Nitro's journey

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by sil, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sil

sil Gold Member

Nitro's journey - ETA Tues 27th at 6am!

Well Nitro is about to start his export to home so I thought I'd put up a thread to keep it neat and updated :)

The transport company is scheduled to pick him up today from the trainer in Texas, and he will be taken across to the quarantine farm in California in what is called a box stall - which is basically a small stable sized stall on the truck. He will not be tied and can turn around and lie down (there is bedding in the stall).

When we shipped him from his boarding place to the trainer he knocked his hind foot and went lame, so we are spending the extra for a careful driver and room to move to try to avoid any injury.

He has vet health papers travelling with him. All his vaccination paperwork from the vet has been sent to the export company IRT for quarantine to check.

He will arrive at the quarantine farm on the 24th and quarantine starts on the 29th!

Excited! :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

How wonderfully exciting!!!

How long before he gets here??

could it be a terrific christmas?

3. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Thats fantastic Sil, You must be getting so excited.

4. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

Aww how exciting! When does he arrive?

5. sil

sil Gold Member

if all goes well he will arrive just in time for christmas :)

6. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Exciting stuff Sil!

How long does he go into quarentine for?
    And then how long is the flight? Is it a direct flight or does it have several 'legs'?

7. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

Thanks for sharing with this thread Sil.
    I imported a horse years ago (diff countries involved though, but like yours, took years of planning) and am so glad I wrote it all down at the time.
    Good luck and hope all goes well for him! :))
    Look forward to updates **)

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

How exciting Sil! :)*

It must cost you a FORTUNE all this training and the exporting costs, what have you done, robbed a bank? *#)

9. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Yay what a Christmas present if he gets here prior!!
    You must feel so relieved he is on his way

10. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Oh I wonder if he''s on the same flight as a friends horse! He gets here just in time for christmas too!! :)*

I hope Nitro has an easy journey. **)
    Cheers

Danni

11. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Ooooh exciting stuff:D IRT are great, he will be in good hands:)

12. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

How exciting.
    Man I know how many sleepless nights I had with Tally coming from Victoria, I can't imagine how excited and stressed and worried you are.
    Will be praying that Nitro has a safe journey.

13. sil

sil Gold Member

He will be in quarantine for 3 weeks, then if all is okay he will fly direct to Sydney and have another 3 weeks quarantine.

Kiras: We've been saving for a long time and I gave up heaps for this opportunity, just goes to show if you want something enough you can move heaven and earth to achieve it :)

I started researching 7 years ago and we were looking for 2 years before picking this guy out; we bought him as a yearling and he will be 3 1/2 when he lands!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  14. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Oh it might be the same flight! I'm pretty sure they are IRT too!! He gets out of Q in Sydney on the 20th Dec I think she said!!

I think it's awesome, Sil, you putting in the research to get your dream horse and making it happen!!

I can just imagine how awesome it will be the day Nitro finally arrives home!!
    Cheers

Danni

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  15. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

YAY good luck and i hope all goes well.

16. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

I love your story..... will def be watching and waiting to hear...... you have waited so long for this boy

17. sil

sil Gold Member

We were extremely lucky to have the planets align to have to opportunity to buy this boy; at the time he was 3 months I saw him for sale and mum loved him but we had to pass as he was way out of our budget; his 3/4 brother had just won the world championship in fine harness and his half sister had won the pinto world champion supreme of supremes under saddle.

There was a lot of demand from the arabian breeders for pinto half saddlebreds and while you could find colts everywhere none of them had nice breeding or type and I wanted new lines for Australia for purebreds.

Then I got an email; Nitro had had a freak accident and injured his pastern - a show career was now out of the question. Were we interested? I flew out to see him in Texas and signed the papers that evening.

The thing that really sold me was that Nitro was box rested for a couple of months while his leg healed, and despite the needles, bandages, vet visits etc was always happy to see his people and never got aggro. You can't make a good attitude like that, and for a stud colt it was what I really wanted.

That fact he tested homozygous for black, homozygous for pinto and was going to hit 17hh like his dad were just icing on the cake :)

18. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i love hearing about nitro.

with his injury has it healed up well??? scars etc? does it affect him in anyway?

19. sil

sil Gold Member

The injury was to his deep digital flexor tendon on his hind pastern and it was completely severed when he snuck loose and slipped on the edge of the concrete driveway at his breeder's farm. This tendon is responsible for flexing the hoof.

He can walk, trot, canter and gallop but we don't know if he will be sound enough to withstand much ridden work. During box rest he gained severely contracted tendons in front which are almost 100% but he will always be a bit upright in front and he has a small scar on his pastern from where his injury healed.

20. sil

sil Gold Member

Nitro's arrived at the quarantine station! yippee!

*happy dance*

:) :) :)