new guidelines for official/unofficial

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by liver bird, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

the efa is set to announce some new rules regarding official/unofficial
    heres a quick rundown of them
    a horse/pony must not compete in both official/unofficial regardless of the rider abilities
    the ponies /horses must stay out of official for 12mths bfor it can enter unofficial
    i dont know whether this applies to leadline/1st ridden
    what dya all think of that???:)*

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Sounds fair:) I think any set rules would be better than the hearsay at the moment**)

3. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Well they just killed off probably almost 100% of the official leading rein ponies that also compete as open small ponies with different riders....talk about a crucifiction!:( :(

4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Ok I am confused aren't Official lead rein and open both Official? So how would that affect them:confused:

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Cav, how do you figure that? Most official lead rein ponies I know of compete in official small pony classes, not unofficial :confused:

It is good to have something in writing :)

6. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Because some lead rein ponies like to go to all the lead rein events...including little britches and the such, so basically are they now saying there is official and unofficial lead rein again????:confused: :confused:

7. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

There has been official and unofficial lead rein at most events all year - so this will certainly not change anything! There were certainly no official ponies at Little Britches this year. Or at least none that I saw :) Plus it is run by a breed organisation so there is no restrictions on the horse, only the rider :)

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My query is with Beginners Shows...If a pony is official but ridden by a beginner, can they attend:confused: Most shows I have been to have Official and Unofficial lead rein classes. Pinjarra, Gosnells and Canning districts do. So I thought there had always been Official and Unofficial seperation of Lead rein:confused:

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Goodie, most beginner shows will specify in their programmes about official riders and/or ponies :)

10. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Not all clubs separate leading rein into the two rings.

It also will mean that for example (if I am reading this correctly)....I couldnt put my peanut on our little official pony in the leading rein unless he has been out of the official competition for 12 months. So does this mean he will have to sit in a paddock for 12 months doing nothing??

Am I also reading correctly that if you buy your child a pony thats been official in the last 12 months, you cannot put the new combination into the unnofficial ring regardless of experience of the rider (even though it will probably be a beginner rider with no idea!?)

:confused: :confused: Can someone please clarify??

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Pretty sure it used to be 2 years off before you could compete in Unofficial after Official (this could have just been hearsay though). I have yet to find a show that doesn't have lead rein for both ( doesn't mean their aren't any). As far as your little one on your Official pony, they could compete in Official immediately, most kids of lead rein age are beginners and they aren't asked to do anything in Official that they would't be asked to do in Unofficial:)

As of next year (for EFA) all kids will need to be 5yo to compete in leadrein, so they have a bit more chance to practise before getting out there:)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  12. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

As far as i am aware this has always been the "unwritten" rule and apparently has now been put into writing due to a number of complaints as such. I think it is a good idea and as far as i am aware it has never included lead rein, as offical lead rein didn't exist until recently with the exception of HOTY and the Royal.

Not many shows hold Official Lead Rein, however I know some PC have bought it in this year. How anyone could call a lead rein rider an offical rider is beyond me. And they have the right to attend unoffical lead rein shows such as Little Britches as where the hell else are they going to get ring experience. The kids themselves are beginners and if shows don't offer official (for the better turned out ponies) and unofficial for the scruffier ones then they all have to go in together and there should be no prejudice.

It is different to kids riding on their own. The shows always seem to offer them both unoffical & offical rings so the kids will still get ring experience. If the kids have quality enough ponies I don't see why you would keep them in the unofficial ring anyway, they'd probably get more exposure, ring craft and experience competing in the offical ring. Unless people are just worried about the colour ribbons the kids might or might not win.... thats the only reason I can think off, but if there are other reasons why the unoffical ring would be safer for the child to learn in than the offical please enlighten me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Cav, you can do leadrein, just as an "official" combination. As Goodie said, Peanut can't compete until 5year old anyway and I really haven't seen anything different between official and unofficial leadrein except for the turnout. Rider wise there isn't much difference.

As for the kids that are lucky enough to get an official pony... it shouldn't affect "First ridden" as first ridden is neither official or unofficial, and I have always stood by the fact that Official is actually a better starting ground as you tend to have less kids who are hoons. Most kids I know don't differentiate between one or the other, a competition is a competition :)

14. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Dollar, I have actually never understood why some shows are offering both official and unofficial lead rein this year. There never seems to be enough competitors to warrant it :confused:

15. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I think they should have all leadrein together at shows, then have "hack" classes and "fun" classes, so all the kids have a chance at a ribbon**) JMO:) Like the Pinjarra beginners program :)

16. Cav

Cav Gold Member

If you have an official quality pony but child cant canter properly yet, child cant remember workouts etc. If said combination goes into official ring, they will probably never get a ribbon and probably give up competing and lose heart. Lets all agree to disagree that at the end of the day.....we are there for the ribbons and the fun along the way. You can say your not but why spend all that time preparing, paying the money etc?

There has to be a happy medium somewhere???

17. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Yes I totally agree with you both. We haven't been out much this year but I have noticed a fews shows having both, which they haven't offered before.

But people saying a child who has competed in leading rein at the Royal or a HOTY is an offical lead rein rider does have knobs on it. They are still beginner riders, learning like everyone else and if a show only offers one ring they should all be eligable no matter what pony they are on. Other wise they would only be able to go to a handful of event in one year. And also consider that you do not need to qualify to compete at the Royal or HOTY's in lead rein so it is open to anyone.

I also agree with Mirawee in saying that when my child is old enough to ride on her own I would prefer her in the offical ring than the unoffical ring where the riders are a little less controlled at times. And especially if I could afford to buy her a quality enough pony who has already been out competing I just don't understand why you would want your child to stay in the unoffical ring.

18. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Cav, they have to canter in the unofficial ring as well, so I don't see the difference. And unless things have changed, workout tends to be a lot more important in the unofficial ring than the official one :p

19. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Cav there are plenty of kids in the offical ring that can not remember workouts, heck there are heaps of adults, and I can name a few that have done the wrong workouts numerous times even at HOTY after having it on paper in front of them.

All kids and adults have that problem to start with, they are all nervous and sometimes the work out doesn't sink in, but again the more exposure they get the better they will get at it.

If the child can ride well enough and has done for a time surely the child would be practicing cantering by now. My six year practices cantering (when she actually rides which is very rarely) and although her butt doesn't sit in the saddle that well it all comes down to practice practice practice doesn't it. We are all going to have to go throught that senario whether offical or unoffical.

20. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

well im am gonna hav my say
    my 8yr old daughter will not be competeing in the official ring until i say she is ready but i will state that when she can canter safely outside of home then and only then will she go official, at the end of the day she is my most treasured possesion and her safety is more important to me than any ribbon can ever be
    1 way to solve the problem bring back official 1st ridden thats it not hard is it even someone like me can figure out a solution the funny thing is when all these official ponies/horses go up for sale there market for them has just been halved
    i just wonder if anyone who had some say on this ruling has kids that it would effect ?? not likely i say
    i would be more than happy to put cara in official if she was catered for but she is not therefore she will stay where she is until either 1st ridden is back or she is capable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.