new guidelines for official/unofficial

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by liver bird, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

I know they don't include LR but you'd need to contact the persons on the Show Committee making the rules and ask them to clarify if they cover "Walk/Trot", which is normally only offered in the unoffical ring.

2. giddy up girl

giddy up girl Active Member

Oh really what did we all do before walk/ trot rings and unofficial classes......We all rode in the official ring! IF we couldn't canter properly or forgot a workout that was just a fact of life....we got a little better each time we went out and eventually we started to get it all together. Pony club was a great grounding for going out to a shows, here we learn't to ride out in the big open spaces.
    Bottom line I do think too many people are worried about winning a ribbon and have lost perspective about the bigger picture.

3. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

well if they dont include l/r then they should not include w/t as i dont see the diference its a joke really if these rules are coming into play then do and do it properly or dont do it at all this is the problem all the time no specific rules so it can be bent to suit it a load of manure if you ask me . so basically i can buy a top official pony and use it for leadline and all open classes but heaven forbid i should put a young rider on it even though its a safe kids mount in the unofficial ring to let the kid gain some experience . my my what a terrible thing to do . its pathetic im sorry if i upset anyone but if you look at it in black and white its so stupid. if a child is gaining confidence and experience then whats the problem. the only people who stay in unofficial are the people who hav no desire to try and compete at another level me for one am only trying to let my child have enough experience and knowledge to move up to the next level,
    but obviousley it is not the done thing but since when hav i ever worried about other people say or think , my priority has and always will be my kids safety so if i have to break rules then i will if it means my babys will be safe . what makes me laugh is a rider that is experienced can take a new pony in the unofficial ring as long as they dont do rider what a load of rubbish but a kid who cannot ride so good cannot take a well behaved pony into unofficial as this is deemed to be wrong . anyway ive had my rant so everyone knows how i feel . you may agree or disagree i dont mind my belief is everyone entitled to there own opinion i may not agree but i will listen and understand #( :))

4. liver bird

giddyup girl if you had or hav a kid that is inexperienced and you could put her in rings to suit her ability would you do it or would you still put her in the official ring???

5. giddy up girl

giddy up girl Active Member

I do have a child and she does compete in the ring that best suits her ability my discussion revolves around what happened when I competed as a child..we all survived and learnt from the experience. Really do you honestly believe your child is safer in the unoffiical ring with a bunch of other kids and often ponies that don't know what they are doing? What would really happen if they went official and didn't complete all the required canter or any....they might not get a ribbon...tell them how great they tried and how proud you are of them. It's the parents that flitter from one ring to the other that have caused the efa to take a stance and I suppose they really had no option. Of course we all have our childrens saftey as number 1 priority and thats why we ensure their ponies are safe.....do I really care if they win every week..no

6. Pony Tails

Pony Tails New Member

I think at the end of the day (i hate that saying) but I will use it anyway,at the end of the day the EFA & Show horse council are going to made a final ruling on it and that will be it, so I don't see why it is still an issue.

PS: you don't need to have a official pony to have a safe pony!!!!!!

There are alot of unofficial ponies out there that are safer than some official ponies.:))

7. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I guess they had a good reason for scraping the First Ridden, not everybody played it by the rules. :( So official ring it was for my son, much safer than the unofficial ring if you don't expect ribbons or to win. :) He did not wish to canter and nobody made him lol. When he was ready, he cantered and got his first blue ribbon, he was so proud. **) Big thanks to official judges who never looked down on him and helped him heaps. :))

8. liver bird

thats great what you did with your boy horsetalk but if you know my youngest then you would understand why i am reluctant to put her in the official ring she cant even do a simple 2 circle workout correct and she also panics when another pony is naughty , i do believe the walk/trot ring is the safest place for here at this moment . as for buying safe ponies i have had some of the safest unofficial ponies for my kids but the last 1 and her new one have both done official hunter and new one has done hack so i am aware of the safe unofficial ponies ( and i do admit that my elder daughter took the hunter in official also) a few times . i also allowed kids with little experience to take him in the unofficial ring but that was done in good faith and for the kids too have fun , but believe me that pony was no easy pony to ride but he was the safest pony i have ever had. it took cara at 12mths to win in the walk/trot ring on him unless he was the only one in the ring . i am not against rules i just think that these littleuns need to be catered for, 1st ridden would be great if it is specifically for kids to gain experience bfor going in the open ring and like i said before not for experienced riders to take there new/young ponies in , we have newcomers for that

9. mad -horse

mad -horse Active Member

Well i try not to get involved in all this unoffical / offical stuff but i do believe that kids can gain just a much if not more experience in the offical ring whether they can canter yet or not. My son rode at the Royal as a 6year old on a very hot pony in which he had to think every stride on. Many offical judges will remember the times he couldnt remember a work out or would canter because he wasnt up to it, and they were all very help full. We didnt care about the ribbon colour we did it for the fun and the experience. He did unoffical for about 3 months but because i presented his pony like an offical pony we told we could no longer compete in the unoffical .He went on for many years in the offical ponies and hacks still forgetting workouts but gained experience all the way.

All i can say is that if the horse is quality enough and safe enough there is no reason why the kids cant have as much fun in the offical as they do in the unoffical, and if you are that worried pick your shows, there are many shows that only have a hand full of small ponies go there to gain experience

10. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Sorry but I am now going have to put my two cents in. Giddy up is right and I hadnt really looked at it from that perspective until Giddy up said something so cheers for that!!!:)* :)*

When I competed there was only official or unofficial, the problems have all stemmed from this new "walk/trot" & "first ridden" situation that has caused nothing but grief for clubs,parents and committees.

