new horse, terrified and uncatchable :(

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by moccona, Mar 8, 2012.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Is there anyway to find some history on her?
    It would be interesting to see where she's been.

2. moccona

moccona New Member

I would love to know where she has come from, I will get some photos up who knows, someone may recognise her :)

3. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

So hard to suggest anything without actually knowing her but I'm loving GTD's advice.
    My old mare was a tough one to get close to at first but i spent a lot of time sitting in the small paddock and she eventually got curious enough to join me and I had LOADS of carrots on hand.
    Once she did that i started only feeding her hard feed if she came up to me, she was fat and had soaked hay to nibble on so she wasn't starved but after three days of not being given hard feeds she was eating from the bucket while I held it.
    My horse wan not aggressive luckily so if you did this it may take a lot longer and I'd be wearing a helmet too.

4. Jbear123

Jbear123 Active Member

HI Moccona,
    I would recommend getting assistance if you have been trying to offer her your support for this long without any real positive responses I would look at getting in some help maybe from a professional horse trainers whom has worked with these types of horses before.....

If she has never been in a stable before I would recommend somehow running her out into an open space maybe a round Panel yard setup about 10m wide so that when the trainer comes you have and area for them to work where the horse and the trainer are safe.

If you want to try and do it yourself you need to take into consideration that Horses have pressure zones like a bubble around them ( some have 100m zones others 20 to 1m depends on the horse ) when you step near or within that bubble the horse will feel threatened and react by turning to run, if running isnt an option then kicking or facing up then stricking, biting or rearing at you are some reactions you may see. Preasure on and off is the best way where you will slowly break down the horses bubble so you can stand near her and have her feel safe etc. Otherwise getting her into an open area where a professional can get a rope on her for you so you can do the rest if you have dealt with horses such as her before and prove to be competant enough to carry on the training.

From what you have said it sounds like your mare seems to feel threatened by the stable and the close closed environment I would let her out of the stable ( NOT OUT INTO A PADDOCK ) but into a yard that is more open and safe for you to introduce yourself to her from a distance without her feeling threatened by your presence as this is not good grounds to start a relationship with her from.

If you are in need of any further pointers or help please do not hesitate to PM me.