NEW! Friesian Sporthorse Association

Discussion in 'News Items' started by KPF, Jan 4, 2011.

1. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

News!
    The Friesian Sporthorse Association is the international studbook and Performance book holders for the True Friesian Sporthorse. Please visit their website to see if your horse is eligible for registration if you are interested in joining an international well respected association that caters specifically for the breed Friesian Sporthorse.

View details here...http://www.friesiansporthorseassociation.com/FSARegistrationGuidelinesAUSTRALIA.html

"The Friesian Sporthorse Association is the first registry dedicated exclusively to recognizing and promoting the true Friesian Sporthorse. We are also the first registry to recognize the Friesian Sporthorse as a breed, with specific guidelines for breeding and registration. It is our goal to encourage and recognize quality Friesian crossbreds bred especially as sporthorses, based on established sporthorse and Warmblood breeding practices and registration guidelines. We are not just another registry for recording Friesian crossbreds, we are a registry devoted exclusively to the Friesian Sporthorse, and devoted to the recognition and development of the Friesian Sporthorse as a breed. We will continue to build the reputation of the Friesian Sporthorse as a legitimate, reputable breed thru our strict Registration Guidelines, Breeding Approvals, and performance recognition. We aim to encourage people to breed with a specific sporthorse goal in mind, blending the wonderful qualities of the Friesian, with breeds such as the Warmblood and Thoroughbred, to create the best of both worlds, a true Friesian Sporthorse."

2. sil

sil Gold Member

Good to see!

ASSRA has both Saddlebred and Georgian Grande registries and I've notified them in order to let the breeders and owners know about the Friesian sporthorse registry.

The Friesian Saddlebred cross (Georgian Grande) has been successful in the USA so it's nice to see it recognised in Australia.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Looks interesting. I guess the only benefit for registering geldings is for the annual performance awards?

And am I reading this right? I could register Remy in the Main Book because he is friesian crossed with TB and his two generations back were the same (ie pure Friesians and pure TBs) but Saxon can only go in the Auxiliary book because he is 50% anglo.

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I am off to read now... all other major "sporthorse" or warmblood registries accept that Anglo Arabs for foundation stock - in fact a lot of European Warmbloods go back to Anglo Arabs.

ETA: just went and looked - I would have thought an Anglo x Friesian would give a much better horse suited to the Olympic discipline (which is what a sporthorse is all about) than a Friesian x Andalusian? Oh well I am sure the society has their own goals in mind :)

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

OK, I have a question now :)

Why can't you get Performance Book gradings through showjumping?

6. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Good question, I am not sure, but would suggest contacting the FSA directly and ask about it? They are the primary point of contact. I am very much learning and trying to get an understanding too. It's not a new society, they've been around for quite some time, but just like the KFPS didn't have equivalents that catered for Australian differences, neither did they, so the comparisons is a new thing, meant to be comparable to their original framework.
    I'm not sure about showjumping, sorry.

7. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Friesian Sporthorse FAQ's

this is a link to their FAQ page, which asks your question. If you wanted further clarification, it would be best to email FSA.

8. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Lin, I think 3 generations of pedigree means you can prove written 3 generations of 'known parentage', compared to "unknown breeding". Yep Remy would be Main Book - provide you can supply a proof of pedigree of some form to them.

I read the same as you with Saxon, but I'd email them to double check. Can't hurt to ask.

Forgot to add there's definately a huge benefit for registering a gelding, because realistically it doesn't matter what book he falls in, and all registered stock get the recognition they deserve through the performance books if they are successful in the sports, and the jump from levels is actually quite steep so when you get to a certain status, it means a lot more and is respected internationally and this studbook recognises the hardwork that's gone into a horse to get it there.

9. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

had a look at this a few weeks ago and it looks good. Intend to register Kit with them shortly.

10. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

That's great Sil, I'm not at all familiar with the Georgian Grande, but it must be a successful cross elsewhere in the world. Perhaps we will start to see more of them in the future...maybe I'll get to meet one!

11. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Kimaley I believe Kit would be eligible for entry to the main book and if you have show records to prove and can get some clarification on entry numbers in classes, then these performances can go toward his recognition as Bronze Elite also.

12. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Oh wow, thats awesome! Can definitely easy enough prove all his show results and will continue showing him so hopefully he can earn a Bronze Elite soon enough :)

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

They obviously haven't done a lot of research with Sporthorse breeding :eek:

"Why are some non-traditional breeds acceptable for Auxiliary Book registration, and others are not?

Some non-traditional breeds have been proven to cross nicely specifically with Friesians, while still keeping the Friesian Sporthorse objective in mind. Because these breeds are not as accepted or proven for sporthorse breeding as Warmbloods or Thoroughbreds, they are not eligible for Main Book registration, however they do deserve a place in the development of the Friesian Sporthorse, and therefore are eligible for full registration in the Auxiliary Book. "

Why then do many of the top Warmblood lines have Anglo Arabian in them? :(

I am not having a go at you KPF, I just find it very difficult to read things that are untrue on websites (have just sent an email to the owner of a dog website telling them their information is not correct as well *#)

14. sil

sil Gold Member

They are based on Saddlebred but of a heavier type. The Friesian/Saddlebred and Percheron/Saddlebred seem to be the most popular. It makes sense as a cross with more riding-oriented features than the race-oriented Thoroughbred.

Georgian Grande-Champion GG's

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

It's just one more registration I dont need thanks.