no confidence anymore

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by smash, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

This is exactly what happened to me today :( so sad ...I asked why? and now am too afraid to ask anymore questions as I am tired of being shot down............what does it take to go from novice owner to experienced????

Why do alot of horse people have only "ONE" opinion and thought? Things change all the time and can be for the better. Just because it was always done one way does that make it the only way? Hope this makes sense....it just gets all too hard sometimes :confused:

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

oh jodles
    i believe if you are shot down for asking "why" it is because they have no idea themselves. so instead of them feeling silly, they will make you feel silly instead.
    it is very difficult to "see" if things are progressing when you are on there backs, but i recon the fairest and best instructor will allways be "yourself".
    get a friend to video you "training" and then go home and watch it, you will see things that are not working the best and you will see excersised that ARE WORKING.
    rewatch it at least 5 times, and you will be amazed at how YOU will pick up on things and come up with new and exciting ways to fix it or enhance it.
    but if you video your self at least 5 times straight, then watch the first ride and the 5th ride, you will be pretty pleased with your own instructions.
    give it a try mate, and good luck
    cheers

3. PPH

PPH Guest

i know my confidence took a severe hiding when first got my colt and we had "leadership and respect" issues.

I have now learned so much from him and am a better horse person for it but I find I still have a little bit of reserve in me, I'm much more careful and aware of the horse.

4. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Agree with Smash about video evidence - it really speaks to you!! I discovered so many misdemeanors of equitation when someone took footage at a camp. Trouble is haven't kept it up - need a third party to come to lessons. Would be great to have before and after sequences to study.

Re fishing....scary!!! Is it safe to go back in the water???

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

yeah BM, horses really do teach us a lot, glad you are having fun.
    trojane, videoing is a really good way, to "see" things for yourself. you can have 10 lessons straight with an instuctor going, put your hands down, put your hands down in EVER lesson, then when you video your self, you say, "damn my hands are up, will fix that next ride" LOL
    it is because when you are being told to put your hands down, your mind tells you they already are. but when you "see" it yourself, your mind will register that they were not down at all, so then your mind will allow you to fix the problem.

yeah the water is fine trojane, i sat my marshmellow butt down and squashed them he he he

6. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Thanks Smash and TaylorC . On a positive we had a fantastic lesson today and are both going well (this week lol):)

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

thats great then jodles
    have fun mate
    cheers

8. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

Don't mind the occasional meal of fish and chips... ;)

Prefer Tim Tams though :D

Thanks for keeping it on track guys **)

9. saltriver

saltriver Guest

I think these quotes and poem are apt for this thread :)*

"A horse is reflection of its rider"

[COLOR="Blue"]"The quality of your life is based on the quality of the questions you ask"[/COLOR]

The Guy in the Glass
    by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
    And the world makes you King for a day,
    Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
    And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
    Who judgement upon you must pass.
    The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
    For he's with you clear up to the end,
    And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
    If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
    And think you're a wonderful guy,
    But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
    If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
    And get pats on the back as you pass,
    But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
    If you've cheated the guy in the glass.
    :D

10. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I can hear you, loud and clear lol. :)*

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

well said saltriver

12. Chaffcutter

Chaffcutter New Member

yup, gotta do a good job to fool your self!! lol

13. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

That was a great saltriver ......

You know the saying though ....." what goes around comes around" Which I believe in & have seen many times.

Although I have met people that lie so well they believe their own lies LOL ...... I wonder if when they look in the mirror the real truth finds its way out.

Its a great poem & the quotes a great as well :)

14. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

That is a strange thing to say about riding confidence KC?? So does that mean that you believe that if you fall off and hurt yourself and have no confidence that you got what you deserved?? That is a very odd way of looking at it???

15. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

No RR, but then you know that but obviously got out of the wrong side of bed this morning & just feel like being pedantic again.

I do not have the time or inclination to deal with the likes of you

16. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

If that post had nothing to do with the topic and it was a personal vent of yours then "who" got out of the wrong side of bed this morning?? Me or you??

I hope whatever is bugging you gets out of yours system and you can have some peace in your heart.

17. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

Two people whose views I respect having words - as small as they are - makes me darned uncomfortable.

Mods aren't supposed to like people ;) ...please don't make me step in here.

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

tip toe, tip toe, tip toe
    *gently removes fishing rods off you and replaces them with tim tams*
    slowly tip toes away
    *phhheewww, a mad mod armed is dangerous*
    thanks for getting that rod off mod3
    *scurries away before mod3 comes in here*

19. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

Best be quick then Smash...she runs fast!

Even I'm scared of Mod 3 when she's annoyed :D

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

he he he,
    *passing you a whole packet of tim tams*
    give the whole lot to mod3, and skip the coffee, i think she needs alcohol intead lol
    she scares the bejeebas out of me when she is mad