Nightmare to shoe...

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Teal, Jun 24, 2011.

1. smash

smash Well-known Member

Well said Eoroe,
    but i think you will find an UNDERLYING problem with the horse that has not been detected.
    Horses DO NOT react like this for no reason.
    the reason could be in its feet or could be the way it has been handled or trained.
    to get a TRUE understanding of what is going on, video how this horse reacts to a farrier and this will help us work out what is actually going on in OUR OPINION and to better give advice and support.
    cheers

2. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

I have made a decision...I made it weeks ago, a few days after beginning this thread. I don't know why it is still going when I've said a few times I have decided to remove her shoes and look further into leg restraint training in the future.

I am not getting into an argument over twitching or not, I have had/seen/worked with many horses who have been twitched in the past and it always has the desired effect, and I believe absolutely has it's place when done properly. It's not a punishment. If you feel differently, fine, but I wasn't asking that. Perhaps for this horse it has not had a real long term result as I have seen with others, every horse is different, but it is definitely not a case of punish first and train second.

I did take note of the advice you gave, however this bread has been going far too long for me to remember who suggested what. My apologies.

3. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

When training a horse you always start with something that is not "actually doing it"...for instance to train a horse to float load the first thing to do is train the horse to lead, this is not floating but if you don't train to lead then you are not going to have a good experience trying to float.

To be shod a horse firstly has to tie up, it has to stand quietly, it has to accept having its legs picked up and being held for a periods of time, it has to accept holding its hoof on a hoof stand...then it has to accept tapping on its hoof, then it has to accept steel on the hoof being tapped, then it has to accept loud banging of the shoe on the anvil and then it has to accept being nailed up and then hoof dressed....you cannot go onto the next stage until the horse accepts the stage before.

This is the way my horses are trained to accept being shod, at the same time, disrespect, impatient or any other negative behaviour is not accepted....same as it is not accepted in any other activity the horse is expected to do.

Maybe start with tying up eg. can your horse tie up for long periods of time and patiently stand there?, then will the horse accept you picking the legs up and being held for a good period of time...then start tapping the hoof with a bit of wood etc etc...

Therefore hope that gives you some ideas :)

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

What a great Reply RR
    ))))Waves((((