My first experience in the official ring was my pony bolting out of the ring (would you believe at Perth H&PC!)...not on a "safe" pony (my parents had no idea!) and not an official pony...but it made me more determined to succeed, even with all the falls, the tears shed, the "im not riding anymore" moments and the "i never win a ribbon" moments.......and I damn well did!!
    I went on to wins at royal level and top 10 HOTY's etc. Not perhaps with that pony but with the ones that followed her!! And amongst all that I learnt that winning a ribbon is not everything and to get there it's damn hard work!!

If a child wants to ride to win they will practise at home, get lessons and take the bad with the good in learning to become better riders so that they can hold their own in the official ring.

Like I said before...if people have an issue with the decisions and rules being made, may I suggest you write to your club, association or national body or whatever to air your concerns.:D :p

11. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

I can see both sides of the story here, not as easy thing to define, which is exactly why there are so many issues with the whole thing. My daughter is unofficial, and will only ever be unofficial on her current pony. It has nothing to do with me not wanting to 'improve' her or give her more experience, the pony just isnt (and never will be) official type material!! (bless his fat, furry little soul)
    We have entered in first ridden classes where there have been many stunning, perfectly turned out riding ponies, who have worked perfectly the whole day, collected and on the bit, (even when the riders themselves were not riding them into the bit, just training obviously) who have then proceeded to take home all the placings in almost every event. Has this made me (and other mothers of fat, furry ponies) cry injustice?? Yes it has!! Its very disheartening for the kids on the lower quality ponies to miss out all the time to the real 'show ponies', and I have been witness to many arguments between parents regarding which ring which ponies should be competing in to keep things fair. (not always a pretty sight as we all well know lol) However after reading this thread I can now see things from the other side too! If I were ever to be able to afford a top quality show pony (rofl, AS IF!!) then I wouldnt expect my daughter to immediately go official.
    Although if she were to STAY unofficial on a quality pony then I could understandably be perceived as being in it 'only for the ribbons'.
    Although I love the concept of these FR/WT rings, unfortunately they really do seem to be the rings that are causing all the grief.
    thankyou to everyone for your input, like I said, I can now see things from both angles :)*

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have had an input into this thread also as it has been a good discussion about a highly talked about subject and noone has crossed the "laser line" :) I reckon you should all pat yourselves on the back :)*

To add to mochaminx's spiel...unfortunately we can't stop the well trained pretty ponies from entering certain events such as first ridden if thats what parents buy for their kids to start on then lucky for them. Otherwise this is going to get even worse and we would have to turn another ring into an unofficial and official first ridden (Walk/Trot)! :D :p **)

13. liver bird

listen ladies i understand your comments but can you answer some questions for me as you all know im a kindy hackie
    did the official ring have the standard of ponies/horses that there is today, also why was these onofficial rings introduced .
    at my eldest daughters 1st offical show she was constantly reminded by the judge that " you do realise this is the official ring " that was 2yrs ago .
    and i have also heard official competitors at ag shows complaining that unofficial riders are taking points off them by competing . so as the saying goes "you cant plz everyone" i for one would be happy to put my youngest in official 1st ridden no probs , so thats what i am gonna try and do with the help of other parents that also feel the need for these events to be reintroduced but with specific rules . good on you boys/girls who had no choice but to ride in the official ring i know some of you very well and i know the experience you all gained has been invaluable to me and my girls, but you also know that i cant help but stir things up i dont do it on purpose i just speak my mind and to anyone ive upset by this then i apoligise but if i dont speak up for my girls no one else will[​IMG]

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

LB I dont think you have upset anyone. You have just voiced your concerns and opinion which you are entitled to do :)

But I really hope they sit up and take notice of you....because your scary :) (just kidding) hahahaha :p **) :D :)

15. Cav

Cav Gold Member

[​IMG] <---ner ner mods i got it to work!

16. mochaminx

LB I dont think you have upset anyone at all, and like Cav said congrats to everyone for their conduct......when I first started reading this thread I thought it would end up locked for sure!!!
    Being a kindy hackie too, I've come to realize very quickly that in the hacking world you just have to 'suck it up' lol. I always remind Sienna not to ever expect any ribbons, but be very thankful if she gets any. I admit there have been a couple of shows where I've taken one look at her competition and just about put pony back on float and gone home (and spent the day doing something for ME for a change lol) .....but of course I never have. Like you said Cav you cant stop the well trained pretty ponies from entering, so those are the days I prepare Sienna that she probably wont get a look in that day, but just to try her best anyway. (luckily, being only 8, a promise of choccy bar at the end of the day if she tries hard still works a treat :)* )

17. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Two thumbs up Mocha:)* :)*

Isn't that how they learn it's ok not to win?? Isn't that where they learn good sportsmanship?

18. mochaminx

he he he, well considering she still has about 5 more years on Bluey (pony) before she outgrows him she might as well learn to lose gracefully :p :p :p

19. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i understand where both sides of it come from. as i do the odd hack show on my pony who is a pleasure pony and normally scruffy (clipped now) and her plaits never stay right haha. anyways back on track it is sometimes when disheartening when you see poshier looking horses tacking the ribbons but then again its not all about looks hehe i know that from my last show :)* yes cav im still high on the reserve. then again i know the debate is more little kids and leadliners but at least the older you get generally the showie horses are young and you can tell thats why they are unofficial.

20. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Someone mentioned that it is "unfair" for official riders to ride horses in the unofficial ring - usually it is for a reason! I would much prefer to ride in the official ring, however often hack my performance horses for experience and will take them unofficial if I don't think they are good enough, particularly if I am planning on selling them and don't want the new owner limited to official where the horse isn't going to ever do well :p

What do people think of a child starting in first ridden/walk trot as a 7 yo and still being in that ring at 10yo??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.