy. 100ml ACV and a dolop of molassas mixed with bout 1 ltr water and mix it in with the feed, now he is licking his bowl clean.

7. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

Not at all, she is on a HANDFULL of studmaster, scoop of chaff and her minerals, and good grazing and she is TOO FAT!! But I dont want to cut her feed down, worried she will lose condition and i wont be able to get it back on her :S

She eats everything in sight...

8. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Haha, Hoolie is like that too, constantly looking for food, got told today he had a whole bale of hay in his paddock, and gets hard feed brekky and dinner, yet still called out for more, little bit of a piggy!

Andhi have you thought about putting "clean up" in her feed, 99% sure thats what its called (not sure, don't need it!), can buy it from horseland etc.

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

If your mare is looking good condition wise & has enough tucker that she's not losing weight, if she still has the energy levels... be thankful!

Access her condition on a weekly/fortnighly basis.... if she's getting full, dont give her a supplement to keep eating.
    She'll tell you if she's hungary & if she's wasting her yummy hay... she cant be starving, lol. **)

10. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Yup she gets both :D
    I think she is just full tbh.

11. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

LOL she definately isn't loosing condition - she has put on so much weight (in comparison to what she was when I first got her) that we actually had a pregnancy scare - she has been kept on a property with an Andulusian stallion with her former owner - but nope, had her scanned she is just chubby like her mum.

She has heaps of energy levels, i lunged her today, i just wanted her to trot a bit to get her to move and she just hooned for ages - took me ages to cool her down.

Lol starving no; will have to post pictures of her grazing.

12. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

In my experience, horses wont eat only when they are really sick, over worked, hot/stressed or getting too much feed!!